SAU Community

Nitto Oil Pump (rb26dett)

Hi all,

First post from newbie to this forum...

Names Phil from Belfast in Northern Ireland i own a R33 GTR V-Spec

Been lurking around SAU for a while doing a few searches etc...

Has anyone used one of the Nitto Oil pumps on an RB26 ? If so what are your opinions on them ??

Cheers

Phil

Half way between N1 and say a high end pump with a different design - Tomei

Being they are priced smack in the middle.

End of the day any pump can be destroyed, it all comes down to the treatment of it

Half way between N1 and say a high end pump with a different design - Tomei

Being they are priced smack in the middle.

End of the day any pump can be destroyed, it all comes down to the treatment of it

Cheers man much appreciated...Do you think it is worth shelling out the extra for a Tomei/Jun pump this is a road car with the odd drag/track use....Revlimit set to 8k, harmonic damper, balanced crank etc...

Not really. I wouldn't if it was me.

I'd go with a N1, they haven't failed me in the two motor's i've had, nor anyone else i know.

But like i said, its all about the treatment. Dont flog the limiter and so on or you can even shatter a Tomei item

Not really. I wouldn't if it was me.

I'd go with a N1, they haven't failed me in the two motor's i've had, nor anyone else i know.

But like i said, its all about the treatment. Dont flog the limiter and so on or you can even shatter a Tomei item

Thanks for the advice mate...

Personally I wouldn't use an N1, Jun or tomei.

Ive broken all 3 and have mnay many customers with broken Jun and N1 pumps.

Depends on your application for a roadie anything will be fine providing its balanced well.

The NITTO pumps you speak of are excellent. Ive tested them a few times in pretty high reving RB26's and never had one fail. Id rate them up there with the tomei/jun offering if not better from my experiance.

Id recommend you dont use one without some form of extended sump though.

On the engine dyno monitoring oil level we were able to empty a stock sump and fill the head even with restrictors and returns etc etc.

12 litres is about right from what we've found and those that sell them will also attest to it.

How can you put a Nitto above or even on the same level as a Tomei? Just because you are yet to break a Nitto or some other reason?

The Nitto still uses the stock gear setup which by design isnt the best.

The Tomei is a totally different design, the best of all the aftermarket options for RB's (without external).

But again, it all comes back to the treatment of them.

When circuit/rally/street/drag cars here in Vic can all run N1 pumps without creating mince meat of the gears because of sensible use, then that clearly shows those who are destroying stronger pumps are not being as forgiving/smart as the majority of people in this state.

Paul also in Twoogle ran a N1 without issue and all that did was 1/4 mile passes - again, comes back to the treatment of the pump and always will regardless of the brand

Depends on your application for a roadie anything will be fine providing its balanced well.

The NITTO pumps you speak of are excellent. Ive tested them a few times in pretty high reving RB26's and never had one fail. Id rate them up there with the tomei/jun offering if not better from my experiance.

On the engine dyno monitoring oil level we were able to empty a stock sump and fill the head even with restrictors and returns etc etc.

12 litres is about right from what we've found and those that sell them will also attest to it.

Did you englarge the Oil returns to 12mm or were they std size...

You gotta give it a year or two before anyone will have formed a factual opinion on these.

people can only speculate on them at the moment, but after a season or two they can see if its good/bad being punished for a period of time

At the end of the day its good that someone is still making parts for RBs (20 year old engine) but no one can tell you how they really perform

Mearly my oppinion based on my experiance Ash.

Im yet to see a Nitto pump fail and untill I do so for the money id keep recommending them above the tomei

There are loads of GTR's here that have no issues with oiling and I know of others that do. It all comes back to how they are treated.

He asked the question about the nitto pump and I gave him my honest opinion. When the nitto can be had for just over 1k its a bargain and up there with the best as far as im concerned.

The tomei pump despite being larger and a 3 peice gear set is still a gerotor type pump. Id not argue that they are probably the best however for the money I think they are overpriced and there is better options.

I use 12mm returns on everything even my dry sumped engines.

Edited by Risking

what were you on when you made this post?

.....But again, it all comes back to the treatment of them.......When circuit/rally/street/drag cars here in Vic can all run N1 pumps.....that clearly shows those who are destroying stronger pumps are not ...as ...smart as the majority of people in this state.

Are you really saying

a/ people outside vic kill oil pumps because they are dumb?

b/ engines are not failing in vic?

I thought those claims were mythbusted years ago. As soon as some of you guys had 12 months of track days on GTR motors they started failing and requiring rebuilds just like everyone else. And even now there are 0 GTRs in Vic doing any racing.

Paul also in Twoogle ran a N1 without issue and all that did was 1/4 mile passes

not true, in fact that oil pump failed killing the motor.

