SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

It saves weight if you don't carry beer with you, buy it at the destination. My point is a modern medium/large suv makes a great tow bitch, way better dynamics, fuel economy and comfort compared with most ladder frame 4x4's. Particularly something with a V6 turbo diesel, struggling for power is a pain on a long trip..

Lol, what's this new trailer called, B Double?

Solar powered fridge is good, the lift pump battery on my trailer is charged by solar power which saves a lot of stuffing around on a trip.

Edited by 260DET

• 5 months later...

I'm a towing newb. 

Our 'big car' is a Mazda CX7. Be kind. Would you tow a car behind it? 

That said, I think its only rated to 1700kg's braked, which doesn't leave much for a car considering the weight of the trailer. :(

Not a great choice in my opinion mate. Even towing the R33 with my pretty heavy Ranger Ute I can feel it moving me around a bit on the road. A light little SUV like a CX7 would be dangerous in my opinion. A good gust of wind and you’ll be on the other side of the road!

The average car weighs around 1400-1500kgs so you’re right, it doesn’t leave much room for the weight of the trailer if the total is 1700kgs!

I'd do it one-off for slow and shorter trip, but not regularly. For a start most car trailers are 500-800kg so that means the car you are towing is limited to 900kg. And even then when you tow right up to the load limit you often learn that while the chassis can take the load, the engine won;t deliver the performance to tow it safely (hello creeping up hills on the freeway)

1 hour ago, fatz said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Audi-Q7-2010/SSE-AD-5495660

tgat will tow your shit to the moon and back

Believe it or not, but a 90kw short wheel base Defender has the same capacity!

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Land-Rover-Defender-2015/OAG-AD-15791491/?gts=OAG-AD-15791491&gtssaleid=OAG-AD-15791491&rankingType=TopSpot

On 6/15/2018 at 10:40 AM, fatz said:

True

if your under 5’8 go defender

if you any taller you won’t fit

Or if you enjoy punching the underside of the dash with your knuckles ever time you put the handbrake down.