SAU Community

How Much Should A Full Rb25det Rebuild Cost?

Hey all i dropped my car into my tuners workshop a copy of months ago to get my car tuned back to 7psi of boost because my old EBC had seazed and wasnt holding boost, anway i put a new boost controller into my car and i was hopeing to get a full tune on my car because it was running a little rough and i wanted the boost put back up to a bar. I got a phone call today from my tuner saying bad news piston number 6 has low compression and will need a full rebuild ive been quoted $7 grand how much would you pay for a full rebuild ????

7 grand - that would be forged pistons, tidy up of the head and so on.

If your chasing near stock motor limits (upto say... 250rwkw), i wouldnt go forged at all. Not really worth it.

a stock rebuild would be in the ballpark of ~3.5k - 4k.

Thats if the stock crank is OK to use again.

You really need a set of new stocker/acl replacement style pistons. Use the rods you have, new bearings, head gasket, minor machining and so on etc etc... plus motor in/out as well.

So ye, around 3.5k-4k for a stocker style rebuild it think is accurate enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Well ive worked out what im doin with my motor. Im gonna rebuild it myself, with help from my mechanic who's had alot of experience in building performance motors. I will be pulling it to bits myself but getting help with putting it back together again! Im looking at doin a full rebuild. Im gonna get a bottom end rebuild kit from horsepowerinabox.com and Ive got a workshop manual. Im just hopeing that machining isnt gonna cost too much! My mechanic has recommended a head tidy up aswell! So work will be started tomorrow ! :P

Well ive worked out what im doin with my motor. Im gonna rebuild it myself, with help from my mechanic who's had alot of experience in building performance motors. I will be pulling it to bits myself but getting help with putting it back together again! Im looking at doin a full rebuild. Im gonna get a bottom end rebuild kit from horsepowerinabox.com and Ive got a workshop manual. Im just hopeing that machining isnt gonna cost too much! My mechanic has recommended a head tidy up aswell! So work will be started tomorrow ! :P

It's a great learning experience. Make sure you don't follow the instructions too closely in the manual as there are quite a few catches when you don't use Nissan Genuine parts to replace with.

PM DirtGarage or myself if you have any questions that need answering, or put them up here as there are a lot of smart engine builders around here.

I would also recommend calling engineers like Chilton Engineering and ask Dave what he would typically do to an RB engine as far as machining goes. That will give you a good idea on what you should be doing and you can decide how far you want to go from that.

A lot of people will tell you one type of piston or bearing brand is superior to others but at the end of the day, go with the parts that you can get local support for and that are a well known high quality product. There is nothing worse than trying to send back a set of rings or bearings to the other side of the country because they don't measure up right.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all im looking at putting a good set of cams into my skyline.people tell me alot of different things and sizes but no1 can really give me any proper answers .what should i put in to my skyline????? its confusing me Its a 97 R33 auto ( auto has been worked up to handle power)im looking at getting a full over haul of the head .ive been told tomiie poncams are great but i wona get good power out of the car with out to much boost .the mods ive done to the car are

CGC highflow

500HP fuel pump

Apexi SAFC 2

Full 3inch

pod

Hks fuel reg

Metal head gasket (to be installed)

forged pistons (to be installed)

Thanks

• 3 years later...

im looking for a rebuild place to rebuild my RB25 DET engine, been also thinking of doing it my self but need to get engine machined and stuff so dont think it worth it,

i also thought of getting a secondhand engine but who knows it will have same problem. so i thinking just a stock rebuild with standard parts , but want bottom end and head redone and also

all new gaskets , oil pump , water pump and the 100k service done, any recommendations?

Hey all im looking at putting a good set of cams into my skyline.people tell me alot of different things and sizes but no1 can really give me any proper answers .what should i put in to my skyline????? its confusing me Its a 97 R33 auto ( auto has been worked up to handle power)im looking at getting a full over haul of the head .ive been told tomiie poncams are great but i wona get good power out of the car with out to much boost .the mods ive done to the car are

CGC highflow

500HP fuel pump

Apexi SAFC 2

Full 3inch

pod

Hks fuel reg

Metal head gasket (to be installed)

forged pistons (to be installed)

Thanks

Good on ya - do it yourself and learn (and hopefully save a few bucks as well).

Yes Poncams will be fine but you need a proper ecu before you go much further (SAFC won't do)

Check with Nistune but I think you need a particular Z32 ecu and then a Nistune chip for it to make it tunable.

You won't get too much boost from a GCG highflow - you should use whatever it can make - 16-17 psi - why are you afraid of boost?

You'll probably need a Z32 afm some bigger injectors and a FMIC as well.