SAU Community

Need Cheap Paint Job In Melbourne Area.

jonesl

Hey everyone. I have a white 32 and the clear coat is all faded and peeling.

You use to be able to get a quick respray for like 1000 bucks. now every where i go im getting quoted like 4 grand.

Does anyone know a place around Melbourne or Geelong area. even a back yard job that's good quality that can spray my car CHEAP!

any help would be awsome.

cheers guys.

Luke

Sorry mate, but the reason you arent getting replies is because your asking for something thats impossible.

A good backyard paint job for 1g? LOL If you pay 1g you will be lucky that the paint stays on the car for more than a year, would probably peel after a few months

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry mate, but the reason you arent getting replies is because your asking for something thats impossible.

A good backyard paint job for 1g? LOL If you pay 1g you will be lucky that the paint stays on the car for more than a year, would probably peel after a few months

Sorry dude but i do have to disagree with you there.

Not to say there are not really bad cheap paint jobs but it is more of who you know than what you know.

I had my HJ monaro resprayed and even before that he massaged the body smooth and dent free, then we cut out the rust and bog from earlier owners, had sheet metal beaten to shape tacked in and lead wiped. After all that he then painted it and helped me put it back together.

All this and other little things only cost me $1400.

Oh and a couple of bottles of rum.....

:starwars:

That paint job was as good as it was years later when i sold it too.

Now I have moved to melb, and have lost all my contacts and am starting fresh here.

So i cant get the guy to do it for me again or find out if he wants more work....

but there is my 2cents that just because it is cheap doesnt mean if you know the right people you cant get a good job done.

thanks

Gecko

There is a place on hammond rd in dandenong advertising $800 spray jobs, was getting some work done at the exhaust shot next door and had a look at there demo car, looked like they hadnt even washed it before painting it, the guy at the exhaust shop said that there had been some really nice jobs come out of there tho, probably not $800 tho.

If you do find some one let me know, need my car blown over.

Totally agree with you. No point spending money on lousy backyard picasso - wannabes and getting back a poorly painted car. It's either you go with Micolour or NO-colour. :D

I laugh at the fact that people recommended Micolour even though this guy is asking for a backyard job...all you get a grip. Theres more shops around than just Micolour.

You need to ask around...find a mate or someone who is an apprentice painter that will spray the car for you for some extra cash.

1000 is close to possible if you know the right people. Get your mates girlfriends cousins brothers mate to do it. Dont expect the best result though. Go for a drive around springvale or dandenong, there will be someone around willing to do a quick job for around that price, its been done before.

Paint, like most things automotive is very much a "get what you pay for" thing. If you get lucky or know the right people you can certainly get a good job for cheap...but if you are outside the trade then follow the money-quality correlation.

Best advice I can give you is to do as much prep work as possible. Get a quote on cost to respray...then after you have that, ask the sprayer for another quote based on you stripping the car bare. You can keep going and strip the paint yourself / prime the metal if you know how. You can get a very good job for $1000 if all the sprayer has to do is layer on some prepsol and apply the paint.

I got my Calibra done with full body kit and some panelbeating for $1500. I accidentally used acryllic primer during my prep work, so this had to be removed and redone with two pack primer by the sprayer. Was a good paint job for the money.

For about $1000 cash perhaps try Spot Smash Repairs in Ringwood. They are just off Oban Rd. Should be able to do something decent for the money, but don't expect showroom quality. There is also a place on Scoresby Rd in Boronia who have Hyundai Excel's on the front lawn advertising $600 oven bakes.

I laugh at the fact that people recommended Micolour even though this guy is asking for a backyard job...all you get a grip. Theres more shops around than just Micolour.

You need to ask around...find a mate or someone who is an apprentice painter that will spray the car for you for some extra cash.

1000 is close to possible if you know the right people. Get your mates girlfriends cousins brothers mate to do it. Dont expect the best result though. Go for a drive around springvale or dandenong, there will be someone around willing to do a quick job for around that price, its been done before.

I’m not sure why your laughing at the fact people recommend MiColour. People will only recommend them if they have had a good experience anyway!

TWO main reasons:

- MiColour is a Major sponsor of SAU Vic. Of course we are going to recommend them! I don’t see any other panel beaters putting their money where their mouth is for SAU VIC.

- You can guarantee that in 2 months time there will be a post saying my 1k paint job is sh1t (not necessarily by jonesl, but you get my point)

How many posts do you see saying my Ebay/Chinese XXX part doesn't fit, or its crap quality or there are runs in my paint, or my 1k quoted paint job cost me 3k, or i have been back 4 times and its still not right...its endless!

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. YES you can minimise the expense by doing a lot of the prep yourself, but

if you don’t know what your doing, it will cost you the same anyway.

You CAN spend 1k somewhere else, yes you will probably find a backyard guy to do it, but for the extra $$ upfront, it will save you twice as much $$ and time WELL into the future....if your looking to hang onto the car :D

I’m not sure why your laughing at the fact people recommend MiColour. People will only recommend them if they have had a good experience anyway!

