SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

well I've towed with a fair few over the years.

a decent new-ish toyota landcruiser is pretty sweet. and you can get some optioned up like a rolling lounge room. plus they fit heaps inside.

we've been using a Nissan Navara ST-R turbo Diesel for a few years. it's good. has 4 doors, has a big tray in the back and tows GTRs, GT3s etc with ease. plus it's a nissan so that's kind of cool, and we got a chip for the ecu and a boost controller and now it does chirpies which is awesome, and drinks heaps of fuel which is not. it'll tow and good speed though which is nice.

having said all that the 2001 clubbie R8 does appeal to me too, but your tow car will probably break more than the race car if you get one. I guess you can fit a tow bar to the GTR. cause every second track day you'd have to put the holden on the trailer and tow it home with the GTR... kekekeke.

the jeeps do not appeal to me at all. yankee rubbish. :rofl:

the 'cruiser is probably the best, most reliable option but probably the most $$$ too.

patrol is good too, but if you buy the same type of car as fatz you risk being labelled as a massive shirt lifter.

Personal opinion I guess :rofl: FYI, the Grand Cherokee's Oz gets are Austrian built and are very different from the US domestic versions :D

You won't buy a decent 'Cruiser for under 20k .....

something like this, only older and cheaper. plenty of room for stuff like jacks, tyres etc in the tray, and the expensive tools fit safely inside cab. they are a nice little truck. and you can get a white one to match the GTR... noice.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/demo/d...id=11EBBF8BEB96

this is getting to be more like it:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer...id=11EBBF8BEB96

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer...id=11EBBF8BEB96

Personal opinion I guess :rofl: FYI, the Grand Cherokee's Oz gets are Austrian built and are very different from the US domestic versions :D

You won't buy a decent 'Cruiser for under 20k .....

you are right about the cruiser. they are not cheap.

I must admit I haven't been in a cherokee for a few years but the ones I have been in and drove I hated. but it's possible I'm way off on the current crop.

Wow... this thread exploded :) Didn't know people were so passionate about their tow cars! :D

Is someone able to explain to me how that TD Patrol, with significantly less power and torque than the Jeep, and an extra 600kgs can be a better tow car?

Sorry BB, I'm just not a fan of the Navara... Too "utility" for me... I'm more of a "soccer mum" type of person :P:rofl:

you are right about the cruiser. they are not cheap.

I must admit I haven't been in a cherokee for a few years but the ones I have been in and drove I hated. but it's possible I'm way off on the current crop.

Yeah I'm not saying this particular generation Jeep is the best thing out there, but they are exceptional value, go very nicely, and are quite reliable. Plus a legal limit of 3500kg is ample. The comfort and power cannot be compared to a D22 Navara, and who would you hate enough to put in the back of a dual cab Navara? lol

4.2l Patrol's are great reliable things (3.0 is not), still drive like a truck, the 3.0l is pus, the 4.2 better but still not a rocket.

Personally I wouldn't use an R8 for towing anything heavy.

Haha I think that's a bit unfair Baron my man! Some HSV's are duds, and some are good but it can just be a bit of a 'luck of the draw' type situation. My Clubbie has been perfectly reliable, with a seat rail replacement (done twice due to the dealer being a shifty fark), replaced steering rack boots (design fault) and a cracked radiator in 70,000km's for me *knock on wood*, and then just the usual maintenance. Though having said that, I've seen some real Friday builds around with endless issues (engines, diffs etc)...

As I said to Andrew though, the auto would be a slightly better tow option as reversing is a bit of a bitch, but I'm new to trailers so I'm sure it will improve in time. And the auto's are rated higher at 2100kg's, but would require a tranny cooler.

Merli, in all seriousness if you are looking for something built specially for towing, my boss is selling his ford transit van. It has had a VT V6 conversion. Has kitchenette, toilet, shower and bunk bed. He used it for towing horse float so 2000kg is not a problem. also good for those overnighters. let me know if your interested and ill organise some pics.

I'll be leaning on my lovely grandmother who lives on a great big, bloody massive property, to provide shelter for my toys :D

Okay bitches, I'll look again at the Patrol option :rofl:

Wow... this thread exploded :) Didn't know people were so passionate about their tow cars! :D

Is someone able to explain to me how that TD Patrol, with significantly less power and torque than the Jeep, and an extra 600kgs can be a better tow car?

Sorry BB, I'm just not a fan of the Navara... Too "utility" for me... I'm more of a "soccer mum" type of person :P:rofl:

It's not. :)

I have a 2004 model VZ Commadore with a 2100kg Holden tow kit which replaces the rear struts with a gas tpe that can be pumped up to raise the rear of the car as well as a higher rated tow ball capacity.

