SAU Community

Going To Japan Need Your Help Please

R-PWR

Hey Guys

I managed to get some cheap tickets to Japan for me and my wife. Now we are going between April 27th-May 11th 2009, we are landing in Tokyo. Few things I was wondering if you guys could help me out with.

1. What car events would be on during this time is there any shows, drift races, time attack's or anything. I really wanna see a fair bit of action on the car and motorbike scene, if any1 could link me or let me know where I could find all this info, or even tell me whats on that would be great :P.

2. Secondly I really would like to visit a couple of workshops definetly nismo and topsecret also anyting else thats nearby, im unsure as to which ones are close to each other and which ones are on the otherside of Japan, if someone could let me know which are bunched together near each other (as in 20-30min) from each other that would be great.

3. Where to spend my time.... Should I stay the whole 2 weeks in Tokyo, go to Osaka or Nagoya im really unsure on how to plan or organise my trip. Is it best to do tokyo last as want to buy heaps of stuff? Also are the racetracks like tsukuba, and fuji speedway etc where events may be on close to tokyo or would I need to travel. For example if there is no need to go to Osaka as in I can see all the automotive events and still stay in Tokyo then I wont go, although if most of the events and action is somewhere else then I'll book accomadation there as well as tokyo.

4. Accomadation is a struggle well to find something affordable and decent, although my wife found really good stuff cheap in comparison in Tokyo, so thats why im thinking if possible to achieve what I had in mind and not go around Japan that much then I'll just do that. Although being my first time I wouldnt mind going to 1 or 2 other cities.

5. Car hire? is it feasible may get something for a day or two just want some imput on that also if possible.

Please your help would be most appreciated, this trip was booked on really short notice and kind of a spur of the moment thing; and I really dont wanna miss out on seeing all the great things Japan has to offer due to my lack of research or trip planning. A few of you have been there multiple times and I need your knowledge ;). Main thing I guess is I wanna get engulfed in the car scene and great shopping for electronics / parts etc.

Cheers

Ray

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your Point #5

Your dates correspond I think with "Cherry Blossom" Time in Japan. A day trip to the north will put you in the middle of tons of blossoms. Visit the Toshogu Shrine & the 'Cat' Temple.

Visit the Kegon waterfall.

Hire a car and go north to Nikko (to see the above) and drive down into the valley through IROHAZAKA hairpins and have lunch by Lake Chuzenji. Another route takes you out again.

:) IROHAZAKA and you'll get what I mean. Then you'll hire a car that'll go thru' corners like magic! And your wife will love you for the scenery and the peaceful aspect out over the lake.

^^ sounds like a plan anyone know which places are the best to hire a car from in tokyo ... and what cost is like. Want min a 350z/silvia s15 and if price is decent r35 gtr ;) rx-7 would be nice can anyone link me info re rental :D

Anyone got anymore info

Edited by DR-ENVY

2. Nismo is in Omorikaigan, Yamanote line to Shinagawa. Easy to do from Tokyo is your staying Shinjuku etc. Top Secret is a 30 minute train ride to Chiba and a taxi to the shop. There's also a Crystal down is Chiba. Catch the monorail and get off at the stadium.

3. The Lonely Planet wont have any info on motorsports but it is useful. Akihabara, Shibuya, Ginza...all worth visiting in Tokyo

4. I use trip advisor...always a few deals to be had

5. I wouldn't, the public transport system is excellent and part of the experience. If you can read Kanji and speak Japanese...no problem. This is the link to a pdf of the JR East. Put it in one of those silicon map cases and keep it with you. The further you get away from the main lines the less English is used to describe the train or station. On the platform signs red means express, green for limited express and white means local or all stops. Always stick to the left of the escalators...right side is for walking, left side is for sleeping lol. Phone hire is good idea if you have different tastes and want to look at different things.

Most of this has been covered...have a search and enjoy the experience

I'd swing through a few shops in Tokyo first, as that way you will know how much money you have left to spend after you have bought the parts you want, and the parts that you didn't intend buying but saw them and just had to have them. It will also allow the shops time to order anything in that you need.

The last few times I've stayed in Japan I stayed at business hotels, as all I needed was a roof over my head at night. It might be a bit different with you and your missus, but they are cheap, clean, and usually close to public transport.

If you know what you want to buy, it can help if you know the prices and that they are in stock. Having it preorganised can help that way. If you want the name of a few shops then PM me. Some places are a bit further out, but with a bit of planning and an early start are definitely doable in the day. Try and see:

Nismo

Nissan Gallery

Sony store

Super Autobacs Shinonome

ASL Showroom

Toyota Megaweb

Toyota Museum & Historic Garage

If you are getting a car then go to Daikoku Futo. I'm not sure if it is current though, as the last I heard the police had been cracking down on street events.

For places a bit further out, try:

Top Secret

Tomei

JUN

Try Laurence's site for details on what is on entertainment wise: dr1ft.jp

If you are a fan of Gran Turismo, catch the train to Nagatcho station, and you can walk around the R246 track. Nagatcho station is right at the turn coming onto the main straight.

Thanks guys any more info would be great :sick: . Also that drift site is great in regards to letting me know what events are on is there anything that tells me about time attack events/gt500/ or other events even motorbike events ? Also how do I book or find out start time etc for these things, do I just rock up? Or do I need a booking?

