SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

47 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Look around and you'll see more and more diesel engines being phased out of commuter vehicles, including the big yank tanks in the states. 

Direct injection petrol will replace them, I'd prefer no direct injection either, but it's a lesser evil than DPFs, EGRs, insanely high pressure expensive fuel pumps, mandatory second fuel filters/water traps, etc etc. 

Wrong. 

Full electric cars will replace them, not petrol.  ICE (internal combustion engine) are near on done.  There will be minimal investment on diesel/petrol engines within the next few years.  Whether we like it or not electric cars are the future.  There are going to be massive issues/challenges to start with but by 2030 it will be incredibly hard (impossible?) to buy an ICE vehicle.

I've never driven a Tesla but the Jaguar I-Pace I've driven was awesome!  Incredibly acceleration and handling.  The obvious issues are (seeing this is a towing thread!) will be towing range.  I'm sure they'll be all over that by 2030 but lots of work to be done.

For all of the great things that full electric cars bring it just won't be the same.....  Cue nostalgic music!

On 14/08/2020 at 4:39 PM, ActionDan said:

The Jeep is actually a cracking drive, but feels like it's built to last 3yrs from new tops lol

A friend of mine has a petrol Cherokee now up to 130,000 k and absolutely no problems at all.

On 17/08/2020 at 10:56 AM, Shoota_77 said:

Wrong. 

Full electric cars will replace them, not petrol.  ICE (internal combustion engine) are near on done.  There will be minimal investment on diesel/petrol engines within the next few years.  Whether we like it or not electric cars are the future.  There are going to be massive issues/challenges to start with but by 2030 it will be incredibly hard (impossible?) to buy an ICE vehicle.

I've never driven a Tesla but the Jaguar I-Pace I've driven was awesome!  Incredibly acceleration and handling.  The obvious issues are (seeing this is a towing thread!) will be towing range.  I'm sure they'll be all over that by 2030 but lots of work to be done.

For all of the great things that full electric cars bring it just won't be the same.....  Cue nostalgic music!

The future is the future, right now electrics don't have anywhere the range to do a full day's towing. Bigger batteries are no where near the answer, it will require another revolution in electric storage to get there. Meanwhile good ole petrol does the job.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm back. No one missed me.

We went looking for something to use as a tow vehicle and general family wagon, and ended up with a Q7. I really, really wanted to like a Prado but after test driving them back to back there was only one choice my wife could live with (she has a chronic back injury). The Prado (a year newer than the Q7) was like being back in our old VS Commodore by comparison. My 13yo son is also over 6ft tall and hitting another growth spurt, and the Q7 was the first car we've found he can sit in the back of for 800km+ a day and not feel crippled when he gets out.

Battlewagon.thumb.jpg.16b52145be056ae13e8ff83b6d98f962.jpg

Naturally we got a 3 year warranty with it.

Somewhat not-surprisingly the boot space with the third row seats down is much the same depth and height as our PNM35 Stagea, and only 100mm wider. I've always thought M35s were a hidden gem of the automotive world, if they could tow 3,000kg+ and had more rear legroom we'd probably just keep buying them until they couldn't be found any more.

Oh, this also replaced our Leaf, which also couldn't tow 3,000kg+. We're holding out for decent EV tow wagons to show up but all the manufacturers are taking their sweet time in releasing them.

Edited by Hertz Donut

On 21/08/2020 at 5:20 PM, 260DET said:

A friend of mine has a petrol Cherokee now up to 130,000 k and absolutely no problems at all.

I sold my grand cherokee diesel (which was a cracking tug) for no good reason and bought a santa fe and wow do I regret it. Creaks like an old pirate ship and the 4 cylinder offers barely any economy advantage over the GC 6, perhaps 1-2 liters/100 but only on long distance drives, makes an unpleasant noise, is gutless on any hill and has throttle lag like you would not believe.

Drive in the country and see the next most popular tow car for caravans after a prado is a GC. 

• Like 1

Not really a tow car but have been steering this beast (RSQ8, fastest production SUV around Nurburgring) for the last week. Unfortunately have to give it back to Audi next week. 😥😥

What a car! 441kW of Quattro goodness!  Its not just how fast it us that impresses me, its just an amazingly nice car to drive as a normal car. Absolute heaven on wheels! When R33 GTRs are worth $280K I might trade up....

20201021_131340.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phelbas said:

I sold my grand cherokee diesel (which was a cracking tug) for no good reason and bought a santa fe and wow do I regret it. Creaks like an old pirate ship and the 4 cylinder offers barely any economy advantage over the GC 6, perhaps 1-2 liters/100 but only on long distance drives, makes an unpleasant noise, is gutless on any hill and has throttle lag like you would not believe.

Drive in the country and see the next most popular tow car for caravans after a prado is a GC. 

What do you tow? Can't see the Santa Fe being able to pull the skin off soup.