SAU Community

ticking noise!!??

inark

guys has anyone got any idea what this ticking noise could be coming from my car? (other than a bomb)

it only happens sometimes... like tonight i filled up at the servo... took off... went to do a u turn and gave it a bit of stick round the corner... went to the lights and it started ticking! sounded like a metal ticking noise... quite loud.

then when i got home and went to check it out it stopped... well it stopped b4 i got home...

its happend a few times recently... seems to be after i give it a bit of a caining... but then again i took it around the rds just then and thrashed it and nothing... sounds normal.

If its a turbo gasket you'll here it eminating from around the turbo (obviously), and it'll gradually get worse.

Thats what mine did.

When it starts ticking again, get someone to rev it and stick your head near the turbo and have a good listen.

Though my noise didn't come and go as yours does?

cool... hasnt done it for ages... oil is fine theres no leaks anywhere from what i can see... but eric ur suggestion sounds like it could have some merit as it did end up going away once the car was warmed up properly... mind u it hasnt happend since i posted this :)

Originally posted by pushead

the noise comes on right behind the dash right? like a clinging ticking noise but after the car is warmed up properly its ok .

yeah i get that too

its like a creaking sound but once the engine is warm it goes away

what is that?

I also get this ticking noise when I first start the car up from cold. Idles for about a minute then goes away...dosen't sound nice when it does it though...

It's not the lifters or injectors, very loud and distinct, and only happens when I start it in the morning.

I have read a few other forums and could it be the oil pump not working properly when it's cold?

I think we all would be GREATLY appreciative if someone knows what is happening...

Cheers

I had a decent listen this morning (sat) and I think it sounds like the lifters or something in that part of the engine, because it stills make noise after its started, so possible not the starter motor or something....I have no idea really, take it to the experts when I can...

• 3 weeks later...

just to let anyone know still interested in this, I haven't been able to get to Ice Performance yet, but I found out (I think) why my engine was making a ticking noise; I was parking on a lean and the oil must of drained almost completely out of one side of the head and thus when I started it in the morning there was no oil there to lube up the cam and lifters, etc. until the pump got the oil up there. Have been parking on level ground since and not one ticking noise!!

hoorah!