SAU Community

Can An Auto R34 Gt-t Skyline Still Be Modified To Outperform An Auto V8?

Samhain

I am looking to buy an R34 GT-T Skyline in automatic and max out the engine with performance parts. This is chiefly due to the fact that I don't know how to drive manual and couldn't be bothered learning. I am not buying the vehicle solely for performance. I just want the look of a skyline with a bit of performance there to back it up. However, is it still possible to modify an auto R34 to outperform a stock auto V8?

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Chris.

Jesus walked on water :shakes head:

Short answer, yes you can...

How much will it cost??? Who knows, top fuel dragsters are pretty fast...

EDIT> Forgive my scarscasim, but what are you compairing too??? There are automatic V8's out there that could not peel the skin off a 25 minute old cup of coffee. Then on the other hand you have 9 second street cars roaming round with number plates ready to smash 1000cc motorbikes like their scooters...

Depends if you're talking about a Lexus IS-F or run of the mill Holdens and HSV's from yester-year. My R34 is an auto and it sure isn't slow :P

$10K of mods will get you something fairly swift, $15K will also cover a fully worked gearbox and other mystery components that always crop up when chasing Kw's....then there is suspension and wheels etc etc

Look honestly you can be as fast as you want... It just comes down to money... :P

Edit> Dont listern to the auto vs manual debate, do what suits you... Your the owner, your the driver its yours to choose and enjoy...

I'd personally stick with a HKS GT-RS, get the gearbox strengthened and stick with a nice solid ~260rwkw+ which you'll find more than entertaining. Don't go nuts and put a massive turbo on as most places can't guarantee more than 300rwkw through the tiptronic even with the decent upgrade kits, the flex plate also lets go past that and you really should be looking at internal upgrades which once again = $$$

Okay, I guess i'll go with the auto. After 5-10 grand of engine mods, I was just hoping to be able to give yer average SS a run for its money.

Thanks guys.

Thers no real point comparing an auto skyline to an auto v8, honestly theres a great old debate you see pop up from time to time of which is better and in all honesty its a money game nothing else. As for auto transmission, there are people out there that swear by auto's and same goes for manuals. Both gearboxes have there benefits. turbo auto cars dont need to come off boost to change gears for example. There are always mods you can do to an autos gearbox to increase its performance like a manual valve body conversion, once again its just a money game. I drive an auto r34 and love it, btw im in the same boat as you, no manual license and couldnt be bothered to go out and get one.

Your average SS can only run a 14 second qtr mile... Auto or manual...

The older ones are even slower again...

A few mild mods and an SS runs 13's but it gets pretty expensive for an SS to go faster than that... (ie. Cam, head work, forced induction etc)

Now an R34 auto with a few mods would be able to run a 13 also maybe even a high 12 with some sticky tyres and a good 260rwkw as Dan suggested...

Is this what you needed to know???

(Note: I actually own a VE SS as my current daily. Its a 6 speed manual and has about every mod you can do without opening it up. It runs a 12.9 on street tyres at street pressure and pump fuel. Now my mate owns the same car with the same mods, even the same tune but his is auto. He runs a 12.4 so in VE SS land the auto is faster than the manual.

The differences in our times is as obvious as the 60 foot time, the auto launchs much harder without wheel spin than the manual... The ESP control in the manuals prevents you from over powering the launch, yet does not help if you under power the clutch dump, so you need to be perfect... As where the auto allows the driver to just step on both pedals and let go of the brake when the light goes green. The ESP then gives the transmission the exact amount of power it can handle without wheel spin, hence a much faser 60 foot time and over all ET...)

Food for thought...

PS> Dont be tempted on the streets, take it to the track... Time slips are better than fines...

Well i have an auto R33 and it will beat most stock Aussie V8's up to VT and AU. An R34 has the NEO engine which has a few more HP then the older RB25 engines. The Auto box is a little better also. But if you want to keep up with the latest model V8's and turbo 6's the you would need to do many mods to get around 260KWs at the wheels.

Mods Needed and approx cost

Intercooler and installation - $700 (non jap brand more for HKS ect..)

