SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

Seriously you should be looking for something that has a real 3500kg towing capacity. 

The really important thing is to make very sure that the tow vehicle is the one dictating what is happening, not the other way around. 

Very few towers weigh their stuff, me included, as we think we are fine. But in the not to distant future the road authorities and the police will be doing road side weighing and that could be a real problem for some of us. I know the Vics have been trialing it with some scary results.

Cheers

Neil.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, boxheadmr said:

,, the tow vehicle Interesting article about the Commadore and Falcon as tow cars.

https://www.motoring.com.au/the-last-great-aussie-tow-tug-109555/

Wow Philip needs a good slap around the head, what a dickhead.

As I said above,,, the towing vehicle is the one that has to be in control,,, cross winds and trucks make for un-controlled lane changing in a sedan or wagon. Been there,,, never again.

Great to hear Fatz, the Patrol is also doing great.

• 2 weeks later...

Recent Z club from Qld to Bathurst expedition produced a variety of tow bitches, couple of Land Rover diesels, Audi Q5 V6 diesel, Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel plus my Cherokee oiler, Jeep petrol V8. Ford Ranger diesel. and a few others. General consensus was that the modern type SUV  is much more suitable than old 4X4 technology for comfort and lap time with good economy., even for the petrol V8.

Edited by 260DET

• 1 month later...

Got to be careful what I say here but 'someone I've heard about' tows with an Audi Q5 Sport V6 diesel, at speeds acceptable on one of them autobarns. Well why not have some fun on the road when interstating, they are a disgrace safety wise anyway.

On 04/01/2018 at 4:01 AM, aleks said:

Cherokee Trackhawk is being sold here in Australia this year. Cherokee with a hellcat engine, 0-100km/hr in 3.7 seconds

Go the Yeep :)

I work for a Jeep dealer (for another week anyway) and I must say the Grand Cherokee diesel is one of the best towing vehicles around for $60K on road.  Now that they come with 5 years warranty it definitely gives a little more confidence to own one.  Like most imported cars they're pretty pricey to own outside of warranty.  They get the worst rap (undeservedly mostly) of any vehicle I've ever dealt with.  They really are a bloody good car.  (I'll still say that next week once I've left!)

Any of the big cars with V6 diesel (Jeep, Audi Q7, Touareg, Benz GLE, etc) will smash anything else when it comes to all round towing ability, handling and fuel consumption.  V8 diesel Toyotas are overated.  Good if you don't mind 25l/100kms fuel consumption.

Everyone has a budget and a preference so many may disagree!

I work for a Jeep dealer (for another week anyway) and I must say the Grand Cherokee diesel is one of the best towing vehicles around for $60K on road.  Now that they come with 5 years warranty it definitely gives a little more confidence to own one.  Like most imported cars they're pretty pricey to own outside of warranty.  They get the worst rap (undeservedly mostly) of any vehicle I've ever dealt with.  They really are a bloody good car.  (I'll still say that next week once I've left!)
Any of the big cars with V6 diesel (Jeep, Audi Q7, Touareg, Benz GLE, etc) will smash anything else when it comes to all round towing ability, handling and fuel consumption.  V8 diesel Toyotas are overated.  Good if you don't mind 25l/100kms fuel consumption.
Everyone has a budget and a preference so many may disagree!
Sutton's Waitara?

22 hours ago, fatz said:

Q5 only rated to 2.5 t eg a waste of time

Most of us tow race cars not buses :)  Fat car 1,500 + trailer 500 = 2,000kg. Actually my Z is around 1,200kg and that's a bit on the heavy side. I do travel light, no spare set of tyres etc, if you want to get that pro get a truck.

Most of us tow race cars not buses [emoji4]  Fat car 1,500 + trailer 500 = 2,000kg. Actually my Z is around 1,200kg and that's a bit on the heavy side. I do travel light, no spare set of tyres etc, if you want to get that pro get a truck.
Boats would be more accurate..