I get very good fuel enconmy when towing my car around 13ltrs/100klm and can tow at speeds of 120+klm/h if needed but usually sit at the speed limit.

Going to the track i take my full tool kit, jack, spare oils, ratchet gear, spare parts, stands and luggage in the boot (sometimes some of the luggage is on the back seat).

Trailer is over 500kg (says 500kg on the plate but i know it is over it) and car around 1200kg.

Only issue i have is with the trailer being too low (put 100ml drop axles on it) and it can scrape going up driveways and the likes. This might be a good option perhaps?

Key is the tow kit and electirc brakes,

Matt

you know it is ilegal to tow load heavier than tow car let alone dangerous, guess thats why it is ilegal.

I have a 2004 model VZ Commadore with a 2100kg Holden tow kit which replaces the rear struts with a gas tpe that can be pumped up to raise the rear of the car as well as a higher rated tow ball capacity.

I get very good fuel enconmy when towing my car around 13ltrs/100klm and can tow at speeds of 120+klm/h if needed but usually sit at the speed limit.

Going to the track i take my full tool kit, jack, spare oils, ratchet gear, spare parts, stands and luggage in the boot (sometimes some of the luggage is on the back seat).

Trailer is over 500kg (says 500kg on the plate but i know it is over it) and car around 1200kg.

Only issue i have is with the trailer being too low (put 100ml drop axles on it) and it can scrape going up driveways and the likes. This might be a good option perhaps?

Key is the tow kit and electirc brakes,

Matt

+1 for patrol, i have a 99 GU series 1 TI petrol, tows my 1200kg trailer, my 33 whale with the car packed to the roof with no dramas. Petrol bill isnt great but its piece of mind with the missus driving it as a daily, not so much piece of mind for anyone else on the road though :D

This is fantastic, im currently looking for a tow car as well and was leaning to the 2000-02 jeep GC.

now im sold

i think with the TD patrol, max torque at 2000rpm is what makes it a winner. great for pulling and better fuel economy

thats exactly right the power is made down low plus its commonsense that diesel is far better for towing then petrol. I mean petrol will always have more power and quicker but diesels torque down low and its economy is awesome. I had the old TD42 non turbo and that could tow 2ton fairly easily, and patrols are easier for aftermarket parts if anything ever goes wrong. and if not a patrol then second best would be the landcruiser but just depends how much u really want to spend :D

From what I've learnt there are some basic rules:-

4wd's are by far the best and I'm mean real 4wd's not Stagea's.

Dual cabs are crap as theres no room for storage and are easily broken into.

IRS sedans and wagons are absolute crap to tow with.

We tow with a EF falcon wagon,,,it's been great so far. Not the coolest thing in the world but it gets the job done. We fitted heavy duty gas shocks and air jackers to level out the combo.

Our next towy will be a BA wagon when this ones past it's use by date.

Neil.

Try buying spares for a toyota land cruiser thing expensive as

buy jeep parts straight from the states and laugh at the toyota drivers

Like other have said they are dirt cheap with all the fruit too

leather v8 and an american aftermarket second to none

you can by an amazing amount a stuff for em aftermarket and all way cheaper than toyota patrol etc etc

remember the patrol is built to compete with a landcruiser

it doesnt have to be good to be a whole lot better

From what I've learnt there are some basic rules:-

4wd's are by far the best and I'm mean real 4wd's not Stagea's.

Dual cabs are crap as theres no room for storage and are easily broken into.

IRS sedans and wagons are absolute crap to tow with.

Neil.

listen to this man! If you are buying something particularly for towing, get a 4WD. You wil not realise how crap a sedan/wagon is until you have towed with a 4WD. Petrol if you have deep pockets and emptying them at servos. Dual fuel helps the $$/km ratio back to diesel type figures but have useless range when towing. Turbo diesel is the go for the low down grunt and economy. My diesel Patrol get the same l/100km towing as my previous petrol Patrol did just driving around by itself! Whatever you get, DO NOT buy a ZD30 (3ltr TD) Patrol. They are still blowing up. Even the new ones and the ones fixed under warranty. Nissan are no longer accepting any responsibility for them either, so you're on your own. Outerlimits and Patrol4x4 forums if you want more info. The TD42 is the go, proper old school truck engine with over 10l sump and 2 oil filters. They'll still be going after a nuclear holocaust. TDs outperform their kW & Nm numbers towing on the highway. Don't overlook Pajero TDs either.