SAU Community

Holset Hx35w Installation In Standard Low Mount Position

yep thats some big power right there...

what sort of boost are you running? looks like full boost at just before 5000rpm but still good power before then.

i was going to put mine back on tonight but couldnt be arsed,,, will do it this week though.

there is a guy here at work that used to build drag cars and said the holsets have been his choice for reliability for a long time. he used to run 2 super hx40's on a hemi. it made 1236hp at 36psi on c16.

he laughed when i said i was hoping to get 300rwkw out of the hx35 i have. he said it would piss it in.

Boost.

DSCF5005.jpg

afr.

DSCF5004.jpg

The hx35/40 14cm seems to behave alot like a 35r for spool an power on these subarus but i know what one will last longer. There is more power to be had here with more boost but i wasn't keen to start breaking stuff.

egbp/boost pressure ratio at 7k and 1.47bar is 1.4:1

That spool is about what i see on the road in 3rd gear, 4th is about 1 bar at 4.2k

Edited by megrac

Interesting. You said that was on a 2.5L, right? My HX35/40 hybrid was at a 1.5 bar by less than 4krpm. The vid is kind of deceiving. I have since learned to use the hand controller and just shoot for a certain boost number, get out of it, and look at the peaks. My full on HX40 with a 19cm housing does the same kind of numbers on the hand controller as the vid shows, but it's laggier for sure. I'd knock a few hundred rpm off of whatever you see on the vid as the tach seems to lag behind a bit.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Spoolin...id-a_147457.htm

The HX30 I think would be to small for a RB25, but that's not experience speaking.

Edited by Cjmartz2k

This engine has headers that i would say have alot more volume than rb headers also it has very retarded intake cams, remember this is a subaru, they are crap. If it was a newer one with avcs cams spool would be alot better.

My engine has never spun up turbos well. Even my old trust td06 20g took till 3.9k to get 1 bar in 3rd. I just live with it.

I've tried many turbos over the years and this one would be the most fun by a long shot, i've tried smaller housings but this engine is very fussy to egbp and will not make good power when its to high(the top end will just drop right away), this turbo has about the lowest egbp for its boost resonse i've found so far without spending too much money.

I only paid for a new compressor wheel and a rebuild kit, the rest was free and i have a turbo balancer at home so that makes playing with turbos easy.

Boost.

DSCF5005.jpg

afr.

DSCF5004.jpg

The hx35/40 14cm seems to behave alot like a 35r for spool an power on these subarus but i know what one will last longer. There is more power to be had here with more boost but i wasn't keen to start breaking stuff.

egbp/boost pressure ratio at 7k and 1.47bar is 1.4:1

That spool is about what i see on the road in 3rd gear, 4th is about 1 bar at 4.2k

edit: wrong thread

Edited by URAS

Hey Cjmartz, the 35 seems like it pull really hard once it gets on song- what are the specs on your setup if you dont mind me asking?

(Sorry to jack the thread Ceffie!)

Edited by Yeedogga

Hey Cjmartz, the 35 seems like it pull really hard once it gets on song- what are the specs on your setup if you dont mind me asking?

(Sorry to jack the thread Ceffie!)

Just so I don't threadjack this thread, here's some info I posted up a while ago about my experience with holsets. If you can't find the info you're looking for in that, just ask me in that thread so I don't steal CEF11's thunder :)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ho...-s-t247809.html

its all good. happy to have a conversation about these turbos in 1 place. feel free to chat about these turbos in this thread.

I had a bugger of a time getting the circlip that holds the compressor cover on back in place last night... its the worlds biggest circlip!

HERE IS A GOOD THREAD documenting a rebuild of a holset. check it out

alrighty,

the turbo is back on and running. its no longer blowing smoke. the rebuild was fairly easy. anyone with a really good set of tools and good mechanical knowledge could rebuild one. I am getting fairly quick at removing/refitting turbos now. it took me 45 min to get it off the other day and it took me and hour and a half to refit it last night.

CJmartz2k,

I have taken out the silencer ring in the compressor housing and the turbo makes a really high pitch whizzzzzzz type whine when over about 15psi its fairly loud... does your turbo do this? i have seen a few of your clips and have not heard it. The turbo has a 4 to 3" silicone reducer being fed from a 3" mandrel bend that is metal so this might be amplifying the noise. can you describe your hi boost noise?

I had to remove to standard BOV due to clearance issues with the bonnet and I now have a blitz superwank, oops i mean super sound BOV fitted in the intake piping. it is not relieving pressure at low boost and I have fulleh sic compressor cho cho choooo happening so I have to sort that out.

To give those who know bikes a comparison, I have a CBR600R with a pipe and a jet kit, it puts out 108rwhp. the skyline now smashes it!!!

CJmartz2k,

I have taken out the silencer ring in the compressor housing and the turbo makes a really high pitch whizzzzzzz type whine when over about 15psi its fairly loud... does your turbo do this? i have seen a few of your clips and have not heard it. The turbo has a 4 to 3" silicone reducer being fed from a 3" mandrel bend that is metal so this might be amplifying the noise. can you describe your hi boost noise?

To give those who know bikes a comparison, I have a CBR600R with a pipe and a jet kit, it puts out 108rwhp. the skyline now smashes it!!!

