SAU Community

P-plate Turbo Exemption Info?

RxGTR

I wanted to start a thread for all the future P platers trying to own skylines with turbo's.

Would be helpful if people with exemptions could give the reason why they were able to obtain it and what skyline they own.

thanks guys

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to start a thread for all the future P platers trying to own skylines with turbo's.

Would be helpful if people with exemptions could give the reason why they were able to obtain it and what skyline they own.

thanks guys

Im a P plater, got an r33 GTST. Well I got it coz I didnt fall under the new laws and got my license before 2007.

Dont understand u askying why i was able to obtain it,coz thats the only real reason i can give u

really? i didn't realise you could do that for a mech job

yes that is a perfectly viable reason to obtain an exemption, as mechanics are required to roadtest vechicles as part of their job.. however i'm quite certain that the exemption only covers you whilst at work!

so you would not be allowed to drive a turbo/v8 to and from work or on the week ends..

yes that is a perfectly viable reason to obtain an exemption, as mechanics are required to roadtest vechicles as part of their job.. however i'm quite certain that the exemption only covers you whilst at work!

so you would not be allowed to drive a turbo/v8 to and from work or on the week ends..

I was under the impression that it removed all power restriction from your license regardless of times and circumstances.

Im a P plater, got an r33 GTST. Well I got it coz I didnt fall under the new laws and got my license before 2007.

Dont understand u askying why i was able to obtain it,coz thats the only real reason i can give u

Except you're wrong.

Pre-2007 = no turbo restrictions.

Still has the 125kw per ton restriction which the R33 GTST is over.

I'd seriously be careful driving that car, because your insurance is void. You hit anything expensive and you'll have to declare bankruptcy before you turn 21.

Sorry benzino 33 i was refering to anyone who managed to obtain a exemption after the new laws came in.

Sorry benzino 33 i was refering to anyone who managed to obtain a exemption after the new laws came in.

For those getting their Ps after 2007...

I am pretty sure the only reason you would be allowed to drive a turbo Skyline on your Ps is if it is for work purposes, and that wouldn't include driving to work... As said, a mechanical job, or my friend who is an auto electrician and drives Ferraris, etc.. But I am under the impression that it would be only for client's cars and not your own... but that's not the issue here.

I don't think it's as easy as getting a note from your parents saying you are allowed to drive it, or saying "Please Sir/Madam, May I drive my turbo Skyline because it is awesome and I love it?".

That's why I'm sticking with my stock FWD Impreza until I'm off my Ps. Looong wait, but lets me save. :)

lol, my 33 gts4 is heavier then other skylines under the old laws... and they dont have the specs/nor can find them, so I dont have any issues, but in 3 months that wont matter!

lol, my 33 gts4 is heavier then other skylines under the old laws... and they dont have the specs/nor can find them, so I dont have any issues, but in 3 months that wont matter!

yeh but the GTS4 is a NA right? plus the standard GTS has the same 190-200ps output so either way power to weight ratio wont matter i don't think.

ur right, factory they are N/A, .... but read my sig,so far no cop has picked they come factory n/a and that i have turboed it...as opose to factory turboed

Except you're wrong.

Pre-2007 = no turbo restrictions.

Still has the 125kw per ton restriction which the R33 GTST is over.

I'd seriously be careful driving that car, because your insurance is void. You hit anything expensive and you'll have to declare bankruptcy before you turn 21.

Cool thanks for clarifying that. A mate bought an s15, I told him that his insurance will be void because u arent allowed to drive a turbo car.

ur right, factory they are N/A, .... but read my sig,so far no cop has picked they come factory n/a and that i have turboed it...as opose to factory turboed

Ow really? Where abouts do you live? Do you have like a noticable BOV? Coz i know people say drive like to stop attracting attention but if you have even a plumbback/ atmospheric bov it makes a fair loud noise. Enough to know that it runs a turbo. And the cops would most likely hear it

im in melb, so the laws are pretty tuff here. I dont think you get what I meant about its an N/A with a turbo... the cops do know there is a turbo in my engine bay(and the front mount intercooler is a giveaway too), but what they dont pick is the fact I have moddified an n/a motor to have a turbo, they just think the car came stock that way, so I dont get done for adding a turbo to the car without and engineer's certificate etc etc... then, when they try to get the factory weight of the car they cant, because there isnt much info on them around, so on paper the power to weight ratio is fine, but in reality its far from it. :(

but probably the most important thing is I dont do dumb crap.

Wrong.

You are driving illegally.

Spot on as always :(

You are ONLY allowed to drive within the confines of the exemption.

You can always get a permit if your family only owns one car, say a V8 Commodore. The exemption only applies to THAT car. Not just any V8/Turbo whatever.

So overall - the exemption whilst being handy, really isn't an option in most cases as you cant really get around it... plus if you buy a R33, your family already has 1-2 cars, forget it.

You have to lie to get the exemption, and if you get busted - hang on :D

Wrong.

You are driving illegally.

Am I? Well I recently got pulled over by a cop(yay) and he said he had to check his database to see whether I was allowed to drive the car I drive and he said coz I got my P's before 2007 there was no problem with me driving it. Ive got no turbo restrictions anyway. I get my full license soon anyway so if he got it wrong, Im not too fussed

Edited by Benzino33

i guess people on their green p's who can drive a turbo car but cant be over the 125kw limit are less of a target these days and the red p's would be targeted more,

iv been driving my R33 turbo for over a year now on my greens, been pulled over a few times, got canaried for having pod filter and fmic but they didnt even bother checking the power to weight ratio... but mine is originally NA, so it would come up under their system as NA lol,

i see alot of green p plates driving around with Gtst's and GTR's, i think if they had been cought before for power to weight ratio then they wouldnt be driving it, its 3 points for driving a high powered vehicle, if cought again you loose your licence, i know if i got cought i wouldnt drive my car,

if i was on my red's where i cant drive a turbo car i wouldnt bother buying a turbo car and getting an exemption, but on the greens(obtained p's before 2007) you can take a risk and suffer the consequences if you get cought or get into an accident, from experience you are less likely to be questioned or cought for the power to weight,

im not the type to bring attention to my car by thrashing it or doing fully sik blow off valve noises so that helps...