SAU Community

How Would You Build A Street Sleeper?

Times have changed in the modified car community - even in Tasmania which has to have the most lax laws regarding modification and P plater restrictions in Australia. Generally (in other states anyway) if what you own hasn't been engineer approved its defect bait and even if you keep it stock the local constabulary lean hard on the skyline owner.

Not to mention driving a Skyline is bogan bait - like trying to get to work when every HSV/FPV Falcodore owner with two brain cells tries to race you between the lights (not that I have anything against Ford or Holden, merely I have something against some of their owners).

So I have been giving some serious thought to building a sleeper - a car that looks totally inconspicuous on the outside, but the engine, drivetrain and suspension are the main focus.

I have two cars that I fancy as a base:

A 1991 Toyota Cressida.

post-54926-1240292271_thumb.jpg

Yes its not pretty, but those seats are comfy and its fairly well equiped inside for a car of this age. The exterior is more bland than a similar year Camry - if thats possible. Bonus points go to this car because all the badges on them aare badly chromed from factory, leaving nice dull plastic badging on the exterior. 

An engine swap to a VVTi 1JZ-GTE is relatively simple all things considered and while its being done a high flow, low decibel exhaust would be made up along with high flow panel filter (to keep things quiet). Whether its mated to an auto or manual would be totally dependant on cost - autos are much cheaper and as all Cressidas are auto an automatic would probably be easiest. 

Note that a 2JZ could be used or even a 1UZ but for all intents and purposes the 1JZ is easiest and certainly more than gets the job done.

The diff will probably need to be changed to cope with this upgrade - and there are plenty of options available from TRD, to Supra diffs.

Electronically adjustable coilovers would find their way onto the car (eighteen year old soft suspension wouldn't be fun...), because lets face it who wants things rock hard all the time and its just plain convenient to have things adjustable in cabin.

With the extra power its would be wise to upgrade the brakes as well, for instance to a set of DBA Gold slotted and vented rotors front and rear. Another bonus is that the factory alloys or steelies won't let prying eyes spot your brake upgrades.

Mags would stay stock, whether that means factory 15" alloys or steelies, but stretch some good rubber over them first - like say Bridgestone Adrenalines, theres no kind of kill quite like overkill.

So you would end up with a family car that should be capable of running 12's.

The other is a (brace yourself) Volvo 740 Diesel Wagon.

post-54926-1240293404_thumb.jpg

Why you may ask? Well firstly it looks like a block of cheese. I know. Thats the purpose. Its diesel and theres a point to that. A) it will have diesel badges and B) the diesel front suspension is much harder than the petrol model to handle the weight of the pig iron block. 

This one is simple in comparison to the Cressida and can be summarised in five simple steps.

1) Remove engine

2) Get one 350 Chev plus one 388 eagle stroker kit plus get an awesome exhaust sorted plus sort a powerglide to suit with a B and M shift kit and high stall

3) Make up engine mounts and bolt in

4) May have to upgrade fuel pumps etc plus fit better rubber on all the wheels

5) Terrorise traffic

There may be a step 6) Have a horrible, horrible accident.

Honestly though the Volvo would only be built for the hilarity factor, and the Cressida could be used every day.

My question is how would you go about building a sleeper?

Edited by R33_Dude

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cresida, 2JZ, GT35R, getrag, supra diff, nice firm suspension, quiet but high flowing exhaust, good flowing FMIC but spray it black so no one sees it unless they're really looking.

That should be quick and not even register on the "bogan radar"

toyota aristo 2jz standard so no dicking around with costly engine conversions, that way you can spend that money on turbo, fuel pump, new injectors and a free flowing exhaust easy 400 horsepower with known toyota reliability and if their not into jap cars all they'll see is another a to b toyota but you'll know better

:)

Edited by benkoau

Volvo with an 8 has been done before many times...heavy car.

Cressida ....Now your talking.1JZ is a nice cheap sleeper which will leave the HSV boys crying in shame

Volvo with an 8 has been done before many times...heavy car.

Cressida ....Now your talking.1JZ is a nice cheap sleeper which will leave the HSV boys crying in shame

True volvos are heavy but thats nothing an angle grinder couldn't fix  :P

I have always wanted to do a Cressida - I have been carefully planning a swap for years. I wouldn't use a 2JZ for a couple of reasons. Firstly the swap is more difficult, you need to use a front sump which isn't (to my knowlege) on a 2JZ, the extra torque wouldn't be too healthy on a cressidas chassis and I think the engine mounts are different. That said the incentive to use one is high - easily modified huge stock power potential.

Crans: the R31 has kind of been ruined for a sleeper platform. A hell of a lot of them are getting modified nowadays. That said keep the exterior stock and sort an RB30/25 and you would have a cool car.

A friend of mine has a Cressida, with 2JZ with vvti, T51R, running 372rwkw....does 11's @ the strip..on the street probably low 12's.

Main problem you'll see is suspension set-up, but he's got a lot of power ie; spins in 4thmid track.

I've seen 200rwkw Silvias and 32's run Low 12's, it's all about suspension and tyre set-ups.

