SAU Community

Max Airflow On Std Afm And Max Power From Std Injectors?

Wacky Dee

have been dreaming of doing a stage 2 upgrade (pfc, z32, gcg hiflow etc) but simply can't afford the $6k or so that it'd cost. So I've lowered my target power and have noticed some cheaper options like the $800 hypergear hiflow etc

Anyway, was just wondering what the max psi/airflow that a stock R34 (GT-T) AFM can manage ? I can't get a z32 because I don't have a powerfc and have no plans on spending upwards of $2k on one .. if I do upgrade anything I'd have the stock ecu remapped instead (ign. timing and AFRs)

But I'm pretty sure that the stock AFM can't really handle a lot more than 12psi right ? What about the stock fuel injectors .. how much power are they good for to be safe?

My target would be 235-240rwkw with good low down response/torgue and power - don't care about highend power as I don't think I've ever revved it past 5,000 rpm (its strictly a daily driver)

are the standard r34 njectors 370CC ? if I were to get them highflowed to say 500cc would I be able to do that with a stock ecu (with remap) or does bigger injectors automatically mean u need a PFC (or other non standard ecu) ?

What about the stock AFM .. does anyone know the max it can handle?

yeah 300HP is a bit too low though ..aiming for 340HP or so.

Are there any inexpensive replacement AFM for R34 GTT that can manage more airflow than the stock one without the need for an aftermarket ecu like powerfc?

• 3 weeks later...

not really because each AFM measures different amount of air and has different calibration

im putting 480CCs and Z32 into my R34 GTT ... running with Nistune Type 4 board (making your own stuff is always a bonus here...) but yeah its a cheaper option than full aftermarket ECU

hm never heard of this nistune daughterboard before .. at $240 for the board I'm surprised it isn't more popular around here ?? What are the limitations on these boards .. can they be used to tune AFRs and ingition timing ?

1.5 bar (22psi) on standard R34 GT-T AFM .. you're bsing me right?? I'm looking to run 15-16psi tops What do you mean by 'fpr' ?

Edited by Delta Force

1.5 bar (22psi) on standard R34 GT-T AFM .. you're bsing me right?? I'm looking to run 15-16psi tops What do you mean by 'fpr' ?

no bs, i am running 1.5 bar then drops to 1.2 bar as for high boost. i was surprised with the result too, i would believe everything is maxing out. now i am looking for bigger injectors and Z32 AFM, then will take it to retune and see whats the difference.

if you cant afford the 6k for a proper turbo upgrade including ancillaries then dont bother changing the turbo

just spend some money (small amount) on improving the std turbo setup, youll be surprised how well you can set it up

any turbo change you do will be botched with poor parts and it will likely fail and cost you more in the end, and take longer

so if you cant afford the 5-6k then dont bother. a $800 turbo is just a death trap waiting to fail, and put your engine at risk at the same time

you will be fine on the standard AFM and injectors, i am maxing out my standard injectors with a fpr and have 250kw at the wheels runing 1.5 bar.

Engine Kw maybe or wheel Hp.......no way 250rwkw unless the dyno is the happiest in the world. The stock AFM can't flow 450hp worth of air, nor can the turbo & the injectors would need to be on 100% duty + massive pressure behind them....if it were that simple there would be a fleet of these magic R34's in every capital city.

I'm guessing to be running 1.5Bar there has been a turbo upgrade and supporting mods, maybe the owner before you did them?

250rwkws can be archived with a 71mm high flow using standard R34 rear turbine and comp housing. as far as stock AFM and injector they gets maxed at 230rwkws. With stock ECU you can get 215rwkws using 98 fuel and slight timing advancing.

The $800 is not for a brand new complete turbo. Its for a brand new CHRA and labor to re-profile your stock housings to suit. it looks like this after high flow:

t3hfs.jpgt3hf2s.jpg

Our turbos are cheaper because they are made locally, we do use quality Garrett components in our turbo building. So you do get a quality product saving from exchange rate, shipping, duty, and tax. plus the money you spend goes to hard working Australians who’s been building turbos for the past 25 years.

Edited by hypergear

Our turbos are cheaper because they are made locally, we do use quality Garrett components in our turbo building. So you do get a quality product saving from exchange rate, shipping, duty, and tax. plus the money you spend goes to hard working Australians who’s been building turbos for the past 25 years.

They are cheaper because they are bush bearing.

Not because they are made here.

Anyone can make a bush bearing turbo for under a grand :(

Hence the GCG price is higher, as they are using the better bearing type.

R31Nismoid

I guess you are half right, Sleeve bearings turbos are cheaper to make. If you are in Melbourne come pass I'm happy to meet you in person and go for a quick visit to our cooperating workshops to witness some manufacturing process. We’ve been doing that since April 07.

As for Bush bearings we are using original Garrett Bearing kits, You can't get better bearings then those. Ball bearing is optional. It will cost $350 more if you do what to use a Garrett GT2871R ball bearig CHRA.

As for bearing wise BB is using a roller catriges, and bush bearing is using 2x Alloy bearings. Ball bearing turbos do pickup slight better response.

Below is a boost and curve of our ATR28SS Bush bearing high flow against factory Ball bearing turbo running on stock RB25 with factory ECU managment.

atr28ssRB25200kws.jpgatr28ssRB25200kwboosts.jpg

Edited by hypergear