SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

21 hours ago, hypergear said:

The plan before my next dyno run is to trail PWR's vertical flow cooler as they do make one that bolt on to an R34 GTT and will be replacing the PFC with the latest Adaptronic Modular R34 plugin ECU.  

hi tao. i know you push pwr intercoolers alot however i need a cooler rated between 800 - 900hp the plaszmaman and pwr are similarly priced what do u recommend. im actually upgrading my atr43 to precision.

i will be repeat customer because the turbo did withstand a hell of a beating ;p  

• Like 1

The top to bottom intercoolers usually have OK pressure drop, but they have poor thermal efficiency.  The tubes are numerous (= lower pressure drop) but they are too short (= less cooling that longer tubes at slightly higher velocities, due to lower Reynold's number, Nusselt number, and hence h).  But so long as the turbo is running efficiently and not heating the air too much, that should be OK.

The only other problem I have with them is the tanks are really long and fed from one end, which is less than ideal for distributing the flow to all the tubes evenly.

• Like 1

Spent a day installing an newly purchased PWR Vertical cooler that is made for an R34 GTT, it is currently available on PWR's website. Installation wasn't as straight forward as hopped but easier then most of FMIC kits.

cooleradaptronic.JPG

A quick walk through for anyone that might be interested, the A/C fan needs to be removed for this cooler to fit, and the fan bracket had to be cut short. The hood lock needs to be grind down that secures to the top bracket of the cooler. Passenger side front reo bar had to be filled down missing the intercooler inlet, and the bottom mount matched up to where the radiator supports are. Overall we spent around 4 hours getting everything fit up nicely.

lock.JPG

coolerfront.JPG

Car's yet to be dyno tuned, but does feel slightly laggier compare to the HKS return flow kit that was originally installed. Hopefully it solves the boost drop problem and make few more KWs.

bumper.JPG

• Like 2

Absolutely loving reading about your progress with the r34, please keep updating us with your progress. :)

I have  a question for you if you don't mind answering. I am planning on modding my r34 gt-t which currently has the stock turbo, I'd like to upgrade to the ATR45SS, just after new year. Which ecu would you recommend for this turbo?

Ideally I'd want one that keeps the traction control system working so that the tcs light isnt flashing permanently, and something that supports flex fuel.

Edited by Gw2
  • Like 1

This is the pressure drop test based on a Trust return flow cooler. Turbo is an ATR43SS1PU, working with RB25det Neo. The end results are all similar.

244kw_intercooler_test.JPG

GW2: We will be using the latest Adaptronic Modular ECUs, and will post results after tune. ATR45SS is a big turbo that made 490rwkws on my R33 and cracked 521rwkws on a Ford FG. This turbo do make big power but not that responsive on a Rb25det. Unless you meant ATR45SAT. This one makes up to 400rwkws on E85 with reasonably good drive ability working with Rb25det engine. 

Sorry yes i did mean the ATR45SAT. From what I've read and seen, it looks to be quite impressive!

I will be trying to aim for 300rwkw, or get as close to it as possible. I plan on trying to keep a stock look, so i definitely love the fact that this turbo should bolt to the stock manifold.

Just need to find an ecu that will not set off the traction control lights, looks like nistune might be the way to go!

Your turbo kits make impressive numbers on the dyno, i am impressed :)

Sorry yes i did mean the ATR45SAT. From what I've read and seen, it looks to be quite impressive!
I will be trying to aim for 300rwkw, or get as close to it as possible. I plan on trying to keep a stock look, so i definitely love the fact that this turbo should bolt to the stock manifold.

Just need to find an ecu that will not set off the traction control lights, looks like nistune might be the way to go!

Your turbo kits make impressive numbers on the dyno, i am impressed [emoji4]
You'd be better off with a highflow for that power on e85

To keep factory look I can high flow your stock turbo, that makes a responsive 270rwkws on pump fuel, or I can put an stock r33 turbo's comp cover onto a ATR43SAT turbocharger that makes upto 300rwkws on P98 fuel. You will need an 3 inches metal induction pipe to do this. 

