SAU Community

Lsd For A31 Cefiro

Rhin0

Hi all, I've got an A31 cef with a few toys as my daily drive, it has a 2 way LSD in it but want to replace it with a stock LSD for more user friendly driving. What will go in?

Any diff from an R32 or S13 will fit in your cefiro. But, there are a few different options.

There are 2 sizes of diffs the R180 and R200 (the diameters of the crownwheel).

R180s are smaller and obviously not as strong as R200. Also I don't think you can get an LSD R180 (unless it is aftermarket), so you want an R200.

The R200 comes in both viscous LSD and open wheel type. The LSDs have a sticker on them, but it's probably fallen off by now. The otherway to tell between an open diff and an LSD is that the output shafts will spin in opposite directions when you turn the input shaft of an open diff.

R200 also has 2 types of output shafts, either 5 bolt pattern or 6 bolt pattern.

You will need to check the bolt pattern of the output shafts on your cefiro and find a diff with the same bolt pattern to match, otherwise you'll have to swap your driveshafts as well.

As far as I know, all S13s use 6bolt output shafts, R32 use 5bolt output shafts, and LSDs were factory standard on turbo models.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
So basically an s13 200sx Lsd will do the job?

That's a 180sx to the Aussies :thumbsup:

I'd suggest you pop over to the for sale section on sxoc you'll probably find someone selling an S13 LSD there.

That's a 180sx to the Aussies :)

I'd suggest you pop over to the for sale section on sxoc you'll probably find someone selling an S13 LSD there.

Hahah... no! S13 is a silvia... same running gear as the 180SX but it is still different car (body wise)

Like the 240SX is the 180SX for america

But like daisu said "same chassis/drivetrain. 180SX/200SX/240SX/silvia/s13

Hahah... no! S13 is a silvia... same running gear as the 180SX but it is still different car (body wise)

Like the 240SX is the 180SX for america

One's a PS13 and the other's an RPS13 I thought.

In any case he was refering to the UK 200SX up until mid-1994 was simply a 180SX only with a CA18DET rather than an SR20DET. They then switched to the S14 Silvia with the SR20DET but still sold it at the 200SX.

Here's a picture of my GF's old 200SX for clarification

car3.jpg

Unfortunately none of the S13 models were delivered to australia, all of ours are imported JDM models so we name them as such.

180sx is the hatch with the popup headlights, and the silvia is the coupe with fixed headlights.

As for the PS13/RPS13, the P denotes SR20 powered, and the R denotes the 180sx liftback shape (pictured above).

Aha, so you'd call the 180SX an RS13 wheras since the UK never got the S13 Silvia we just call it an S13 anyway, and if someone has imported a Silvia, it's an "S13 Silvia"

In any case both cars have the same diffs, and the OP is looking for an S13 LSD :P

On a related note I'm still trying to figure out all the A31 chassis codes. So far I've got:

L = Facelift

N = 4WD (with R32 suspension rather than S13)

E = RB25DE??

Pre-1990 only:

R = DOHC engine??

C = ??

H = ??

GFE = ??

GAEP = ??

GFS = Turbo??

• 2 months later...

How do I tell the difference between a R32 R180 and R200 LSD ???

I need one to replace my damged diff in my cefiro A31. It already has an R32 rear end though. The car was purchased with this and other upgrades.

I was told that the R33 and 300zx Twin Turbo R230 LSD cannot work.

Anyone with any advice ????

R180 diffs have collars that bolt onto the outside of the housing around the halfshafts.

Use an R200 out of S13/180sx/R32/C33/A31. Just make sure that the new diff has the same number of bolts where the driveshafts and halfshafts meet. (6bolt or 5bolt)

Edited by daisu

• 9 years later...
On 5/27/2009 at 6:32 PM, daisu said:

Any diff from an R32 or S13 will fit in your cefiro. But, there are a few different options.

There are 2 sizes of diffs the R180 and R200 (the diameters of the crownwheel).

R180s are smaller and obviously not as strong as R200. Also I don't think you can get an LSD R180 (unless it is aftermarket), so you want an R200.

The R200 comes in both viscous LSD and open wheel type. The LSDs have a sticker on them, but it's probably fallen off by now. The otherway to tell between an open diff and an LSD is that the output shafts will spin in opposite directions when you turn the input shaft of an open diff.

R200 also has 2 types of output shafts, either 5 bolt pattern or 6 bolt pattern.

You will need to check the bolt pattern of the output shafts on your cefiro and find a diff with the same bolt pattern to match, otherwise you'll have to swap your driveshafts as well.

As far as I know, all S13s use 6bolt output shafts, R32 use 5bolt output shafts, and LSDs were factory standard on turbo models.

Hi there! I have recently bought a Nissan Altima 1991 and confused about whether it already has an LSD diff or not? Is it a clutch LSD or not? If it is not an LSD how can I convert it to LSD without replacing the diff? Welding would work or not? Bcoz it is nearly impossible to find such diffs in my city. Need help please.