SAU Community

R33 Boot Lock

Aberax

When i bought my R33 the Nissan Boot Lock Cover had either broken off or been stolen. I didn't like the look of it not being there so i hunted around and found replacement ones, but the original's are quite expensive and where out of my price range, Just Jap Auto Imports sell them here as an OEM item. As i didn't want to spend that much for an original, i had a look for a secondhand one, i managed to find someone on here, who was wrecking there R33. I sent him a PM, he told me he was selling it on ebay, so i bought it off ebay.

Now i have a replacement lock, but no key. I was told by some people i could take this lock to a locksmith and have a keymade up to it, and some others said to have the barrels swapped. I didnt exactly like the ideas of having extras keys just so i can open the boot, so i decided to go along the path of having the barrels swapped. I took my original one out of the car to take to a locksmith and have the barrel swapped into the replacement.

Of course being me i had to put the key in and see how it worked, i then thought it look rather easy to do myself, and decided to give it a crack. I did go looking on the net a bit for some help doing this, but nothing popped up.

So here is a guide on how to swap the R33 Boot Lock Barrels.

Boot Beforehand

post-58049-1238664284_thumb.jpg

Inside Boot Panel, you need to remove the blackclip for the lock to come out, a bit of twisting and pulling will get it.

post-58049-1238664380_thumb.jpg

Once the black clip is removed, it should pop out easily.

post-58049-1238664470_thumb.jpg

Now that it is out, this is what the back looks like.

post-58049-1238664543_thumb.jpg

See that clip at the very top, remove that with a flathead screwdriver, carefully so you dont hurt yourself.

post-58049-1238664602_thumb.jpg

Now remove the arm, this just pulls straight off once that clip is removed.

post-58049-1238664660_thumb.jpg

You can also remove the black seal at anytime you like, i did mine at this step.

post-58049-1238664728_thumb.jpg

Now, see that spring. That needs to come off, comes off rather easy with a small screwdriver.

post-58049-1238664812_thumb.jpg

Ok, now you need to release the actual barrel now. See those 4 holes, if you look in you can see plastic taps. What you need to do is puch them towards the centre and down so it pops out the black circle on the front. (Sorry about the bad images from now on, i put my camera on charge while i went out, and forgot to put the macro setting back on, but you can still get the idea)

post-58049-1238664992_thumb.jpg

post-58049-1238665007_thumb.jpg

Now, push the barrel out from the back, fowards. If you are worried about it falling apart, it might be a good idea to put the key in. It may or may not make a difference, i am not sure.

post-58049-1238665092_thumb.jpg

Now this is what you should be left with.

post-58049-1238665138_thumb.jpg

Now do the exact same to the other one. Then swap the barrels from yours into the new one, and do everything in reverse. The black circle will only go in one way as it is tapered, and the spring will also only go in one way. As you are reassembling, it maybe a nice idea to add some grease onto the barrel.

Now for the finished product.

post-58049-1238665423_thumb.jpg

post-58049-1238665444_thumb.jpg

post-58049-1238665459_thumb.jpg

Good tutorial Aberax :(

A couple of tips for ya,

Put the key in if your scared the wafers will fall out. Putting the key into the barrel will hold them in.

Even better idea is to swap the wafers out into the new barrel as this will give you a fresh keyway. Just be careful not to lose the wafer springs.

Don't grease the barrel, wet lubricants attract dust and it stays in there. Use a dry lubricant like graphite.

oh nice...just what i needed. boot a spoiler off a guy on sau but he didn't wanna take the spoiler off his boot so he is giving me the boot with it lol.

thinking just to use the boot lid that my spoiler is coming with so i'll just swap the locks over. thanks mate!

Good tutorial Aberax :cool:

A couple of tips for ya,

Put the key in if your scared the wafers will fall out. Putting the key into the barrel will hold them in.

Even better idea is to swap the wafers out into the new barrel as this will give you a fresh keyway. Just be careful not to lose the wafer springs.

Don't grease the barrel, wet lubricants attract dust and it stays in there. Use a dry lubricant like graphite.

Thanks for the extra tips mate. I suggested grease as a lubricant as while working on the barrel it seemed to be covered in either grease or machine oil, not really too sure. But graphite also works :P .

• 3 weeks later...

how on earth did u get to take the rear badge out im trying to do the same thing but to no luck...i removed the boot liner, unscrewed the latch thingy and i could not get to it from underneath as it is covered by metal (if u get what i mean) not sure how u got to the second pic...sorry man such a noob i swear..i couldnt work it out

ok, a bit of a quicker run down.

1. Open boot

2. take boot lid lining off

3. look/feel inside the boot where the lock is and you should see/feel the black metal tab

4. wriggle the tab up and down while pulling on it, it will eventually pull off

5. lock should now come off of/out of boot lid

For the second pic, i put my camera in one of the holes and took the photo. Take for instance the left of the second pic, you see the white surface, that surface is the rear of the boot, as you can see the lock barrel there, so on the other side of that surface would be the emblem cover for the lock. Once you take the boot lid lining off you should get a better idea. My car didn't come with any boot lid liner, so that's why i didn't write that step in originally.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited by Aberax

• 2 weeks later...

I just done this..

If anyone has the badges still on there, just lift it up abit and move it outwards, use a bit of force, and now you will be able to get the black rubber and the key barrel out.. hope this helps anyone that had the same as me..

thanx 4 the diy again..

Edited by seriesII

• 2 weeks later...

i took mine off and just smacked fibre glass over the hole sanded it back than voila shaved boot hehe it thought it pointless to have a key there when the lever is just as easy to use

also dont have to worry about people trying to break into your boot, just an idea

• 3 months later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Fantastic diy and super easy! Once i removed the barrel i left the key inside so the pins wouldnt fall out and i could see which pins were sitting higher. With the key still inserted i grinded off about 0.5mm on 2 of the pins. [emoji5]