SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Well in the former, E85 is also welcome.
More timing/less boost is more fuel efficient which is the only pros AFAIK. That and claiming good power on low boost.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got that PWR intercooler today and man its HEAVY . Tao I looked at the pics of yours on page 250 of this thread and yours may have slightly different tubes . Mine is flat faced on the tubes where yours looks to be rounded ? Same number 17 from memory .

I think you mentioned that you used JJR pipes on the yellow R34GTT and they are around 2 1/2" and go over the fan and link up to the std crossover pipe .

Will try to get this in soon and track down a decent 100 cell cat ie Venom 5" body one . Then hopefully back on Insights dyno for an E70 tune .

Also I think you mentioned than Tomei Poncams don't do much except add about 250 revs of boost lag , would you give them a miss on an R33 spec RB25DET ? If they're useless may have to go back to the factory 33 25T cams .

Lastly do you think the factory airbox and snorkel are good for 300 plus RWKW with a decent filter panel .

Thanks in advance cheers Adrian .

37 minutes ago, discopotato03 said:

I finally got that PWR intercooler today and man its HEAVY . Tao I looked at the pics of yours on page 250 of this thread and yours may have slightly different tubes . Mine is flat faced on the tubes where yours looks to be rounded ? Same number 17 from memory .

I think you mentioned that you used JJR pipes on the yellow R34GTT and they are around 2 1/2" and go over the fan and link up to the std crossover pipe .

Will try to get this in soon and track down a decent 100 cell cat ie Venom 5" body one . Then hopefully back on Insights dyno for an E70 tune .

Also I think you mentioned than Tomei Poncams don't do much except add about 250 revs of boost lag , would you give them a miss on an R33 spec RB25DET ? If they're useless may have to go back to the factory 33 25T cams .

Lastly do you think the factory airbox and snorkel are good for 300 plus RWKW with a decent filter panel .

Not sure what turbo you're using but I made 290 with an ATR45, shithouse old panel filter in the stock airbox with snorkel as well as a return flow cooler. Depending on what turbo you're using I would say it's achievable.

I also just got the 100 cpsi venom 5" body cat and confirmed that my old one was probably a restriction in my system as boost comes on a bit earlier now and makes more boost for the same RPM with the exact same EBC settings. The Venom cat is a well built cat, seriously 100x better than my old one. 

Its a Garrett GT3076R 52T in their 0.82AR integral gate T3 flanged turbine housing .

I'm back on E70 now but last on the rollers 268 RWKW on 98 Pulp . I think the fuel intercooler and a better cat will allow us to max out the ole 3076R at last . I'm chasing facts on Taos ATR43SAT ATM , he said they are a bit more responsive than the 76R .

Cheers A . 

Discopotato03: I did a couple of runs with Tomei drop in cams, far as for 380rwkws application is made 3kws differences in power and added lag. This is will also be the peek power range for a GT3076, so I don't think there will be an huge improvement in powe

About 3076 under performing, it is related to the pressure drop per my test results. So for it take its full capabilities, it will needs been able to hold boost, and you should see touch over 300rwkws internally gated on P98 fuel at 22psi.

Stock air box didn't work out so well. I ended up drilling holes under the lower half of the plastic cover, that worked great and looking stock from the top. I didn't like cats either, drop it and to a separate run to see if there are differences in power. that will shown if its restrictive or not.  

7 hours ago, hypergear said:

Discopotato03: I did a couple of runs with Tomei drop in cams, far as for 380rwkws application is made 3kws differences in power and added lag. This is will also be the peek power range for a GT3076, so I don't think there will be an huge improvement in powe

About 3076 under performing, it is related to the pressure drop per my test results. So for it take its full capabilities, it will needs been able to hold boost, and you should see touch over 300rwkws internally gated on P98 fuel at 22psi.

Stock air box didn't work out so well. I ended up drilling holes under the lower half of the plastic cover, that worked great and looking stock from the top. I didn't like cats either, drop it and to a separate run to see if there are differences in power. that will shown if its restrictive or not.  

Thanks Tao , I know people want to keep this thread on topic but I want to follow your ideas of making my GTS25T capable of getting the best from my turbo and maybe one of yours .

I'd like to know what you recommend for the cold side pipe that allows me to keep the factory recirc valve or which aftermarket plumb back type to use . I know some cold side pipes link up to the standard cast crossover pipe but not sure if they clear the factory airbox . Not even sure if the standard box and snorkel is good enough for 300-320 Kw performance levels . 

The pictures of your yellow R34GTT show a large elbow , I'm guessing 4" , and a pod filter . Did you box this in to keep the inlet air cool and what box do you like on an R33 GTS25T .

Once this is sorted and tuned I'd like to look at your ATR43G SAT in BB form but with the XR6 type integral waste gate 0.82 turbine housing .

No not ignoring at all , and thanks for your pics because they answer a few questions , like keeping the factory R33 airbox and how neat your external gate setup is . A recirc valve mount plate could be made with a barb on it and joined to the one on the back of the U pipe with a rubber hose .

Only problem with that cold pipe style is that it runs right over the top of where my fuel reg is but it could probably be moved . Can't see yours .

On topic , that looks like when you had the gate off your Hypergear turbos turbine housing and before the turbo was upgraded . I like the sound of Taos ATR43G SAT in BB form but I'd need an XR6 style turbine housing because that's what my 3076R has with 3 1/2" dump to suit . I'm not a big fan of Garretts GT30 turbine and Taos certainly put a mountain of turbo/turbine development into his units .

Also if those 256 Poncams do SFA except add agro I can put the originals ack in . I'd rather have a little better turbo response and forsake 3 Kw up high .

One last one for Tao , you revised the turbine in your ATR45SAT and gained response with no power loss . Is this something that could be considered for the ATR43GSAT turbo ?

Thank you Jonny and Tao for your input its much appreciated .

Cheers Adrian . 

Hi Adrian, The ATR43's current turbine wheel is about perfect for the housing and comp wheel  size. Its just right been able to match flow the compressor and just out side of the lower surge limit of the Rb25det engine. So I won't be doing any more modifications to the turbine side at this stage unless changes made to the compressor or housings. With the turbine housing, I might be able to use your GT30 turbine housing and get similar result, but preferred to run the default housing it comes with the turbo. 

• 4 weeks later...

I will keep this post updated with my FB time line in the next few days.

First up is the anti surge sleeve insert that we started doing this year. Or some people prefer to call them the T51R mod. This can be carried out to various housings, details about it can be found on our site.:

Original:

original.jpg

After:

onmachine.jpg

front.jpg

It doesn't affect turbo's performance if the compressor housing has already been Anti-surge slotted. But will change the induction sound pitch.

• Like 1

Over the years, I've noticed many former RB lovers switched to Barras :4_joy: . The bolton XR6 turbo project is also in progress. I will post our Barra results as project moves along. 

Car made 406rwkws @ 19psi on P98 fuel internally gated with supporting mods:

atr45comps.jpg

power.jpg

Car run 11.7 with street tyres. 

drags.jpg

timeslip.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Highflow results to update:

Unopened R33 Rb25DET

HyperGears 21U G3 high flow internally gated

600x300x76mm cooler kit. 

1000cc ID injectors, walbro 470 fuel pump