SAU Community

Exploding Lpg Cars

Phatboy

Never heard of it until these three cases in the last few months:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/...l?from=storyrhs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/332910...-cigarette.html

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/wife-j...2818413587.html

I'm assuming the govt subsidy for LPG conversion and the high price of petrol few months back caused a large increase in LPG vehicles on the road, so maybe it's just probability at play, but it makes me dislike LPG even more (apart from the fact you end up with no boot space).

If you're going LPG, I guess the moral of the story is to get it professionally installed and don't smoke in cars!

my mum got her gas put on her 95 falcon.

nothing but trouble, at least every fortnight its back there getting this done and that done.

its like they just put the gas bottle in the boot and that was it. Spark plugs i think needed changing after, some more testing.

and the other day sounded like the car exploded, massive back fire with a end result of a destroyed air box in 3pieces !!!

car was running awsome (besides there typical gearbox) before putting gas on !

nothing but trouble, at least every fortnight its back there getting this done and that done.

its like they just put the gas bottle in the boot and that was it. Spark plugs i think needed changing after, some more testing.

and the other day sounded like the car exploded, massive back fire with a end result of a destroyed air box in 3pieces !!!

Yes thats a very common problem with Taxis. They go to take off from the lights,Car stalls and goes BOOOM ! explosion in the intake blows the airbox to pieces. Happens all the time in the city

i'd say it would just depend if its done properly or not. i had my old 2000 holden berlina put on gas and the only problem i had was the spark plugs they put in were apparently cracked. other than that its been fine for almost 6 months

Some young kids burnt to death a few years back a couple of suburbs away, a fella I used to work with had his uninsured car and shed burn to the ground while firing up a system his mate had just installed.

Both were backyard cowboy installs.

Poor kids, silly dad.

Have had the same thing happen in a VP Commonwhore. Had my work car - a Falcodoor put on gas and had massive issues at first also. Seems pretty common.

my mum had a 95 falcon on gas

f**king piece of shit

broke down every fortnight

back fired like a 90 yr old smoker and would occasionally freeze up

the best option if you want to maintain safety, improve performance & economy is Liquid injection

http://www.australianlpgwarehouse.com.au/P...-Injection.aspx

+1

liquid injection conversions lately are getting very good results, 20-30kw gains in a couple of XR6 turbo conversions i heard of recently..

i am looking into the possibility of converting my datsun 1600 to straight gas using liquid injection, with the Z18 Turbo engine..

My daily has LPG and the conversion is rough as guts.

Car is pretty f**ked, and a lot of the issues stem back to this.

Not to mention that I'd never buy a Ford again.

didnt bother to read the articles but my daily gets its LPG installed on the 17th...lol

where'd your mum get hers done TJ?

not to sure, plus cause of the dodgey job and SAU forums rules i wouldn't be allowed to post their name

my mum had a 95 falcon on gas

f**king piece of shit

broke down every fortnight

back fired like a 90 yr old smoker and would occasionally freeze up

My daily has LPG and the conversion is rough as guts.

Car is pretty f**ked, and a lot of the issues stem back to this.

Not to mention that I'd never buy a Ford again.

BLoody fords ! women needs to sell up and get a mazda 6 like she always wanted

Has anybody had a backfire through a pod filter?

I am running an airbox, but would like to install a pod, would it just blow to pieces like the airbox or worse?

the best option if you want to maintain safety, improve performance & economy is Liquid injection

http://www.australianlpgwarehouse.com.au/P...-Injection.aspx

Looks great. Increases power, economy and unobstrusive. Love it. One question though... what happens when you get a flat tyre?

BLoody fords ! women needs to sell up and get a mazda 6 like she always wanted

Mazdas are good cars. They seem to sweep all the small-to-medium car awards.

One question though... what happens when you get a flat tyre?

:P Um.........put on the spare!!!!!! Seriously tho, there are a few tank options.

If I was looking at going liquid injection gas I'd be considering dedicated as well.

:P Um.........put on the spare!!!!!! Seriously tho, there are a few tank options.

If I was looking at going liquid injection gas I'd be considering dedicated as well.

Er.. I thought the tank replaces the spare?

Oh wait... I think you were joking? Not sure... written word doesn't convey a lot of overtone :laugh:

If I were ever going LPG (eg., if petrol, diesel, coal and hydrogen became extinct) I would go with run-flats and the liquid injection tank in the spare wheel well. Dedicated ones eat up too much of my boot space!

Er.. I thought the tank replaces the spare?

Oh wait... I think you were joking? Not sure... written word doesn't convey a lot of overtone :laugh:

If I were ever going LPG (eg., if petrol, diesel, coal and hydrogen became extinct) I would go with run-flats and the liquid injection tank in the spare wheel well. Dedicated ones eat up too much of my boot space!

Soz m8, yeah was havin a larf..............

If you went dedicated the fuel tank becomes redundant and removed, hence where the new gas tank/s will go.

It's a pricey system tho. Dedicated LGI for my V8 was going to cost 8K :P . Would take a l....o....n.....g time to pay for itself.

Soz m8, yeah was havin a larf..............

If you went dedicated the fuel tank becomes redundant and removed, hence where the new gas tank/s will go.

It's a pricey system tho. Dedicated LGI for my V8 was going to cost 8K :laugh: . Would take a l....o....n.....g time to pay for itself.

No probs :P Oh, now I understand what you meant by dedicated. Crikey 8k is waaay too much to pay for more boot space.