SAU Community

P-plate Turbo Exemption Info?

RxGTR

Couple of people seem to be missing the point, i.e. even though you have successfully evaded police attention for driving a high powered vehicle on your P plates, if you get into an accident and your insurance company decides to scrutinise the hell out of your claim...you are well and truly screwed. This is worsened by the fact that, the more expensive the claim, the more likely they are to try and get out of it. For the police it's just another fine that they miss out on handing out - for an insurance company it can be thousands of dollars. And to my knowledge they have every legal right to refuse your claim because you were driving illegally - it is the equivalent of driving without a licence. They also have every right to insure your car and collect your premium, only to reject a claim. I imagine some of the scummier companies do this regularly. A friend of mine was seeking an insurance quote for a WRX on his P plates a few years ago...the consultant was kind enough to tell him that he could and would insure his car but in the event of an accident would not pay out the claim.

That said, I'm not sure R33 GTS-Ts are over the power to weight? Or maybe it was R32 GTS-Ts...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of people seem to be missing the point, i.e. even though you have successfully evaded police attention for driving a high powered vehicle on your P plates, if you get into an accident and your insurance company decides to scrutinise the hell out of your claim...you are well and truly screwed. This is worsened by the fact that, the more expensive the claim, the more likely they are to try and get out of it. For the police it's just another fine that they miss out on handing out - for an insurance company it can be thousands of dollars. And to my knowledge they have every legal right to refuse your claim because you were driving illegally - it is the equivalent of driving without a licence. They also have every right to insure your car and collect your premium, only to reject a claim. I imagine some of the scummier companies do this regularly. A friend of mine was seeking an insurance quote for a WRX on his P plates a few years ago...the consultant was kind enough to tell him that he could and would insure his car but in the event of an accident would not pay out the claim.

That said, I'm not sure R33 GTS-Ts are over the power to weight? Or maybe it was R32 GTS-Ts...

R33's certainly are simply due to the RB25DET. R32s are sitting just on the 125kw limit with their RB20

im in melb, so the laws are pretty tuff here. I dont think you get what I meant about its an N/A with a turbo... the cops do know there is a turbo in my engine bay(and the front mount intercooler is a giveaway too), but what they dont pick is the fact I have moddified an n/a motor to have a turbo, they just think the car came stock that way, so I dont get done for adding a turbo to the car without and engineer's certificate etc etc... then, when they try to get the factory weight of the car they cant, because there isnt much info on them around, so on paper the power to weight ratio is fine, but in reality its far from it. :ninja:

but probably the most important thing is I dont do dumb crap.

Nah i get it. But you can still get pulled over for having a turbo. And a blow off valve can give a clear indication that its a turbo. So i don't get why people don't get pulled over when heaps of f**kers out there are running screamers or SSQV

ahh no worries, well for the record I run a standard gtr one and it does fine :ninja: and u ask why people don't get pulled over? luck of the draw i guess....

Eh, am I correct in my understanding that those of us who obtained their green Ps after July 1st 2007 are exempt from the previous power to weight ratio, and are only restricted by the new set of rules, i.e can drive anything that is not V8, not FIed, not modified, and not on the 'list'?

Reason I ask is, because, technically, we can drive a 370z if that is the case.

I would safely say that the list will be updated to put the 370Z on the banned list. If the 350Z is on that list then the 370Z would go in there as well. This is because VicRoads will see this as a High Performance 6 cylinder car

It would be ludicrous not having the 370Z on the list but the 350Z was

Am I? Well I recently got pulled over by a cop(yay) and he said he had to check his database to see whether I was allowed to drive the car I drive and he said coz I got my P's before 2007 there was no problem with me driving it. Ive got no turbo restrictions anyway. I get my full license soon anyway so if he got it wrong, Im not too fussed

A R33 GTS-t was always, and forever will be, over the Power to Weight restrictions.

This law has been around for 10 years or something, clearly listed on the VicRoads webside. Just because an officer is not adept enough to check the piece of paper properly wont get you off a fine/demerits from the next officer will give you.

