SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

9 hours ago, Super Drager said:

How tight of a fit is it? Doesn't foul on anything? 

It's a pretty tight fit but not impossible - Only thing it does foul on is the aircon drain pipe which I just chopped shorter. 
The only pain in the ass thing is the flange to manifold bolts are a bitch to get on and require some patience. 

• 1 month later...

Some video footage from Last weeks Victoria Time attack at Philip Island GrandPix. 

ATR45SAT Turbocharger Powered Top Stage S14 SR20det (400rwkws @28psi, E85 fuel). Taking first in Modified class. Driven by John Richardson

• Like 2

Posted in my own build thread, but relevant for this thread.

I got myself a Hypergear G3 high flow on a 21U turbo. I've had pretty good results, making 230rwkw @ 14psi on 98RON. This particular dyno graph shows boost dropping at the top end, this is because (due to my own request) Tao put on a 10psi OEM wastegate, and it just wasn't up to the task.

I've put on an aftermarket wastegate (pictured) and it now pulls 18psi happily all the way to redline.

I installed the turbo myself and it was very straightforward. Overall stoked with the results.

dyno.PNG

wastegate 1.PNG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just repaired a blown Borgwarner EFR with no exhaust wheel. Luckily the compressor wheel is undamaged. It has been fitted onto one of our ATR CBB cores with a custom grind turbine wheel to suit the original turbine housing profile. Looking to match original power figure before turbo failure, hopefully with a bit more torque through mid range.

orgcore.JPG

chra1.JPG

turbine.JPG

• Like 1

Posted in my own build thread, but relevant for this thread.
I got myself a Hypergear G3 high flow on a 21U turbo. I've had pretty good results, making 230rwkw @ 14psi on 98RON. This particular dyno graph shows boost dropping at the top end, this is because (due to my own request) Tao put on a 10psi OEM wastegate, and it just wasn't up to the task.
I've put on an aftermarket wastegate (pictured) and it now pulls 18psi happily all the way to redline.
I installed the turbo myself and it was very straightforward. Overall stoked with the results.

dyno.thumb.PNG.9ba27bddec5b8d2d3cbac373685880c4.PNG
59870720d53b7_wastegate1.thumb.PNG.7c01332571db21538159e29105c149fe.PNG

Time for some e85 then

18 hours ago, hypergear said:

Just repaired a blown Borgwarner EFR with no exhaust wheel. Luckily the compressor wheel is undamaged. It has been fitted onto one of our ATR CBB cores with a custom grind turbine wheel to suit the original turbine housing profile. Looking to match original power figure before turbo failure, hopefully with a bit more torque through mid range

Post mortem review - what caused that failure?

First run with Brand new Ceramic ball bearing T4 print ATR44SS prototype hit the dyno this afternoon. Car made 406rwkws @ 22psi, Pump 98 fuel. full boost by 4000RPM. Stock 2JZGTE, sorry not an RB this time.

• 3 months later...

Hello and greetings from Finland

I have had my skyline for 8 years now, and now its finally time to upgrade the turbo. I am looking for around 300rwkw with 98 fuel. With supporting mods of course. Since i have a limited budget i was thinkin of the ATR43G3SAT with thrust bearings. The price of that would be perfect, but i couldn`t find any dyno results or other info of that turbo with thrust bearings. I know that bb core is recomended with this, but i really like the price of the normal bearings and if it still would be good enough, it might be a choise. With bb core it seems to be really amazing. Or is there some other options i should consider? Maybe high flow or ss2? I am looking for the most cost effective way to get good end result.

Thanks for the dyno graph. It looks pretty good in bush bearings too, but there sure is noticeable difference between ball bearings and bush bearings. About 70 Nm and 20 Kw in 3500 Rpm, if i looked correctly. I have couple of weeks time to think which one to get, before i get some money. I will go with teh ball bearings if i can afford them. If i can`t i will go with bush bearings. Either way i go, i think i will have a good turbo.

Back to back on the dyno measuring 4th gear paddle to the metal, there isn't that much of a visual differences to the curves. Take everyday road driving with partial throttle acceleration the differences are very noticeable. 

• 2 weeks later...

There has been quite a number of updates applied in terms of wheels, housings and bearings in recent years so we will be starting another R34 GTT modification project, it will used in the development of our SS Ceramic ball bearing series turbochargers. 

lfront.JPG

Car is a 2000 model with 80,000KM on the clock, bought from an mature enthusiast whom spent quite few coins at it with:

Split fire coil packs

700cc injectors (Bosch?) 

PFC ECU + Z32 AFM

3 inches Xfroce Varax exhaust 

Koyo radiator

High flowed OP6 turbo (appeared to be an old XTR model)

Walbro 255 fuel pump

NPC Heavy duty clutch

HKS return flow cooler kit.

cooler.jpg

Setup on the dyno for the first time, after few power pulls the turbo started to make some funny noises and we stopped it at 226rwkws at 11psi, Peeked 14psi at 4000RPM.

226rwkw.JPG

226rwkwboost.JPG  

Other issue worth mentioning is VCT. Using factory ECU/many aftermarket plugins, VCT solenoid produces a very distinctive "click" activation sound on throttle opening. PFC activates it in gear, so you should hear it clutched in 1st and a tap on the throttle. Mine is not clicking, later diagnostics have revealed signal output problems from the ECU. If VCT is not activated, there will be a lose in boost response by roughly 500RPM, and I found VCT problems frequently occurring with customers using old PFC plugins. 

vct.jpg

I have re-high flowed the OP6 turbocharger using one of our ATR43SS2 ceramic ball bearing cores:

ss2front.jpg

ss2rear.jpg

Further dyno shown an improvement in response of 600RPM while a 27kws increase in power. 253rwkws @ 15psi

253rwkw.JPG

we had some boost taper issues on the dyno, and MAP comparison have once again shown a flow restriction caused by a return flow cooler. Boost pressure before cooler: 22psi, after: 15psi, pressure drop: 7PSI

253rwkwboost.JPG

The plan before my next dyno run is to trail PWR's vertical flow cooler as they do make one that bolt on to an R34 GTT and will be replacing the PFC with the latest Adaptronic Modular R34 plugin ECU.  

• Like 1