Anyway, bottom line is, any $2k+ oil pump is a total waste of money. If you are that worried and serious you should dry sump it for about $3-4k. If you are using wet sump the nitto pump is an excellent price/performance compromise.

One key feature Brad did not mention is they are serviceable unlike the standard pumps. If like me you rebuild motors regularly this runs to a very significant saving as the n1 oil pumps at 400+ each but should be chucked away after each motor.

Are you really saying

I thought those claims were mythbusted years ago. As soon as some of you guys had 12 months of track days on GTR motors they started failing and requiring rebuilds just like everyone else. And even now there are 0 GTRs in Vic doing any racing.

not true, in fact that oil pump failed killing the motor.

Anyway, bottom line is, any $2k+ oil pump is a total waste of money. If you are that worried and serious you should dry sump it for about $3-4k. If you are using wet sump the nitto pump is an excellent price/performance compromise.

One key feature Brad did not mention is they are serviceable unlike the standard pumps. If like me you rebuild motors regularly this runs to a very significant saving as the n1 oil pumps at 400+ each but should be chucked away after each motor.

due to the fact we had a oil pressure cut off, when the N1 oil pump failed the engine was fine...we could have simply replaced the oil pump and gone again.

I recommend Nitto pumps and id go along with Brads statement that they are as good as Tomei if not better.

due to the fact we had a oil pressure cut off, when the N1 oil pump failed the engine was fine...we could have simply replaced the oil pump and gone again.

I recommend Nitto pumps and id go along with Brads statement that they are as good as Tomei if not better.

Paul is your pressure switch hooked up to a relay that kills the fuel pump or ignition?

I've had one of the Nitto pumps installed in my rebuilt motor. Yet to run it up yet, but will soon have an idea on them myself. I also had a sump extension installed as well. I'm planning on taking my car to the track when it's ready. I'd read some good things about these pumps. I'm planning on taking my car to the track when it's ready.

To my knowledge the NITTO pump was derived from the GREDDY and JUN pumps.... im pretty sure it was a GREDDY one sent by CRD overeseas to be replicated, one of the reasons they were pulled from the distributors list. Same pump and cheaper cant be a bad thing really.

Copy NITTO pump

nitto_oil_pump_02_md.jpg

nitto_r...oil_pump_sm.gif

Original GREDDY / JUN (same pump)

post-34927-1243581334_thumb.jpg

Edited by URAS

Are you really saying

Im saying exactly what the post said :)

That is what we are talking about - oil pumps.

The motors that are failing here, are not failing due to smashed/killed pumps.

Keep on topic :D

Your comment about 0 GTR's doing racing is wrong BTW... how could Snowy win Targa rookie if he wasnt using it? Or Jorgensen who was also in Rookie...

Or PLENTY of other people out there going in circles still in our championship and at various other days outside of it (not everyone is a member afterall) ;)

I just think its too soon to say Nitto's are any 'better' than anything else.

As you could draw the above as a viable conclusion based on people's comments in this thread. And im just pointing out i dont neccesarily agree.

Perhaps the people that have busted the other pumps and now using Nitto are taking it a little easier? due to them being reminded by a failure to be nice? ;)

(i can draw conclusions too) :)

BTW - I am in no way saying Nitto's are bad or below another product, just to its clearly stated.

OK guys. Let's set the record strait for all the TRENTs out there:

1: The NITTO RB series oil pump is not owned by CRD. CRD has been involved with the testing and development of NITTO's products for a number of years now including the NITTO RB series oil pump. The pump housing is based on a proven design and is obviously going to look similar to other pumps on the market as they are all designed to be installed on the RB engine. Where NITTO went a lot further than the basic mass produced pumps eg: N1, Greddy, Jun etc is that they spent 1000's of hours redesigning and developing the oil pump gears to cure the high rate of existing oil pump gear failure that is still evident with other brands.

Guys, you have to understand that "the wheel" so to speak has already been invented. What NITTO has done has further developed the RB pump with more up to date materials which are far superior in strength and durability.

2: As to the manufactures of the Jun and Greddy RB oil pumps, the extreme similarities in both pumps would strongly suggest they come out of the same mass producing factory????

3: As for getting kicked out of Greddy that would have to be the joke of the week as I personally have made it known in our industry that I pulled out at the time that Greddy Oceania was set up. All I will say without slandering anybody on a forum is which is the worst form of self disrespect anybody can do is to say that we had differences of opinions.

End of story.

Regards Jim Souvas

Tech Engineer

CRD

PS: Hi Trent! Havn't seen you since Tokyo Autosalon 2008. Give us call if you're ever up in Sydney. Cheers!