Merli's R32 Track Bitch

Merli

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

unique1: That is a FANTASTIC list! Well done... I'm going to copy that into it's own thread and post it it in the FAQ forum! I hope you don't mind :D

TenFour: No idea who phenline is, but the person I bought this off was "dkonig" from SAU. It previously came from Victoria, but I don't know if the original Aussie owner is on SAU.

The Oak:

1. It is currently road rego'ed, but I'll be changing to RTA road/rally/race registration soon... This will allow me to drive to/from workshops and track/race events.

2. As far as I know, you can't have a full roll cage (with front legs that protrude into the driver's area) and be road legal. Makes sense I suppose. You wouldn't want to hit your head against a hard roll cage without a helmet on!

3. No-one could offer enough money to offset the costs that I've incurred building this thing... I would never get my money back from this car, so I would never sell it until *I* was ready to move on, and it was time to move into another track car such as a Lotus Exige or Porker.

Okay, that's it for now...

Gotta go turn some spanners so I can provide you with more updates :)

Michele: I see you lurking, I'll have a look for that trim panel today!

I had a fat. Everything about this is mint!!!!

And the first time I have seen cam baffles!!

Your not allowed to get it dirty you realise?

Good luck with it, will definately be keeping an eye on this thread.

Awesome stuff.

fantastic!

I have a soft spot for a hot white R32! and DAMN its clean!!!

keep the thread going.

(ps - my carbon shaft is getting balanced - will let you know how it goes)

Michael

no worries on the list you can start another thread if u like. i wrote it all down as i kept taking parts out, as i wanted to see how much i could get out of the car roughly before i could get a chance to take it to a weight bridge.

Nice list of parts you have there too, how come you took the -5s off, i didnt think they were too laggy for normal track work, except maybe tight motorkana style events?

good luck ill be keeping a close eye out on the thread for updates.

For someone like me who is hoping to do a build like this in the future this thread is brilliant. And talk about top shelf parts, Asume exhaust, Tomei dumps and manifolds, Quaife front diff... the best of everything, seriously good work!

Pete - We tried putting the Trust front diff extension on, but it seemed to foul against the sump extension :wacko: I've kept it though, as I want to give it another go... I'm sure we can squeeze it in there!

SRS13 - I purchased the dry ice from BOC Gases down south somewhere... I think I bought around 2 kilos which half filled my big esky. Cost around $50 from memory, but for the amount of time and pain it saved me, money well spent IMHO!

unique1 - I've kept the -5s... I might end up using them for the next engine which will have increased capacity... I love to slingshot out of corners, so I'll just use the GT-SS's for now... After I get the car all set up suspension wise, then I'll chase proper power with bigger engine and bigger turbos.

I got a lot done to the car over the weekend... The entire dash and electronics are now installed :) I'll have some photos of this probably next week, as I forgot to take my camera :wacko:

For now, some quick photos of the interior getting painted!

080730_paint_cage_01.jpg

080730_paint_cage_02.jpg

080730_paint_cage_03.jpg

080730_paint_cage_04.jpg

When I picked up the car from the painters, I realised that they didn't get the windscreen refitted like I asked, so they taped it up with masking tape it up for me :wacko:

I got in the car to drive it home, and realised that I had no seat belt, no indicators, no headlights, no wipers and my windscreen was held in place by the unstickiest masking tape in the world......

Needless to say, I quickly re-evaluated the situation and called a tow truck :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014:

Pete - We tried putting the Trust front diff extension on, but it seemed to foul against the sump extension :wacko: I've kept it though, as I want to give it another go... I'm sure we can squeeze it in there!

Andrew,you need to modify the inside edge of it to fit...ill take a photo of how we did mine if you like so you can copy it.

Nice work too...as usual you have an awesome car that has been analy modified.

Angus_Smart: I'm a little disheartened with that carbon shaft... I haven't even had the heart to remove it from the box after reading that one guy had his shear in half and bang around under his car. I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

I know exactly what you mean! i wouldnt worry about the one that sheared in half! i'd just be more worried about the poor balancing job they done.

Shit just looked at the rest of your photos! i swear i have a mirror build going on at the moment :wacko:

Looking at your exhaust first.. i was unaware of the brand of mine, but after seeing yours i can tell mine is an Amuse r1 exhaust aswell! ;) 90mm all the way! looks like you've made room for a cat too??

tomei dumps are also sitting at home waiting :) Jun pump too!

Edited by Angus Smart

Dumb question, because I know nothing, but why put so much white paint on the interior?

isn't the objective to be as light as possible? all that gloss must add up to quite a number of extra kgs?

(awesome build and it is going so fast I can't believe it. Normally these topics seem to meander through months and beyond)..

Paul - Thanks mate, that would be much appreciated! I know we'll be able to get it to fit... It'll just take a little bit of cajoling :)

Andrew - Need to rebalance it, need to make up billet adaptor plates, need to measure the OD and make sure it's built to spec... <sigh> I'll get to that dumb shaft later. I'm going to concentrate on other stuff for now.

How's your build going then? When will it be ready? Should be awesome to have two identical cars running around the track :wacko:

Dumb question, because I know nothing, but why put so much white paint on the interior?

isn't the objective to be as light as possible? all that gloss must add up to quite a number of extra kgs?

(awesome build and it is going so fast I can't believe it. Normally these topics seem to meander through months and beyond)..

Two coats of white, one coat of gloss.... Probably about 4-5 litres of paint. Not tooooo heavy...

If you couldn't already tell, I'm pretty picky about my cars... Even though it'll only see track time, I want it to look good while doing it :wacko:

These pics are a few months old. The car is quite a bit further along than where the pics are up-to... I'll catch up to the present pretty soon, and we'll have live updates :)

Two coats of white, one coat of gloss.... Probably about 4-5 litres of paint. Not tooooo heavy...

If you couldn't already tell, I'm pretty picky about my cars... Even though it'll only see track time, I want it to look good while doing it :wacko:

These pics are a few months old. The car is quite a bit further along than where the pics are up-to... I'll catch up to the present pretty soon, and we'll have live updates :)

how about live streaming?? that way we can all watch you twirl your spanners.