Jump to content
SAU Community

Transfering Rego Nsw->vic


Recommended Posts

hey guys

i have tried to search up about this but cant find anything clear on what steps u have to take to get the transfer over from nsw to vic.

im looking at buying a new car but its got nsw plates on it.

i know i have to get a road worthy cert but does vic roads have to inspect the car as well?

if anyone has been through this any help would be much appreciated =]

my main concern isnt getting the road worthy just want to know if vic roads have to check over the ccar


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Tin,

they will look over the car, but solely to check the numbers.

All you need is an appointment, a RWC and a declaration of sale from the previous owner. Make sure that includes his license number, date of birth and current address.

Good luck, bruv!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I did mine, I let the rego run out in NSW before organising VIC rego, however:

I had a road worthy done on the car by a Vic Roads accredited centre within the 30 day limit. I took the road worthy to the vic roads office and told them it was a new registration, along with the receipt from sale (just a word doc the seller and I signed).

The lady asked how much I wanted to declare the car for even though the receipt told her. I paid my 12 months VIC rego plus stamp duty and the $90 to put my plates back on. Was just over $2K from memory.

To get the remaining rego back from NSW, I believe you need to apply to the RTA up there like you would normally do for Vic Roads down here. You don't transfer as such.

I walked out with a VIC registered car.


**Edit - just saw post above, they don't need to see the car, that can come up if there are any questions over the value but definately don't need to sight it. Sighting the car is more common on first rego, e.g. after compliance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i dont think they look at the car..all you need is a RWC and they take the nsw plates and give u vic plates and you pay all the stamp duty and tax i think!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks guys for the help so far.

so really i just need a RWC, make an appointment and pay for new 12months reg, stamp duty is that correct?

cause the thing is the sellers rego runs out in 2 weeks =/

and say if i cant get the rwc in time that would prbly mean vic roads would have to see the car right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Yes you are correct

If you can't get the RWC in that time, yes potentially they may want to see it as when it is does eventually get a roadworthy, it will be unregistered. I am not 100% sure if when renewing NSW rego, the car needs a pink slip at the same time but possibly get the seller to renew in NSW to buy yourself some more time then just cash the rego in up there when you are ready.

I wouldn't have thought you would struggle to get a RWC inside 2 weeks though down here, waiting lists in my experience aren't that long normally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found that sometimes they do need to see the car even if it's registered. My WA registered silvia had to be seen. I was told it was so they could verify the compliance plate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

  • Latest Posts

    • Hello all, I would kindly ask if anyone had a Left Hand Side weather strip retainer (New Old Stock only please) available for the R34 GTR? Part number(s): 76871-AA101 / 76871-AA100 I have sourced the RHS but the LHS so far is proving elusive. I am based in the UK & will gladly pay shipping if someone has one available.  Many thanks
    • You can change the oil but I'd avoid full synthetic until you've done a few more km. Chrome or iron rings? If they're iron go for it they'll be fine, chome just a bit longer 
    • I hate to say it, but this isn't a 'great length' to steal a car. The people that steal high value cars are very used to stealing cars from garages. It really isn't a complicated process, a lot of people leave their keys in very typical places (think bowl/rack by the front door). You break into the house, grab the key and off you go. So what, in about 1 minutes time they have taken the car?  Probably goes without saying that most of these cars being pinched in this manner are the higher end Audi/AMG/etc. It's the same process though regardless of whatever the car is.  If you're worried about this, keep your car out of sight. If no one knows its in the garage, no one is coming for it. Other things include if you have an aftermarket ECU, change a setting so the car won't start even with the keys, setup CCTV cameras that ping your phone on activation etc.  If you think it's hard to break into a house to grab the keys first, just picture the fire fighters coming to recuse someone from a burning house. It's what, 10 seconds to gain entry if that? Locks only help honest people stay honest. 
    • Yes but when you buy that Nissan/Ryco filter it comes in a Nissan box labelled as Nissan. In this case it was in an Aisin box. A heads up would have been nice. If I had received it in an Exedy box I wouldn't have a problem if that's what Exedy supplied. I don't really care as long as it does the job as well as the Exedy did. 8 years of 300+rwkw with a fair bit of abuse. Time will tell as always. I have a swirl pot thingy, constantly self bleeding. If it is air in there it will sort itself out soon enough.
  • Create New...