SAU Community

R33 Gts-t Randomly Stalling While Driving? Pls Help!

Hi Fellas,

My car has started to stall randomly while driving and while idleing.

For example, I would be driving my car 10-15 mins, and then it feel like the engine shuts down, then switches back on, the shuts down, switches back on, almost as though the fuel cuts in and out.??

The happens can happen whenever, full throttle, idle, cruising speed, you name it.

It'll happen to me 2-3 times while driving and frankly it's getting quite dangerous when my car stalls on a busy street.

WHen the problem occurs on idle, the rpm drops to almost 0, then bounce back up to 1000, then back down to almost 0, so strange? and it only occurs some times which really puzzles me?

SOmetimes I can go for a 30min drive and it doesn't happen...

DO you fellas have any idea what it might be?

Fuel pump? Coil packs? spark issue? Tune on the car?

ANy help would be great.

Cheers and have a good long w/e

Hi Fellas,

For example, I would be driving my car 10-15 mins, and then it feel like the engine shuts down, then switches back on, the shuts down, switches back on, almost as though the fuel cuts in and out.??

The happens can happen whenever, full throttle, idle, cruising speed, you name it.

It'll happen to me 2-3 times while driving and frankly it's getting quite dangerous when my car stalls on a busy street.

WHen the problem occurs on idle, the rpm drops to almost 0, then bounce back up to 1000, then back down to almost 0, so strange? and it only occurs some times which really puzzles me?

ANy help would be great.

That happened to my 33, I replaced the Idle stepper motor, cleaned the AFM and repositioned the TPS. fixed it.

Good luck

Hi Fellas,

ANy help would be great.

The less residue you leave on the AFM the better - residue (especially oily crap) promotes more sh*t sticking to the wire element .... what I did with mine, flushed the element in the middle of the AFM with a bit of acetone using a little squiter / dropper.... watched all the brown shit come dripping off. Just gotta watch the acetone doesnt come into contact with the wall of the AFM for too long, being plastic, you wouldnt wanna melt it lol its lucky acetone evaporates quickly....

Hi fellas,

I got some carby cleaner yesterday and cleaned the wires in the AFM with it.

Alot of brown shit flowed off so it looks brand spankin new now.

It hasn't stalled since and I have a feeling the problem is solved (fingers crossed)

Thanks for all your help fellas, greatly appreciated.

Fellas,

The stalling thing happened again yesterday...... I must say but it's improved,

If it was a 8/10 pain in the arse last time, now it's about 2/10.

Nonetheless, it's still doing it??

Should I take out the AFM again and spray it again??

Is your BOV plumb back or atmo? Atmo vented BOVs have been known to cause the same problem. Could also be your Idle Air Control Valve? I think its called. Will probably need cleaning and the idle resetting eiter with the TPS or through the ECU.

When I had my 33 gtst the same thing happened to me. I did the above and it never happened again.

Here is a great tutorial for cleaning the IAC in case you're unsure what to do.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Di...nd-t110431.html

Is your BOV plumb back or atmo? Atmo vented BOVs have been known to cause the same problem. Could also be your Idle Air Control Valve? I think its called. Will probably need cleaning and the idle resetting eiter with the TPS or through the ECU.

When I had my 33 gtst the same thing happened to me. I did the above and it never happened again.

Here is a great tutorial for cleaning the IAC in case you're unsure what to do.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Di...nd-t110431.html

Yeah, I might give the ACC a clean.

It's strange, when idle drops, the voltage on the PFC displays 8.8v, maybe it's something to do with my alternator?

What puzzles me is that it can happen at any time, thats why I don't think it's the ACC. The stall can happen even when I am fully on boost, and bang it'll just cut out, then it will cut back in again... It can also randomly just happen on idle...

Maybe it's something to do with the tune???

series 1? sounds like the classic power transistor/ignition module is on its way out

It's a series 1, but it has a series 2 engine?

I've also recently placed the RB30 short block on it, with 256 in 264 exh cams, porged pistons, rods etc etc, and a GT35R turbo.

The car is currently on it's run in tune.

sometimes in the middle of driving the engine just stalls... it can usually be just pulled over onto the side of the road and started again.. sometimes it doesnt quite get to the point of stalling but just has an extreme lack of power and no acceleration ability for a few seconds..

I've read a few commodore threads and it seems that their problem is always the CAS...???