Bee-R limiter will help!

nissco did a 1UZ cressy, and a VH45 r31 wagon with r33 brakes/wheels

mechanics cars, sleepers, sounded great, and moved rather well!

i would go a cressy, 1UZ and supercharge it... i think the chassis is similar to a similar era supra too

cressida's have been done to death, and cant be a 'true' sleeper any more. it'd have to be something really obscure or pedestrain, that no hoon drives. volvo would be a good candidate. just pick anything that looks homo and cram an injectoed TT big block in there :P

ones that have alrady been done that come to mind:

VH commo, vacationer, all stocko outside, turbo 1UZ under the bonnet. cant remember what times it ran but bit was quick

2JZ shoved between KE20 strut towers, from the same guy that built the above

some shitbox LH torana, faded green paint, full bogan *on my way to centrelink* look, stock wheels, ran 10's

Edited by VB-

Toyota Chaser

Air intake, Engine, Exhaust, Suspension, Drivetrain and Brake modifications and leightweight it will help.

post-46584-1240296860_thumb.jpg

post-46584-1240296867_thumb.jpg

Nissan Stagea

Air intake, Engine, Exhaust, Suspension, Drivetrain and Brake modifications and leightweight it will help.

post-46584-1240297090_thumb.jpg

Nissan Skyline V35

post-46584-1240297306_thumb.jpg

Toyota KE70

post-46584-1240297650_thumb.jpg

Toyota Trueno AE86

post-46584-1240297718_thumb.jpg

Datsun Fairlady 240Z / 260Z / 280ZX - Nissan KPGC10 (Will take me a while to find one tho... Keep searching...)

post-46584-1240298238_thumb.jpg

My dad had a 260ZX and a 280ZX.

The 280ZX was built and tuned by Z Shop in Melbourne, VIC.

Racing Cam, modified High Flow Air Intake, modified extractors and full straight through 2.25" exhaust, 300ZX TT 5 Speed gear box.

Loved pulling up next to a V8 and they thought they could win. Hah!

I'd probably go something a lil bit different...

Like a datsun 280B, or Super 6 or something that is old but has a lil bit of class but is still a small light car. Good news is that they actually LOOK cool, but if it is neat, you wont get hassled in it.

Then, run a decent SR20DET, or an RB series engine if it will fit. Id make it look factory... nice and neat so anyone who looked at it would nearly think you could option these old girls with that engine.

Itd be white, with 14" wheels and stock steel hub caps. Sitting a lil bit lower than standard...

With venetians.

Autech 260RS, its ready to go. No need to build anything or fab up custom parts. Just get the stock turbos in the bin, run some -7's at 1.5bar, PFC, S tune filter, kakimoto exhaust. Done.

wagon with a pillow and blowup mattress in the back.

real sleeper :P

no seriously ..look for something with a large engine bay. EA falcon etc. If it were me id be putting a gen3 5.7ltr with a blower.

Autech 260RS, its ready to go. No need to build anything or fab up custom parts. Just get the stock turbos in the bin, run some -7's at 1.5bar, PFC, S tune filter, kakimoto exhaust. Done.

Ah yeah!

True, as it has a RB26DETT.

Got abit carried away. :P

Toyota Crown with a 1JZ?

HR-31 4 Door w/RB26, since most people can't tell the difference between these and the Aussie made model. Or an Aussie station wagon (a mate literally did a wheelie in front of the cops albeit accidentaly once in his, and they didnt even bother to pull him over.)

Umm i don't know about the feasability of it, but one of those pusbox mid 90's magna's with a turbo motor (think faded as shit paint, smashed bumpers, pink playboy seat covers, shazza with screaming brats inside type rig)

I've always wanted to make a XD wagon completely mission spec on the outside with roof racks, and a V8 or turbo 6 under the bonnet :P

Edited by bozodos

Toyota Chaser

post-46584-1240296860_thumb.jpg

post-46584-1240296867_thumb.jpg

Nissan Stagea

post-46584-1240297090_thumb.jpg

Nissan Skyline V35

post-46584-1240297306_thumb.jpg

Toyota KE70

post-46584-1240297650_thumb.jpg

Toyota Trueno AE86

post-46584-1240297718_thumb.jpg

Datsun Fairlady 240Z / 260Z / 280ZX - Nissan KPGC10 (Will take me a while to find one tho... Keep searching...)

post-46584-1240298238_thumb.jpg

My dad had a 260ZX and a 280ZX.

The 280ZX was built and tuned by Z Shop in Melbourne, VIC.

Racing Cam, modified High Flow Air Intake, modified extractors and full straight through 2.25" exhaust, 300ZX TT 5 Speed gear box.

Loved pulling up next to a V8 and they thought they could win. Hah!

Thing is none of these are sleepers. Everyone knows what a chaser is now, the same goes for a stagea, V35's are incredibly flashy, KE70's are modified for drift all the time,  an AE86 is the opposite of a sleeper in every way - its only (arguably) the most famous import OF ALL TIME, and the Z series of cars are incredibly recognisable.

Modified they manage to be even more un-sleeperish.

I suppose it depends on how you classify a sleeper.

For me a sleeper is a car that has unexpected performance from generally an unexpeected package.

Sure a twin turbo LS1 powered VT executive on steelies is a sleeper in my book, hell flick off the v8 badges and no-one would know.

The other is a (brace yourself) Volvo 740 Diesel Wagon.

post-54926-1240293404_thumb.jpg

Why you may ask? Well firstly it looks like a block of cheese. I know. Thats the purpose. Its diesel and theres a point to that. A) it will have diesel badges and B) the diesel front suspension is much harder than the petrol model to handle the weight of the pig iron block.

This one is simple in comparison to the Cressida and can be summarised in five simple steps.

1) Remove engine

2) Get one 350 Chev plus one 388 eagle stroker kit plus get an awesome exhaust sorted plus sort a powerglide to suit with a B and M shift kit and high stall

3) Make up engine mounts and bolt in

4) May have to upgrade fuel pumps etc plus fit better rubber on all the wheels

5) Terrorise traffic

There may be a step 6) Have a horrible, horrible accident.

Honestly though the Volvo would only be built for the hilarity factor, and the Cressida could be used every day.

My question is how would you go about building a sleeper?

that would be some ish how ever dont sleep on the turbo 2.3. things can handle 30 psi of boost make ruffly 450 hp. and considering the locker rears they have. things will always be a bit hair raising.