SAU Community

Has Anyone Had Any Sucess With Chinese Wastegates ?

I'd steer clear man.

Some Chinese parts are okay, like downpipes and whatnot, but I wouldn't put my faith in something mechanical that could fail easily and trash your engine.

Just my point of view.

ive been using one for over 2 years now no problem. holds what ever boost i want it to (14psi and up). Just lap the valve into the seat to give it a decent seal and have had no dramas

the jjr ones look like a straight copy of the HKS units, I looked at 'em, but found a s/h HKS unit that I rebuilt - it was a bit more expensive than a chinese knock off, but it was worth it [and it was way cheaper than a new HKS one].

Tial and such aren't that expensive anyway, your only saving a $100-200 total.

We used one of the Just Jap 50mm gates on an SR20 with a 3071R 0.63. Holds boost mint together with e AVC-R, havent had any dramas so far, been running for bout 6 months.

You may get a result, but its consistency you want.

CHEAP-FAST-RELIABLE <- you can only have 2.

If its cheap, might go fast but wont be reliable.

If is fast and reliable, it wont be cheap

so on

Spoken like a true salesman of expensive parts :ermm:

I also run 50mm HKS Copy chinese gate from the states and it works perfect. 14psi spring with boost controller i run 20psi no creep constant strong boost to redline.. thats been on nearly a year now without a drama.Its not rocket science in design seriousily.

Edited by l0WRB

I had a faulty one on a SR20 running a T70. one of the grub screws that hold the valve into the diaphram hat fell out and was leaking manifold pressure like an internal bleed valve. The result was the first time I held the car on full load the boost short past 25lb. It was very exciting for about 1 second till luckily a hose blew off and it save it all from certain death.

Granted putting the grub screw back in properly did solve the problem and it was able to regulate to 20lb with a 38mm gate just fine, but still Id never buy one again.

Get a turbosmart ultra gate or something Jap brand named and you dont have to worry about dodgy assembly quality.

* yep cheap gates are the best.....

* Only for apllications where overboosting, stuck bypass valves and burst/split diaphragms are needed. In fact they are perfect for those wishing to let thier engine expire prematurely.

please dont bring them anywhere near me (unless they are fully sorted) as the amount of times ive had to send customers home to repair / replace dodge chinese wastegates is unbelievable.

Edited by URAS

A wastegate is a very simple device, it's only a matter of time before the "chinese" develop one with the proper materials. That's said I wouldn't run one of those "chinese" gates just yet.

I run a Synapse 50mm gate which doesn't have a traditional diaphragm design and has built in boost settings. Oh yeah.. it's made in China :D

Edited by maximajim

I dunno it seems kinda silly to cut corners there when a shitty one could potentially wreck a $3000+ engine build. I'd be cutting corners more on say the intercooler and exhaust than something which is regulating boost pressure.