SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

So...... My car has evolved into something that I definitely don't want to drive on the road anymore, so I need to look for a tow car.

There are some very good deals on 2001-2002 VX Clubsport R8s are the moment, with most people asking around the $17-18k mark.

I know that there are quite a few people on here that tow using Holden or Ford V8s, and I wanted to get your opinions on them.

Are they suitable to tow a 500kg trailer and 1500kg worth of car and accessories? That's 2000kgs being towed by a 1700-1800kg car. Not ideal, right?

pic3.jpg

OR......... do I forgo the "semi-cool" tow car, and opt for something of similar coin, in a 2001-2002 WG Jeep Grand Cherokee?

4.7L V8... Nice amount of torque... 3500kg towing capacity!!!

6512129_WG2.jpg

OR......... do I forgo the "semi-cool" tow car, and opt for something of similar coin, in a 2001-2002 WG Jeep Grand Cherokee?

4.7L V8... Nice amount of torque... 3500kg towing capacity!!!

http://www.carsales.com.au/Tig/UI/PagePopu...mp;tabID=304744

I have a black fully optioned V8 2000 Grand Cherokee up for grabs Merli. All leather interior...Tows like a dream. $12K and its yours

I have a black fully optioned V8 2000 Grand Cherokee up for grabs Merli. All leather interior...Tows like a dream. $12K and its yours

Link to ad? :/

How many kms?

Email me lots and lots and lots of pics. You know how anal I am... The more detail in the pics the better :)

blackberry aaaaaat andrewho dawt com

Link to ad? :/

How many kms?

Email me lots and lots and lots of pics. You know how anal I am... The more detail in the pics the better :)

blackberry aaaaaat andrewho dawt com

its immaculate...been very well cared for and maintained.

its got a few klms on it hence the price (170K)

Where will you put spare wheels/tyres, jack, seats, tools, lunch in a VX R8? Sure you could put all of that in your circuit car but then you have to load/unload it everytime you take the car off the trailer. If you absolutely had to get a FalcoDore v8 atleast get a stationwagon.

I personally would be looking at something like a 2005+ Toyota Hilux (GGN15R), V6 4.0L with 176kw and 343nm and can be picked up from $13k depending on how many km's (anything under 200,000km will be perfectly fine). Plenty of room in the back tray to put all your bits and enough power to get you to Bathurst and Wakefield.

I towed my 550kg trailer + 550kg car to Wakefield with my 80kw Toyota Hiace which has 342,000km on the clock and it didn't miss a beat although didn't like some of the hills heading down the Hume Hwy. Having 250kg of tools in the back (I practically loaded everything I owned into it) settled the light back end down. Heading back to Sydney it was totally fine because it's more downhill, although if I was going to Bathurst i'd be using my work truck because the van wouldn't get me up the Blue Mountains.

I'm gonna try upgrade that in the next few months to a 4L v6 Hilux which for me will be perfect for towing.

Lets just say, that if I had the budget, the cars of choice would be:

Porsche Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S

VW Toureg V10

Toyota Prado Turbo Diesel

........... but I'll be driving this car about once or twice a month on average, so I'm not about to spend any meaningful amount of funny money on it.

The Hilux is a good option. I'll have a quick look around.

I had a look at Patrols, but they were all very expensive compared to what you get for half the price in a Jeep Grand Chickadee...

When not towing the trailer where the hell are you gonna park a 4wd and how practical will it be for day to day life? Or are you gonna park this tow vehicle in the shed with the trailer and gtr?

I'll be leaning on my lovely grandmother who lives on a great big, bloody massive property, to provide shelter for my toys :D

Okay bitches, I'll look again at the Patrol option :rofl:

6 acres with a big barn shed here merli if you need to leave your toy somewhere :rofl:

2000 Grand Cherokee: 1837kg, 4.7L, V8, 162kw, 390nm, petrol.

2002 Grand Cherokee: 1776kg, 4L, I6, 140kw, 295nm, petrol.

2003 Nissan Patrol: 2440kg, 4.1L, I6, 114kw, 360nm, turbo diesel.

2005 Toyota Hilux Ute: 1490kg, 4L, V6, 175kw, 343nm, petrol.

Lighter, newer, more power, more storage, most reliable. I know which i'd have at the top of my list :D

Based on those stats, how could the TD Patrol be a better a tow car than the Jeep (or Hilux)?

HEAPS less power and torque than the Jeep, and 600kgs heavier!?!?!?!

6 acres with a big barn shed here merli if you need to leave your toy somewhere :rofl:

Whereabouts do you live these days? Not still swimming with the skanks in Penriff are you? :D

WJ Grang Cherokee V8 is your friend. They're a good thing. For 12k you should be able to find an "Overland" spec, which has the high output V8 and all the other fruit. I've had two of them, wouldn't hesitate in another one and they're great value.

will shit over any of the other vehicles listed towing-wise too :rofl: