SAU Community

Vq35 Plenum Spacers For V35/g35/350z

It seems like there are 3 brands, being SKUNK2, Motordyne and BLOX.

Motordyne has various models for the spacers, being 1/2", 5/16" in Basic, ISO Thermo, ISO Copper. Unless you live in a cold area, buy the BASIC at about $200USD. I haven't seen a DYNO sheet for this one yet.

MotordyneBASICPlenum.jpg

As for SKUNK2, it's a plastic composite of some sort and is approx $200USD also. SKUNK has it's own DYNO sheet to show HP gains.

SKUNKPlenum.jpg

Motordynemrev2a.jpg

The cheapest is BLOX (about 1/2 price at $100USD). Given that it is also plastic composite, if you are on a budget, go for this one.

BLOXPlenum.jpg

To those who have bought, can you comment on:

1. Would you buy it again?

2. Was there noticeable difference after install?

As to a group buy, there is no need. Go search ebay.com USA and type in plenum spacer, and they all appear.

Furthermore to this, can anyone comment on the MOTORDYNE MREV2 LOWER COLLECTOR? At $450USD, is it a worthwhile 'gamble'?

Motordynemrev2.jpg

This post is inspired by Maximus007's Group Buy on the Motordyne Plenum Spacer (closed).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motordyne 5/16 basic here.

For me, i did feel a difference, in fact a massive difference for me (this will be different for everyone as to how in tune you are with your car, what you classify as a big/small difference and driving style)..

I feel power has improved impressively considering the cost, response *may* be a tad better. Feels better through whole rpm range but more noticeable from mid to cutout. Oh and yeah, i'd definitely buy it again.

As for the mrev2 lower collector, if you have the vq35de, probably skip the mrev2...from what everyone says, it gives very poor value for money in terms of performance increase. On the HR engines however, it works really well. The US enthusiasts generally use the guide of vq35de should install spacer, vq35hr should use mrev2+spacer.

Note: My car when stock had really low power output (i'm talking lower than 130 kw atw) so it is possible my mods are releasing the typical power + the power i should've had in the first place, hence the big difference feel for me.

As I think I've mentioned, I found the exhaust/z-tube/plenum spacer combo to make a huge difference in response and feel. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to check each component individually, but you can't have it all.

Yeah exhaust/spacer/intake seems a pretty good combo for the vq35de :)

With these and a little more, my coupe can comfortably do sub 6 to 100km/h in acceleration. In gear acceleration is quite good too considering displacement and n/a nature of the car.

-Exhaust alone of course makes the car louder, the rev range will be nicer from mid mostly and you'll feel a bit at cutout (for a typical catback/y pipe back).

-Z tube makes not much difference by itself, engine was a bit louder when giving it. The revs may have climbed a *little little* bit quicker compared to oem tube.

-Dropping in a high flow panel filter gave the car a tiny bit more power, i noticed the revs climbing quicker with this than just the z tube.

-Spacer made an impressive difference to me. Engine was once again a little louder along with exhaust. Revs climbed a fair bit quicker and i can feel the difference from in gear acceleration as well. My fuel economy may have improved too but i'm not 100% on this.. maybe slightly.

I suspect if you already have the z tube and a filter/intake, the spacer makes full use of this along with the fact that it's preventing the front intake runners from being starved of air under high load. So perhaps spacer by itself isn't as good as say spacer+intake.

The above is my opinion only, you may get different results. All on an 03 coupe 6mt.

I've also had mildly improved fuel economy with the spacer/exhaust/z-tube combo. I was averaging under 7km/L (stop-start traffic every day), now it's on 7.6! At this rate I might make my investment back in 10 years or so :whistling:

Well i got the skunk2 Spacer and the JWT intake. I have done a before and after test on the Spacer and going in tomorrow for a after test on the intake.

Let you know.

Yeah exhaust/spacer/intake seems a pretty good combo for the vq35de :P

With these and a little more, my coupe can comfortably do sub 6 to 100km/h in acceleration. In gear acceleration is quite good too considering displacement and n/a nature of the car.

