SAU Community

Going To Japan Need Your Help Please

R-PWR

I have found a pass that works on trains, subways, vending machines, planes, bars, brothels, ramen, and mos burger. it's called yen. carry lots of it. it's the one pass you need.

The yen pass apparently works in Kabuki-cho also, kindness please.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is the suica card the way to go? does that cover yokahama?

munkyboy. This suica card or also pasmo cards people are talking about are just an electronic card that you can buy and instead of buying individual tickets / fare adjusting each ticket everytime you transfer or enter / leave a station you put the suica / pasmo card in one of the ticket machines then you can "charge it" which means putting money / credit on the card. Before going through the tickets gates you just touch your wallet with the card in it on the special area and the gates open and tells you how much credit / money you have left on your card.

Nearly everyone who lives in Japan has one of these cards. they are more convenient, for a tourist though its probably easier just to buy the cheapest ticket and then fare adjust it later.

those cards can be used anywhere in japan on any form of public transport except taxis, boats and the shinkansen. Then can also be used to buy things in supermarkets/ convenient stores and vending machines near train stations.

Man my trip was sweet as, about to leave back for Aus now, I just got a suica card and traveled around tokyo way way cheaper than JR pass and alot more flexibilty. Obviously if you were going to Osaka etc then you benefit from JR rail pass. Man the whole trip 14 days for 2 ppl cost us AUS $2300 man did it really cheaply stayed if 4-5 star hotels for $110 aud a night, thats what happens when you have a bargain hunter wife :whistling:

did anyone get the hotel details -- $110 Aud per night?

I have found a pass that works on trains, subways, vending machines, planes, bars, brothels, ramen, and mos burger. it's called yen. carry lots of it. it's the one pass you need.

10000_yen_note.JPG

Nup, that's not real.... Some say he appears on Japanese currency,

stigmoney.jpg

thanks for the tips

ive booked a room in narita for the first night (the flight gets in fairly late).

next 3 nights in shinjuku

and then i think its off to osaka and kyoto and ???

what other cities should i consider for a well rounded feel of japan?

its 12 nights all up, and i have to end in tokyo for the flight out of narita. we will have a 14 day JR pass, and hope to use it for all our domestic travel.

Munkyboy what you planning on doing in Oasaka & Kyoto?? I've planned the majority of my stay in Tokyo but can't seem to gather many locations to visit in the other two cities.

Also from what period you travelling? Might bump into you in Shinjuku.

not sure to be honest. temples, food, and general checking stuff out. i havent even booked those places yet.

check out lonely planet online or buy the book. my gf bought it, as she always does before trips. it has some good info on things to do, local customs, places to eat, all sorts of useful stuff.

I'll be there early June.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going to Tokyo in september. Anything on that period?

I'll be there too in September. I've read that Typhoon season is in peak time in September :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

hey. just a quick thanks to everyone. i got back a couple of days ago. had a fkn great time there.

its no where near as expensive as ppl make out. we did tokyo, osaka, kyoto, and surrounding areas.

subways were great. every city we went to, we just grabbed a day pass in the morning (buses for kyoto) for between 500 to 1000yen and travelled all day. you cant go wrong.

The JR 7 day pass worked out well to cover the Shinkansen long trips.

all in all, it was an awesome trip. i would live there!! and i never say that about anywhere ive been before :P

extra thanks to akeenan, and streeter for your time and guidance.

cheers guys

hey. just a quick thanks to everyone. i got back a couple of days ago. had a fkn great time there.

its no where near as expensive as ppl make out. we did tokyo, osaka, kyoto, and surrounding areas.

subways were great. every city we went to, we just grabbed a day pass in the morning (buses for kyoto) for between 500 to 1000yen and travelled all day. you cant go wrong.

The JR 7 day pass worked out well to cover the Shinkansen long trips.

all in all, it was an awesome trip. i would live there!! and i never say that about anywhere ive been before :)

extra thanks to akeenan, and streeter for your time and guidance.

cheers guys

very jealous.. i am looking at going next year and will be doing lots of reading on here to find out the places to go 2.