Induction mods - $100 for panel filter or POD

ECU - Emanage Ultimate - $2000 for unit, installation and tuning

New turbo - just asy $1500 to $2000 for supply and installation (get this installed before the ECU and only pay for 1 tuning session)

Boost controller - $600 supplied and installed for an electronic boost controller

There are a few things I am sure that I have forgotten but you can see that paying retail you will be up for thousands, and this is not even touched the brakes or suspension.

Hmm, fuel system upgrade for 260rwkw or not?

'Course, you have to remember that you'd be doing most of these if it were a manual anyway, so i guess it comes down to how much the stock gearbox can take. It'll cost about the same to get there auto or manual.

Edited by sneakey pete

Hmm, fuel system upgrade for 260rwkw or not?

'Course, you have to remember that you'd be doing most of these if it were a manual anyway, so i guess it comes down to how much the stock gearbox can take. It'll cost about the same to get there auto or manual.

Well currently on my skyline im seeking 300rwkw's, build begining end of april.

Current mods are

Hybride FMIC

Apexi AVCR

3" Turbo back Kakimoto exhaust

HKS Fuel Pump

Turbosmart Fuel Regulator

Apexi Pod

Nistune ECU chip

And the mods im going to be doing in the near future to try and reach that 300kw mark are:

Plenum + 80mm Throttle body

Cams

gt35r turbo

High mount 6boost manifold

800cc injectors + Fuel Rail

MVbody and gearbox rebuild

some form of stall kit

even after all of this i may only be looking at like 275 to 280rwkw's depending on how the standard internals go and the gearbox, may need to look at a slightly smaller turbo.

I believe if your going to be pushing over that 250rwkw's mark id be looking at doing something with your gearbox.

Edited by Sammy34

You dont need to touch the plenium, throttle body or cams to make 300rwkw...

Also 800cc injectors are over kill, 550's are perfect...

As for the turbo the smaller GT3037, GT30r or GT30/40 would also be suitable for 300rwkw, just depends on how you want your power to come on...

PS> 300rwkw in an auto means quite a bit of power at the fly, when you get up around these numbers a forged rebuild is a must if you want it to last...

You dont need to touch the plenium, throttle body or cams to make 300rwkw...

Also 800cc injectors are over kill, 550's are perfect...

As for the turbo the smaller GT3037, GT30r or GT30/40 would also be suitable for 300rwkw, just depends on how you want your power to come on...

PS> 300rwkw in an auto means quite a bit of power at the fly, when you get up around these numbers a forged rebuild is a must if you want it to last...

i agree, yeh the injectors are overkill but i got a deal on custom fuel rail with those injectors, made it cheaper all round. As for the cams i meant the cam gears, going for more response rather than power, so were looking at the gt35r for a reason but you could be right in saying that a smalelr turbo would be the way to go. Guess jsut hafto see how it all pans out.

It depends on the setup, you would need a good 500hp @ the crank to get close to 300kw @ tyre's maybe a bit more in an auto.

400hp is a good goal at the tyres.

Sammy mate you want need 800cc mate, one of our rail kit's and 650 VDO injector's will be more than enough for 400@wheel's.

Standard injectors are only good for about 200 to 220KW from memory, and fuel pump would need to be upgraded too. Thats over $1000 in itself. Damn how could I forget that.

Emm...I am running standard injectors and I currently have 250rwkw....though I have a 600hp fuel pump, a fuel reg, cams, minor head work, KKR430, etc etc etc. Thats not stressing the injectors either.

Okay, I guess i'll go with the auto. After 5-10 grand of engine mods, I was just hoping to be able to give yer average SS a run for its money.

Thanks guys.

________________________________________________________________________________

_____________-

so as to prove what ?????????????? lol :P

as if anyone will care - better to spend the money on yourself - lol

its fairly easy to do only thing is your transmission will need a stage 1 and 2 build up at least i had a r34 auto pushed out 290rwkw had to get engine rebuilt g/box, inj , comp , fuel pump , reg , etc.. ), and use a 3000rpm stall converter works best on the tiptronics

Edited by 53XYN