-Exhaust alone of course makes the car louder, the rev range will be nicer from mid mostly and you'll feel a bit at cutout (for a typical catback/y pipe back).

-Z tube makes not much difference by itself, engine was a bit louder when giving it. The revs may have climbed a *little little* bit quicker compared to oem tube.

-Dropping in a high flow panel filter gave the car a tiny bit more power, i noticed the revs climbing quicker with this than just the z tube.

-Spacer made an impressive difference to me. Engine was once again a little louder along with exhaust. Revs climbed a fair bit quicker and i can feel the difference from in gear acceleration as well. My fuel economy may have improved too but i'm not 100% on this.. maybe slightly.

I suspect if you already have the z tube and a filter/intake, the spacer makes full use of this along with the fact that it's preventing the front intake runners from being starved of air under high load. So perhaps spacer by itself isn't as good as say spacer+intake.

The above is my opinion only, you may get different results. All on an 03 coupe 6mt.

I have the 03 manual as well. I'm going tomorrow to get a dyno run and possible talk about a tune depending on price. I'm currently researching and in the market for a motordyne spacer 5/16" , k&n drop in filter and the z-tube.

There are so many z-tube stainless steel , CF , etc im not sure which one to buy , what do you think?

As for my mods i already have a fuji exhaust system, and some impul ecu that im not real happy about. I think it cuts out the revs higher like 7500rpm's but i believe no one can tune it or it cant be tuned. I will find out tomorrow.

Hey manda23,

Yep i would definitely recommend a combo like you've mentioned. It's all quite cheap and pretty good bang for buck if you're after a bit more power/acceleration. As above, i'm using the motordyne 5/16 basic and found it easy to install and to give solid gains. My Z tube is oem. And i'm running a trust/greddy airinx dropin panel filter.

For the z tube, i don't really recommend the steel ones as they heatsoak (especially on a hotday). Go with either the oem plastic z tube or a CF/silicone one imho. If you go with a CF one, make sure it's a good quality one, not a cheapie that will crack under usage lol =/

For the K&N filter, maybe try looking for a dry filter ? As during cleaning of the K&N, you have to reoil it and if done too much, oil will build up on your air flow meter making the car not run optimally (only happens when you apply too much oil...but why not just get a dry filter in the first place :) )

The stock cutout for the vq35de is 6600rpms and if yours is around 7500rpms, definitely some kind of ecu tweaking happening there. The impul ecu i don't think anyone in Aus will be able to tune. Also without knowing what internals you have, might be a good idea to keep the revs under 7200rpms. The stock internals start deforming past 7200rpms. A decent solution that i'm thinking of is the emanage ultimate. Enough functions for our cars plus it can adjust the rev limit and also disable 180km/h speed limit for track etc.

How'd you go on the dyno and the ECU thing ? :D

I have the 03 manual as well. I'm going tomorrow to get a dyno run and possible talk about a tune depending on price. I'm currently researching and in the market for a motordyne spacer 5/16" , k&n drop in filter and the z-tube.

There are so many z-tube stainless steel , CF , etc im not sure which one to buy , what do you think?

As for my mods i already have a fuji exhaust system, and some impul ecu that im not real happy about. I think it cuts out the revs higher like 7500rpm's but i believe no one can tune it or it cant be tuned. I will find out tomorrow.

How'd the popcharger do ? I've heard mixed reports but most good! Did they dyno with bonnet up or down ? If bonnet was up.. kinda gives the open pod an unfair advantage that wouldn't exist under road driving.

I've also had mildly improved fuel economy with the spacer/exhaust/z-tube combo. I was averaging under 7km/L (stop-start traffic every day), now it's on 7.6! At this rate I might make my investment back in 10 years or so :)

Hey manda23,

Yep i would definitely recommend a combo like you've mentioned. It's all quite cheap and pretty good bang for buck if you're after a bit more power/acceleration. As above, i'm using the motordyne 5/16 basic and found it easy to install and to give solid gains. My Z tube is oem. And i'm running a trust/greddy airinx dropin panel filter.

