SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

I had the heavy duty tow pack on mine as well, but I still had tyre wear issues when towing. I also used a load balancing system with the car.

The Falcons are popular due to having good low end torque, and a live rear axle mounted with leaf springs, so they do not have to toe/camber change issues that IRS cars tend to have.

I didn't go with the leveling system and havent had an issue with tyre wear, completed a fair few klms towing since owning the trailer.

Matt

Not sure if it's been mentioned but what about the old 4Runner's?

My old mans one has been going since he bought it new in 95 with nothing but tyres, pads, and fluid changes. He goes hunting regularly, always tow's behind it and it never misses a beat!

Not as powerful as the bigger boys of course, but it's been a very very reliable car. I'm trying to get him to update, but the only thing that interests him are the diesel Hilux, everything else he reckons is too soft looking :-)

they can only tow 1500kgs :-(

Reading this thread I lose any hope of the tow car and daily being the same car :laugh: Where do you guys store all these cars? Assuming two dailies (you + missus), track car, trailer, tow car.... :thumbsup:

well....that's exactly why I tow with the stagea. It has one huge problem as a tow car, and that is it guzzles fuel when it is loaded up. But since I only tow 1-2 a month and generally not further than goulburn (200klm) I just live with it.

On the other hand its a great everyday car that does heaps of other stuff as well (can lug pretty much anything around, quick, comfortable, easy and cheap to mod) so its a double use car instead of just another car cluttering up the yard and costing money.

I don't see why I should have to live with some POS from a bankrupt american truck maker when I can drive one of nissan's best cars instead.

Yea thats all well and good,,,but lets get our head around making a Stagea a good tow car. Don't get me wrong I love the Nissan product but the

POS from a bankrupt american truck maker is always going to do a better job.

I'll wait for ya mate at the rest areas.

ROFLMAO x 10

Neil.

haha no probs we will just add a long range tank on the trailer :thumbsup:

it tows fine the only mods needed were bigger springs and shocks in the rear. the rest I've done is not to make it tow better, in fact some like the manual conversion have not helped at all. also the stag has a lovely 4wd system including centre diff lock so it is more capable than 90% of "real" 4wds these days.

Spotted Duncy Dinosaur driving a girl's car today, whilst I was out looking at Jeep GCs :(

Seriously though... Is it a pre-requisite to be a complete and utter douchebag to be a used-car salesman?

Some very simple, basic, introductory sales seminars would help them make a LOT more sales.

Even their mannerisms are all the same, and just scream out "I'm a slimeball, I'm lying to your face and doing a terrible job of hiding it, and I'll say or do anything to get you to sign today"..

I am in the market for a 4wd to replace my daily car as well.

I want a diesel 4wd that can tow and is fuel efficient without the boring feel of a boat on wheels.

Obviously with that criteria it's difficult but I've narrowed down to 3 cars; the VW V6 TDI "tow rag", Audi Q5 and Navara D22 4x4. I think it will come down to which will give me the most for my trade in. I know that my accountant will suggest the Navara but I am hoping it will be the Q5 :)

I intend to drive it daily and will probably never take it off road.

What do you guys think of these? Is there anything I should look out for with these options?

I want a diesel 4wd that can tow and is fuel efficient without the boring feel of a boat on wheels.

Obviously with that criteria it's difficult but I've narrowed down to 3 cars; the VW V6 TDI "tow rag", Audi Q5 and Navara D22 4x4. I think it will come down to which will give me the most for my trade in. I know that my accountant will suggest the Navara but I am hoping it will be the Q5 >_<

What do you guys think of these? Is there anything I should look out for with these options?

I have driven a Q7, and those things are fantastic cars...

But if the Q5 is anything like the sh1tty X3 was to the awesome X5, stay away :)

Yeah, a second mortgage.

Yeah so true. He suggested to buy more shares and probably think I am mad with the amount of money I've spent on vehicles but we all work hard and only live 1x >_<

I have driven a Q7, and those things are fantastic cars...

But if the Q5 is anything like the sh1tty X3 was to the awesome X5, stay away :)

The Q5 has the same engine as the Q7 and V6 TDI Tourag.

It has a dual wet clutches DSG 7 speed similar to the r35 gtr and is lighter so it's quicker and more fuel efficient that the other 2. The downside with the gearbox is its towing capacity is reduced to 2.5 tones. This is plenty for my need.

I took the Q5 for a test drive last weekend and it's not too bad. It's hopeless in manual with the diesel engine and 7 speed. You have to shift gears like crazy to keep it in the power band. The car handling is ok but demo car had the electronic dampener and 19" rims.

I just don't know how well it tow though.

Edited by 9krpm

If you want something cheap/reliable that tows like a V8 with V6 fuel economy you can't go past the ford falcon EF to EL models. Those things are build for towing with approximately 360NM of torque.

Obviously with that criteria it's difficult but I've narrowed down to 3 cars; the VW V6 TDI "tow rag", Audi Q5 and Navara D22 4x4. I think it will come down to which will give me the most for my trade in. I know that my accountant will suggest the Navara but I am hoping it will be the Q5 >_<

Very timely :)

Giant and I just returned from towing the R35 to Townsville and return from Brisbane in a V6 diesel Toureg. One word, superb. we averaged around 16l/100klm with the big 35 and a heavy trailer, and not once did it come off cruise regardless of the incline. Very comfortable place to spend 26 hours.

A D22?.... steer clear. a D40 is better, much better, but not in the same league as a Toureg. Q5? Too much of a fairy imo.

Q5? Too much of a fairy imo.

Thanks for the feedback Marlin. Could you elaborate on the " fairyness" mate?

I went to VW on the weekend as well. The gearbox in the Tourag gave me a feeling like it has more torque and is good for towing.

No sweat mate >_<

I'm only guessing on the Q5... but to me, the gearbox isn't really suitable, and at the end of the day, it's a "compact SUV", so is likely a bit out of it's depth body structure wise to handle towing a 2 tonne load. It's effectively an A4 lifted up..... so can't really be compared to a heavier 4WD like a Toureg.

There's great deals to be had on Touregs now, so I'd grab one up.

I just can't fault the Toureg, with the exception of disliking the blue backlight on some displays, as I found them hard to read at a glance. We literally didn't know the R35 was behind us.

Edited by Marlin

Thanks again mate.

Yes I think you are right. The Q5 is just a SUV that has enough grunt to tow. Which is perfect for me since I intend to use it every day and probably tow a max of 10x per year. The Toureg is nice but is a bit big for daily a daily drive (for me). I also like the Q5 interior.

Hmm still undecided at this stage.

What good deal is there atm Marlin?

Definitely avoid the D22 if you want to avoid the feeling of driving a boat, they are lousy cars to drive daily (oversteer at the drop of a hat, usually with understeer at the same time) They also are rated as light commercial vehicle when it comes to things like the tollways and rego.

• 7 months later...