TWO main reasons:

- MiColour is a Major sponsor of SAU Vic. Of course we are going to recommend them! I don’t see any other panel beaters putting their money where their mouth is for SAU VIC.

- You can guarantee that in 2 months time there will be a post saying my 1k paint job is sh1t (not necessarily by jonesl, but you get my point)

How many posts do you see saying my Ebay/Chinese XXX part doesn't fit, or its crap quality or there are runs in my paint, or my 1k quoted paint job cost me 3k, or i have been back 4 times and its still not right...its endless!

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. YES you can minimise the expense by doing a lot of the prep yourself, but

if you don’t know what your doing, it will cost you the same anyway.

You CAN spend 1k somewhere else, yes you will probably find a backyard guy to do it, but for the extra $$ upfront, it will save you twice as much $$ and time WELL into the future....if your looking to hang onto the car :D

That's very well said :).

Getting it re-sprayed by some backyard guy is just going to cause headaches for you in the future, won't be surprised to see an orange peel effect on your paint. Do it once, do it right.

I laugh at the fact that people recommended Micolour even though this guy is asking for a backyard job...

Well if you knew how to read you would understand. Youre only reading what you want to read.

This guy wants a cheap job. Why recommended Micolour who are a top notch shop who do 6k+ resprays? Thats just stupid and you are in no way helping this guy.

Contact Patti Panels. Theyre in Campbellfield. They should be able to do a job for close to your budget, and please let us know how you go.

Well if you knew how to read you would understand. Youre only reading what you want to read.

This guy wants a cheap job. Why recommended Micolour who are a top notch shop who do 6k+ resprays? Thats just stupid and you are in no way helping this guy.

Contact Patti Panels. Theyre in Campbellfield. They should be able to do a job for close to your budget, and please let us know how you go.

LOL....so instead of writing a logical response to the points I made, you come back with an insult.

Then you continue by recommending a business, in total contradiction of your own argument to the guy wanting a cheap backyard job.

MiColour was recommended because:

-They are a major sponsor of SAU VIC

-Spend a bit more and get a lot less hassles

-Numerous people here cannot speak highly enough of them

The point which was completely missed (probably my fault because I cannot read) was that jonesl should at least call or get a quote off MiColour and make a decision from there as to affordability vs quality.

Oh...by the way.... its You're

LOL....so instead of writing a logical response to the points I made, you come back with an insult.

Then you continue by recommending a business, in total contradiction of your own argument to the guy wanting a cheap backyard job.

MiColour was recommended because:

-They are a major sponsor of SAU VIC

-Spend a bit more and get a lot less hassles

-Numerous people here cannot speak highly enough of them

The point which was completely missed (probably my fault because I cannot read) was that jonesl should at least call or get a quote off MiColour and make a decision from there as to affordability vs quality.

Oh...by the way.... its You're

Yes youre totally right.

It is your fault because you STILL cant read. Maybe take a look at the first post in this thread.

Ill point it out for you for easy reading:

"Does anyone know a place around Melbourne or Geelong area. even a back yard job"

For both of those requests (yes, believe it or not there are 2 options given in that quote) I have given suitable solutions. These are:

1. Place in Melbourne or Geelong - Ive recommended a shop that may be able to do the work for this guys budget

2. Backyard Job - Heres another quote of myself for easy reading - "You need to ask around...find a mate or someone who is an apprentice painter that will spray the car for you for some extra cash"

So where was the contradiction you mentioned?

At the end of the day the points that have been completely missed are: (ill list them for easy reading)

1. That you have not helped this guy one bit by arguing with myself and recommending Micolour. Yes I know they do good work, but come on, this guy is asking for a $1000 job

2. That in order to help people on public forms you need at least a minimum level of eyesight which inturn reflects literacy, which seems to be lacking in your department.

P.S Punctuation does not help the argument if the words and letters make sense.

Yep, question was who can do a $1000 paintjob, it is unlikely that Micolour will be in a position to provide a paint job for $1000, so not really worth recommending, at least not without sufficient qualifiers.

Answer to the OP is probably best stated in this fashion:

1. $1000 isn't generally believed to be enough for a re-spray but it is possible;

2. If you want to go ahead with it anyway, speak to friends of friends of friends who may be able to do it, or cruise springy/dandy for some cheap shops. Buy your own paint and push for discounts, see if you know anyone in the industry who can supply.Check out some of the recommendations in this thread;

3. If you want to get serious then go to Micolour and be prepared to spend many magnitudes more on the job but get the bee's knees of workmanship and quality.

Simple!

yes, drive past xxx bodykits every morning, just redone the shop front advertising 1000 repsrays. or close to that dollar.

but aain i gues you get what you pay for. they're on cheltenham rd dandenong. if you'd like i'll get there number tomorrow.