For the z tube, i don't really recommend the steel ones as they heatsoak (especially on a hotday). Go with either the oem plastic z tube or a CF/silicone one imho. If you go with a CF one, make sure it's a good quality one, not a cheapie that will crack under usage lol =/

For the K&N filter, maybe try looking for a dry filter ? As during cleaning of the K&N, you have to reoil it and if done too much, oil will build up on your air flow meter making the car not run optimally (only happens when you apply too much oil...but why not just get a dry filter in the first place :D )

The stock cutout for the vq35de is 6600rpms and if yours is around 7500rpms, definitely some kind of ecu tweaking happening there. The impul ecu i don't think anyone in Aus will be able to tune. Also without knowing what internals you have, might be a good idea to keep the revs under 7200rpms. The stock internals start deforming past 7200rpms. A decent solution that i'm thinking of is the emanage ultimate. Enough functions for our cars plus it can adjust the rev limit and also disable 180km/h speed limit for track etc.

How'd you go on the dyno and the ECU thing ? :)

I'm still waiting on dyno they are running an hour behind. And on thr phone I waS quoted nothing over $100 for a power run and when I got there the guy said $150. So if they trying to rip me il be going else where. From what I have read the cf z-tube from the z-store is of good quality so might go with that one. Why did u get the basic spacer and not the ISO ? As for the filter i have still heard good things about the k&n drop in so il get that one didnt kmow there was a wet and dry one so il get the dry one now i know , thanks .When I get back home il try to post up my results.

Ouch! $150 for a dyno run is excessive...it should be $88 (in sydney).

Most places equipped with a dyno dynamics usually charge $88. Not sure on dynapaks etc as they have more labour with the removal of wheels etc.

I don't think K&N do a dry filter, only wet. As they are supposed to last million miles or something, it has to be a wet type due to user servicing (cleaning every so often). For reference, my greddy panel was $50 and is a dry type, but doens't last a million miles lol.

I went with basic because i didn't really want the engine to cop anymore heat (the manifold kinda acts as a heatsink for the engine plus i have the enginer cover removed). The highish compression ratio and the design means the motor runs pretty hot and i've noticed on my car the cooler the engine is, the better it runs (much better.. most likely ECU advancing timing). BUT i was suffering from a heat issue with my car when i bought it stock. I'd daresay my car had problems that no one else does though so YMMV.

They are charging me $100 and he looked at the impul he said never seen it before but I'm going to get the power run anyway just to see the output and how it's running with the Aussie fuel . I did mention to him about the spacer and he said something about clearance under the bonnet .

They are charging me $100 and he looked at the impul he said never seen it before but I'm going to get the power run anyway just to see the output and how it's running with the Aussie fuel . I did mention to him about the spacer and he said something about clearance under the bonnet .

Just quickly here is the results . He said i should be happy and with the mods im looking at should add another 15-20kws, Is this result at the wheels or what ? Its my first time :D

post-55737-1242282723_thumb.jpg

Just quickly here is the results . He said i should be happy and with the mods im looking at should add another 15-20kws, Is this result at the wheels or what ? Its my first time :)

If you have a spacer then you should get 170kw at the wheels thats what i got.

read this

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Sk...20&start=20

You will have no issues with bonnet clearance with the motordyne 5/16" spacer. I haven't read of anyone that has. Maybe plastic engine cover clearance maybe (the plastic thing ontop of the manifold).

read this

Different dyno, different car, different conditions. Can't compare. Just like CRD's dyno reading 15-20kw atw difference compared to other dynos. UAS have a stingy low reading dyno etc etc.

Manda23,

Congrats, not a bad result.

I'm not sure about another 15-20kw atws though from the mods. I noticed you dyno'd at pulse and i've found the figures their dyno puts out to be not be bad (i.e average, not low or high reading) from my experience.

If you're thinking of getting it tuned there though, please PM me as i've got some info. I can't post it as it might look like i'm badmouthing or something.

read this

With the motordyne spacer k&n filter and the z-tube

I'm hoping for 180kw that would be great . A friend told me better off going with some cams for the money and would be looking around the 200kw area . What do you guys think ? How much are cams and what's the ones to get ?