Back at Chequered Tuning today with Adaptronic ecu installed, VCT came back life and picked up 500RPM of response. That PWR cooler however is turning out to be an expansive disappointment showing almost the same pressure drop as the HKS return flow. Factory induction pipe was sucking shut on boost. I will use this cooler for one more dyno season with a Normal ATR43SAT turbo plus a 4 inches hard induction pipe for a comparison run to my earlier result with a FMIC kit.

carondyno.jpg

ecuinstall.jpg

powervs.JPG

Boost curve shown differences with VCT engagement. 

boostvs.JPG

• Like 2

Yes, but no results yet. BB delivers better throttle response in general, but not much of power increase. EXTG is definitely worth it. more power, better torque, and better boost control. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bringing some life into this thread and some basic data since my car is back up and running.

Some quick details on the motor & turbo

• ATR45SAT Ceramic BB EWG
  • Havoc Modified Stock Manifold (retains factory divider and separates pulses till about 10cm from the gate)
  • Turbosmart 45mm Hypergate
  • R34 NEO Motor
    • CP Pistons
    • Manley Rods
    • 260 Poncams / 9.15mm Lift
    • 85lb Performance Springs/ & Titanium Retainers
    • R33 Intake Manifold (gay)
    • 1550cc Bosch Injectors
    • + usual shit
  • 3.5" dump into a 100cell cat -> 3" axle back
  • EWG plumb in after gate before mid muffler

As per the timing map, it's pretty flat and pretty retarded (literally no timing). This map trace is from putting around and hammering the car in 1st and 2nd. Didn't load up 3rd because didn't want to put too much strain on a brand new motor with 0 kms on it. Will dump the oil this weekend and push it a bit more before I throw it up on the dyno.

AFRs on boost ranged from 11~10.5:1 AFR lol... very very rich, probably not doing a new motor any favours either. Will fix that up before I punish it.

Summary:

• Running gate pressure
  • 0.8bar by 3600rpm in 2nd gear
  • Boost creeps a bit due to super low timing
  • Dose is ok for now, much more than the ATR43SS2 but not VL dose.. :(

image.thumb.png.67e6318c724044d684e5156531b68baa.pngimage.thumb.png.e048e254e69fa7c04145e443b0337c81.png

• Like 4

hi i would love to get a G3 turbo upgrade done for my S2 R33 gtst and to make around 260-300kw mark.

i have 

- blitz return flow fmic

-dump pipe/high flow cat/ 3" straight pipe

- walbro 255 fuel pump

-manual boost controller

-i will be installing Z32 AFM

-currently stock but looking at jecs 555cc injectors / adjustable fuel pressure reg

-and at the end get a nistune done

unopened RB25DET

i have read a lot but all so many different results some with out dyno results for proof so i come to the source hoping this will be enough to hit these numbers, cheers!

Walbro 255 is going to be marginal at those power levels.  Look to an upgrade.

Nistune BEFORE.  Not after.

Why use crappy old JECS injectors?  Especially if you have to buy them!  Go straight to the ~720cc unmodified EV14s for 98 octane use.  These will be juuuuust large enough for E85, but injectors will be near 100% or you will need more fuel pressure.  Of course you will also need a rail, but it is worth it to get away from those crappy old side-feeds.

Blitz return flow will start to have high pressure drop by the time you reach the bottom of your power range.

1 hour ago, AndreW_R32 said:

-i will be installing Z32 AFM

-currently stock but looking at jecs 555cc injectors / adjustable fuel pressure reg

-and at the end get a nistune done

Install a R35 card style AFM, Z32 is "great" back in its days but suffers from reversion also eBay fakes.

Convert to topfeed, even 875cc Siemen DEKA V injectors are amazing.