SAU Community

Need Cheap Paint Job In Melbourne Area.

jonesl

I laugh at the fact that people recommended Micolour even though this guy is asking for a backyard job...all you get a grip. Theres more shops around than just Micolour.

You need to ask around...find a mate or someone who is an apprentice painter that will spray the car for you for some extra cash.

1000 is close to possible if you know the right people. Get your mates girlfriends cousins brothers mate to do it. Dont expect the best result though. Go for a drive around springvale or dandenong, there will be someone around willing to do a quick job for around that price, its been done before.

AHHA. Funny story. I actually Did find a qualified panel beater to spray my car for $1000 in Geelong.

My mates girlfriends step dad. Lol. I prep the car and he does the rest.

:)

cheers guys. thanks for the input.

I must say questions like these show how people on the forums love to argue. Its kinda entertaining.

I must say questions like these show how people on the forums love to argue. Its kinda entertaining.

It also shows how many people think you HAVE to spend huge amounts of money on the best of the best.

• 1 month later...

I may have the solution....

$50USD to get a paint job done..but DIY...

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/03/need-a-...-50-will-do-it/

or the original link:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showfl...part=1&vc=1

I am that convinced about it that I have bought some Wattyl Killrust Epoxy Enamel, some foam brushes, a small enamel paint roller kit, and various grit sandpaper. So far, it's costed about $80, but I will need to buy more paint later on to finish the car as I only bought 1 litre.

Being the beginner that I am, I tried it on the fuel flap/lid of the MX5, but stoopid me - used Mineral Turps instead of Mineral Spirits (Thinners), so it took a long time to dry and didn't turn out anywhere near good (so it will have to be sanded back and redone from the beginning). I then tried it on a front guard of my MX5 bodykit. I haven't really perfected the technique yet and only applied 1 coat. Due to the cold Melb weather, it was touch dry next day, but not fully dried. I am now waiting for 1 week to pass before I sand it down and apply another coat.

I guess the hardest part is trying to mix the right combo of paint vs thinners and to find some free space in the garage to do it.

By the way, the colour I choose for my MX5 is Colorbond Bush Grey - to give it a stealth army look. The bodykit is a JDM widebody one also.

I'll start posting pics up once I have perfected the technique on the front guard bodykit and then tackle the rest of the car.

Now, to all those who can afford a good spray job, please ignore this post. For those who have weekends free, and don't mind the elbow grease, then hopefully, when I am done with the results, you can all go and try it (at your own risk of course). ALL IT TAKES IS COURAGE and to get over the "what the hell I am doing to my car" mindset....

One more thing, The first coat finish dried with a lot of dust, etc stuck onto it. I was really worried at first, but I re-read the US links and this is perfectly ok, as afterall, 6 - 7 coats of paint, wet sanding between coats + a buff should get rid of it all.

AGAIN, a disclaimer!!! I WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE OR RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DECIDE TO USE THIS METHOD, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. I used my MX5 as a test mule as it's a weekend toycar and has a crappy paint job, hence, can afford to do what I am doing. If you can't get over the psychological barrier of doing it, then don't do it...

Edited by siu_loong_bao

• 7 months later...

not sure if anybodys pointed this place out but looks pretty good, saw a couple of there cars in another forum and it looked in top condition

http://www.baysideautostyling.com.au/3.html

couple months back the price was $1000 for a closed door respray

and $2000 for complete car..

looks like his making some business and decided to put the prices up, still pretty cheap i guess ..check it out

hey frm whr u dd it?i need to respray my 2 door Lancer.plz reply

over a year later... good luck with that. And this ain't twitter or an SMS forum... for fooks sake, is it that hard to write out a full word??

Vu is cheap, but he ain't THAT cheap :D

anyways, OP has got it sorted. A quick/cheap option can sometimes be rough up the clear and blow over a layer of clear. Wouldn't expect it to 'stick' for too many yeas though...