SAU Community

Cruise Control

910trx

hi guys, ive driven my stagea 3 times and already have a fine for $200 because i got caught speeding - it is just to easy in this car, in the datsun you felt every km, this one warp speed is a stroll in the park.

i'm looking into a cruise control kit to beter enable consistent driving at the 100km speed limit as i found the sweet spot to be in the 120 region - hence the fine :(

i also have an ichy right foot and having something to maintain speed for me would be fantastic.

i hate speed alerts because they dont do anything besides give you the shits with beeping when you are 1km over.

i also do a lot of hwy driving

i was wondering if anyone had fitted cruise control to their stagea - or skyline? which one you bought? any issues associated with the install? and if you did it yourself?

i'm keen on an AP 50 kit (google it) and although it has a simple control panel, it has what i need, works for cable operated throttle bodies and has brake cut out. it uses magnets on the tail shafts to give a pulse reading, yet i have read that it had a max pulse reading of 5000 per minuite, which in some 4x4's this has been fitted to tend to not work above 100kmph.

considering the stagea has a pretty high dif ratio (4 speed auto) compared to a rock climbing 4x4 i',m assuming this will be alright.

also have read mixed reviews regarding the tailshaft magnets falling off - some do some dont... :D

about $200 for the unit is not too bad considering my speeding fine was $200.

but let me know what you think, or any past and wonderful threads on the subject, my search revealed nothing.

Cheers

Dan

I've had cruise in my stag for ages because, like you, I can't be trusted. I use it all the time (every day when I was commuting on the freeway), even use it when towing the race car.

I got this installed. http://www.cruisecontrol.com.au/ac4400.html. It does have different controls to the pic it has a stalk instead of the buttons shown.

Been very happy with how it works, no issues or concerns at all. Only thing I can't remember is the price but it was definately more than 200.

I've had cruise in my stag for ages because, like you, I can't be trusted. I use it all the time (every day when I was commuting on the freeway), even use it when towing the race car.

I got this installed. http://www.cruisecontrol.com.au/ac4400.html. It does have different controls to the pic it has a stalk instead of the buttons shown.

Been very happy with how it works, no issues or concerns at all. Only thing I can't remember is the price but it was definately more than 200.

was it a self install or a "propper job"

there are only a few mechanics in my town which i would consider, but no deditaced auto sparkeys, only mechs with good with sparky stuff.

might phone the nissan dealer and see what they can do for me... ($$$)

Edited by 910trx
  • Like 1

http://www.autoxtreme.com.au/catalogue/lis...idProduct=10251

http://www.autoxtreme.com.au/catalogue/lis...idProduct=10207

fitted this one myself, although I wouldnt recommend fitting yourself unless you know what youre doing. the steering wheel IR controls fits nicely onto the S2 wheel and looks factory.

the command AP series appear to be the way to go, but i got my local nissan dealer seeing if there are any genuine ones or ones they supply/prefer over other aftermarket items.

the command ones appear in all searches but for sure i'll get someone else to do it. i dont have the tools up here and this way if it stuffs up, i can take it back.

i sell command cruise control units where i work. I can get you a decent price including postage if you like, otherwise tou can come to brisbane and i'll get it fitted for you too. :-) Pretty sure you would need to allow $400-$500 for the unit (turbo cars needs an electronic actuator as opposed to the cheaper vacuum actuator for obvious reasons) including steering wheel controls or a stalk mounted control module.

Can get you an exact price that may be more or less than that if you like.

i sell command cruise control units where i work. I can get you a decent price including postage if you like, otherwise tou can come to brisbane and i'll get it fitted for you too. :-) Pretty sure you would need to allow $400-$500 for the unit (turbo cars needs an electronic actuator as opposed to the cheaper vacuum actuator for obvious reasons) including steering wheel controls or a stalk mounted control module.

Can get you an exact price that may be more or less than that if you like.

i'm keen of a price please, just supplied

i'm a bit far north to get to brizzy

unless you want to come to Gladstone :)

i think i'm set on the command unit brand that runs off the speedo not the tailshaft. but not keen on a control panel (looks clumbsy) or the stalk on the steering column (i like to sit close to the wheel with my knees either side - just my preferred method) and fear breaking the column. what i'm after is the one with the panel that slots into the steering wheel between the spokes. cm21 (?)

vs55216-thum1251.jpg

i'd like it to look neat and not too after market.

i have an S2 but dont know how the card like panel will effect possible airbag deployment.

i wont install myself, i'll find a sparky to do it or some guy who is good with alarms etc, i would happily do it but i dont have the tools here - not my nissan dealer, they said a command unit would cost up to $1500 installed! ;)

cant find the electric actuator unit but is it possible to run a vaccume unit with a vac reservoir tank?

I would stay away from the vacuum units, stick with electronic, here are some pics of my install, IR panel is modified and bolted to the side inspection panel on the wheel. the LED below the tacho is the CC status light. IR receiver is attached to side of steering column. Probably the most time consuming part is the calibrating, lots of highway driving to get the CC setup settings just right, as they need fine adjustments for each car.

post-780-1236344913_thumb.jpg

post-780-1236344948_thumb.jpg

post-780-1236344981_thumb.jpg

$1500 is a bit rich haha holy hell!

I'll get you a price on the best kit to suit, and the controller in your picture. i'll post here or PM you tomorrow.

Can run a vacuum tank but meh may as well run the electric one, i have a couple sitting there.

You can do a transfer or something and i'll send it up, or i can give a store closer to you a call and arrange for you to pick one up there.

$1500 is a bit rich haha holy hell!

I'll get you a price on the best kit to suit, and the controller in your picture. i'll post here or PM you tomorrow.

Can run a vacuum tank but meh may as well run the electric one, i have a couple sitting there.

You can do a transfer or something and i'll send it up, or i can give a store closer to you a call and arrange for you to pick one up there.

alright go electric and give me a rough fig please.

i was gonna risk it on evil bay but chances it is 90% right and 90% complete

yeah the dealer said that only ONE person in the work shop was qualified to do it.

really it is NOT that hard - prices for a vaccume unit i have found so far have ranged from $200 to $400

approx $100 per hour for a dealer ship (over estimate but still) is 8 to 10 hours to install!!!

really i can only believe it could be a 4-5 hour job if i had the tools and equip here ;)

Lil bobby - you have been ever so helpful

and goes for the rest of you with my noob stagea questions so far

Edited by 910trx

yeah the auto...

do you have a supplier or recommended installer somewhere in Rockhampton or Gladstone?

do you still have the wired cruse panel with this one, or is it just the IR card on the steering wheel?

The CM21 is infra red, yes.

If its a manual you just get a clutch sensor switch that tells the cruise to disengage as it detects the clutch is disenaged.

I guess you could just wander into any store that sells them and say you've been quoted that much and they should match it no worries. If they dont i'll freight them up to you through couriers please or something - about $8.

We would fit that setup for $200 here.

awesome!

give me a bit to do some local quotes n stuff.

and to see of i have not been blown away by this cyclone coming...

Cheers!