I've never had the ring on, so I can't really compare, but it makes a pretty distinct sound from inside the cabin. Kinda like a jet engine starting or the sound a bus makes when it's puffing really hard trying to make it up a steep hill. You can hear it mostly from inside the car until the wastegates open and all hell breaks loose. Maybe yours is more noticeable since your running the internal gate. Could you post up a vid or something? Those vids of mine are with the old HX35/40 hybrid turbo and even a TO4e for some of them BTW, not the full boogy HX40. Your motivating me to make a nice compilation video with the new turbo on there now.

That's cool to hear about spanking your CBR600R though. I have a healthy respect of bikes and know most cars will get blown away by most bikes. I took one of my buddies out for a spin after work one afternoon, and we got caught at the light next to a CBR600RR and a long straight stretch of road in front of us. He was blipping the throttle trying to antogonize me, and my buddy starts talking about how his brother has one and how the stupid cars try to race him all the time and get spanked and how cars are just no where as fast as bikes. The light turns green, and I start slipping the clutch but going slow waiting for him to get on it. He let me get a couple of cars down the road before he dumped, hung his legs back, it and put the front tire in the air. I punched (I'm on drag radials from the previous night's activites) it and spanky quickly realised he wasn't going to be able to play around with me. I saw him put the front tire down and tuck about half way through my second gear. Ran it out through the top of 4th and he never gained an inch. Scared the piss out of my passenger too. I told him to make sure and tell his brother about it. :)

in reply to an earlier post about the wastegate on the hx35w.

it seems to hold boost qiote well in standard form. i plugged a manifold pressure guage up to a logger on my pc today and its quite steady with the standard gate. it does spike 1 psi just as it hits full boost and then tapers of almost 2 psi by redline but for manual control that is fantastic. I have been using the adjustable actuator to controll boost. it has a screw thread on the rod. and you can set it from about 10 psi up to wel and beyond what you would want to run, but i am guessing it would hold 36psi no problems.

i am going to keep the preload set to 15 psi and control boost with a turbotech. once I have time it will be going back on the dyno to tidy up the tune. I might tone it down a bit and cap it a 300rwkw to keep the motor in good health.

the torque off boost is very good and boost is very progressive.

The turbines in these turbos are HEAVY!!! i really noticed it when rebuilding it. and after putting it together I tried reving in with a few short stabs before taking off and noticed it comes on boost a lot sooner by doing this compared to a smaller turbo.

I have also noticed short sharp gear changes keep the turbo spining and there is NO LAG between gears if you keep your changes smooth and fast.

I still have difficulty beliving this is a turbo off a 6 litre diesel truck that cost $150

having said that, from bolting the old one off to bolting this one on and having it running has cost me in excess of $1500 and that was with me fabricating everything. dump, manifold adapter, lines and pipe work are all custom and then there is labor ontop of that. so if you were going to pay a work shop to do it all for you it would be the same price to buy an off the shelf gt35r or something the like.

but It is something different and I am glad I went this way. not just for the sake of doing something different but I learnt a lot and will be sticking to holset's for future projects.

Hey man, great to know that it all worked out so well n that you are happy with the setup! Good on ya for putting your findings up on here, I'm sure your info will be a good reference for other SAUers!

Cheers mate!

Now post vids!

Hey man, great to know that it all worked out so well n that you are happy with the setup! Good on ya for putting your findings up on here, I'm sure your info will be a good reference for other SAUers!

Cheers mate!

Now post vids!

no match for a K03 :D , very nice thread ill be reading this tonight, chris buy a holset and lets get one for mine too,

Edited by sourkraut

Sounds like you are really enjoying it man! I hope with that big old 3.0L you might evetually give an HX40 a shot, but it's going to be tough to fit that big sucker down there :down:

About the install, keep in mind that your installed price with you doing to the work is $1500, plus the turbo. A GT35r or something like it is going to have to have all the same stuff done to install it, it's just going to cost $1500 to start out with, then start adding in things for the install. GT35r is a good turbo though.

Now let see some vids and dyno sheets! It'll motivate me to get mine up!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a bit of an update as its been while,

the turbo has now done 1000 k's and feels great! I am having a bit of an issue with boost creep and it looks like I am going to have to redesign the dump and bore the internal gate as a minimum. I really dont want to go the the cost/trouble of replacing the manifold and an external gate. it would give awsome results but i want to keep the car looking stock and would prefer not to spend almost $1500 on a propper gate and manifold.

you can buy a cheapass $250 manifold and nasty $100 gate but i dont roll that way. oem parts are far better quality and more reliable.

boost is steady in 1st 2nd and it creeps up hills in 3rd and is now spiking badly in 4th. this is running 17psi. the turbo delivers WAY more than the 3 litre can swallow and the little gate cant handle it. my dump design i admit is woeful. the gate gasses slam right into a wall and then have to turn 90deg and merge with the turbine gasses in a 3" pipe. I am going to rectify this before i pt it on the dyno for a final tune so it will take a while. I hope this is enough to fix the issue, otherwise its turbo off and pull down again to bore out the gate and add a much bigger flapper.

I am still massively impressed with this turbos performance and dont think you will get a better performing turbo for less than 2g.

Rather than just tell everyone how easy it is I prefer to tell it how it is so others having a go know what to look out for.

it WILL be an unbeatable combo once sorted I am sure of that, jsut not yet :D

Cheers!

another update,

after talking to a lot of people i have decided that there is no other way out of it other than an external gate. 44mm tial is on its way and the standard manifold will be modded to take an external gate at the collector.

i am going to buy another manifold and have some steampipe welded onto it for the gate. I am sure the standard manifold will be fine for the power level i want and if i ever want more power i can get one made.