Cheers

Ray

Nissan Gallery is in Ginza, and there is Nissan dealership about 10 mins walk from it. Ask the girls in the Nissan Gallery and they'll give you a map.

Sony store, is about city blocks from the Nissan Gallery and well worth a visit.

It looks like this...

IMGP1772.JPG

The Toyota Megaweb and Toyota Museum & Historic Garage is very easy to find. It's in Odaiba, just jump on the monorail/driveless train thing (Yurikamone Line) and you can miss it (it has a ferris wheel next to it.) Or do what i did, got up very early, did the Fish market thing, then next door to the Market is the Hama Rikyu-Onshi-teien (the Detached Palace Garden), and there's water ferrys that go to Odaiba.

The Ferris wheel and the Toyota Megaweb..

IMGP2419.JPG

The Fish market is a must IMO, and same with a Visit to Senso-Ji in Asakusa.

I stayed in Shinjuku here,

http://www.nshotel.com/english/index.htm

Oh and Japanese Public Transport FTW!!! All the train lines are color coded, and the all the stations on the lines have numbers....so to work out what stop you want is just look for the number in a colored circle of the line your on.

i.e

http://www.gchicco.com/wp-content/uploads/...o-metro-map.png

If your planning on doing a lot of traveling to other cities, a JR rail pass is a must and will save you a stack on tickets. Otherwise if your sticking to tokyo it won't be worth it IMO.

Trains in Tokyo are really easy to get around in. In fact it is even easier than Brisbane. You will have english translations on most signs at the train stations. Osaka didn't have as much as tokyo but it still wasn't too bad.

Learn your basic japanese if you haven't already. Just your norm words to get you by like thank you, excuse me, yes, no, Good morning/afternoon/evening etc etc. A jap phrase book will help a lot if you want to delve a little more into their language and make life a little easier if you need to find something. And when you pronounce something, try and pronounce it in their accent and tang, as an occa aussie version of their word may be a little hard for them to understand.

We used hostelworld and travelerspoint to find relatively cheap accommodation. Paid on average $50-$80max per night per person at the time of exchange rate.

Also, you may find your credit and keycards will not work in every ATM over there. It will however work in a post office ATM or JP Bank ATM. Some 7elevens also will have an ATM that works. Use cash for most of your purchases, you won't get by just using your foreign card. You will be able to use MasterCard or Visa or Plus or Cirrus when paying for accommodation at some places though.

Cherry Blossoms are just about finished for the year in Kanto!

You'll just miss out!

Honjo Circuit is just outside a town called Honjo.

You can access Honjo by the Takasaki line from Tokyo!

Nikko is near Utsonomiya. You can get there from Tokyo on the Utsonomiya line!

From the station, you can get a cab, but I'd ask the cabby if he knows where he's going before setting off. (in japanese)

Also, you may find your credit and keycards will not work in every ATM over there. It will however work in a post office ATM or JP Bank ATM. Some 7elevens also will have an ATM that works. Use cash for most of your purchases, you won't get by just using your foreign card. You will be able to use MasterCard or Visa or Plus or Cirrus when paying for accommodation at some places though.

Mine worked fine (Westpac), but i must admit i only used the Citibank or 7-11 ones.

Just make sure there's a Englich button on the machine....and don't put your hand in where the money comes out when it close's :banana:

And yeah, Cash FTW.

Ok sweet thanks for the input guys, well I will definetly be getting a rail pass no doubt about that. Just need more info about bookings for events, and also does any1 know if there are any good cheap places to stay in Osaka/Kyoto still have 3 nights to book.

I will be over in Japan at roughly the same time AUS schedule permitting.

Will be purchasing another car and sending it over, doing the shop rounds, loading a container and hoping to have some form of a relaxing holiday for once.

I have not kept up with Japanese race events for a while so i am eyes open for info also.

If there are any JP SAU members that planned on going to any events during this time PM me.

^^ if your going to any events between 27th-11thmay then let me know i'll definetly come with you. Also the JR rail pass is so expensive just curious do i really need one I will be only making 1 return trip to Osaka which ill stay there for 5 days and then be back in tokyo? Or should i just get normal tickets each day?

Hiring a car im just curious how much is it to store or park it cant i just park it on the street? Also because its me and my wife $1350 is how much the pass will cost surely highering a cheap car for $70 a day is a lot cheaper?

Well only a few days to go stayin g the whole 2 weeks in Tokyo not getting a rail pass as not worth it

For just staying in one place any last min tips.

Also which workshops are in Tokyo I only know of top secret, and nismo are there others?

Also any famous car meet spots will be staying most of the time in shinjuku

Hey, i'm also going to be in japan at the end of april so glad you put these questions up dr envy!

Does anyone know of places around tokyo to buy parts like power fc's and greddy intake manifolds etc.? I'm really having trouble finding a power fc for my r34 so figured i might try get some stuff whilst i'm in japan.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Are you coming to Drift Matsuri at Ebisu Circuit?

It's May 2nd and 3rd!

Ebisu Circuit is in f*kushima Prefecture, in the mountains behind Nihonmatsu Town.

You can get to Nihonmatsu by train (about 3 hours from Tokyo) and then take a taxi to Ebisu Circuit.

(Tell the taxi driver 'Safari Park' if he doesn't know where the circuit is)