Its not a matter of turbo restrictions, and never has been

Im on my green P's, I drive a 32 GTR and I have been caught, received a $220 fine but no demerit points. Have you actually lost demerits for driving a high powered vehicle?

very lucky not to receive 3 points.

My guess is next time you get pulled over, its likely to occur.

Eh, am I correct in my understanding that those of us who obtained their green Ps after July 1st 2007 are exempt from the previous power to weight ratio, and are only restricted by the new set of rules, i.e can drive anything that is not V8, not FIed, not modified, and not on the 'list'?

Reason I ask is, because, technically, we can drive a 370z if that is the case.

technically you should read the Gov't Gazette - you'll soon find a 370z listed, if its not already.

I got my P's in 2006. I recieve fines all the time for High Powered Vechicle's list. $225 and they say no dermerit points because i got my P's in 2006.

technically you should read the Gov't Gazette - you'll soon find a 370z listed, if its not already.

Thing is, I have:-S And I've checked with VicRoads and the Police, and as far as they know, it isn't classified as a high powered vehicle YET, and if a vehicle was purchased before new definitions come out, then, as I'm told, you wouldn't be bound by the new definitions.

Its the last part I want to clarify because VicRoads doesn't want to put anything in writing, i.e a statement, only verbal confirmation.

You may have a loophole there (which would be closing VERY soon), but good luck finding any evidence to back up your story should you be stopped.

Wish i had the money for a 370Z back when i was on my P's!

There may be some truth to what Indy says, as just like the new P plate laws didn't make the "current" P plate owners sell their turbo and V8 cars that were under the power/weight limit, I don't imagine a car added to the list would necessitate you selling your vehicle because you bought it before they added it.

That said, it's a bit silly to take the risk. For the money you are spending...if you have to have a fast car on your P's just get a quick four banger and install some throttle bodies / camshafts etc. Turbochargers are great bang for your buck but they aren't the be all and end all of performance.

Thing is, I have:-S And I've checked with VicRoads and the Police, and as far as they know, it isn't classified as a high powered vehicle YET, and if a vehicle was purchased before new definitions come out, then, as I'm told, you wouldn't be bound by the new definitions.

Its the last part I want to clarify because VicRoads doesn't want to put anything in writing, i.e a statement, only verbal confirmation.

Until you get it in writing - which i highly doubt.

Someone's 'word' simply will not cut it.

A car doesnt get into the Gazette before its release generally, its only after, there is a bit of a delay - always has been,

So like i said, until its actually on printed paper from someone @ VicRoads and the Victoria Police - i wouldnt believe a word of it because they will tell anything.

I've been caught out by this in the past.

Until you get it in writing - which i highly doubt.

Someone's 'word' simply will not cut it.

A car doesnt get into the Gazette before its release generally, its only after, there is a bit of a delay - always has been,

So like i said, until its actually on printed paper from someone @ VicRoads and the Victoria Police - i wouldnt believe a word of it because they will tell anything.

I've been caught out by this in the past.

Yeah, that is mainly why I'm trying to get a few opinions about this specific technicality at the moment. I guess its too late now as we've already taken delivery. Worse comes to worse, I get caught out once, pay the fine and go back to driving the family car and letting dad use it full time for a year until I get off probation.

The Gov't and related bodies are shifty - always have been.

I never do anything now without writing after i got shafted with my whole Engineers Cert situation last year where thier website documentation and staff say one thing, but they have some other rubbish that isnt posted on the website so i know how much of a pain it is.

I'll sit in a VicRoads office all day if i must until i get it in writing from now on :banana:

Im on my green P's, I drive a 32 GTR and I have been caught, received a $220 fine but no demerit points.
Here's the stupidity of this law - the government is aiding and abetting a breach of its own laws. If you aren't supposed to be driving that car, then why haven't they confiscated the car (or at least the keys) so you can't drive that car. No, just grab a few $$ from you, then send you on your way - in a car you aren't supposed to be driving.

It's pure fund-raising, nothing to do with road safety.

hey.

i drive a r33 gtr series 3,

got the exemption cause im a mechanic, and need to drive turbo/v8 vechiles for work :banana:

Damn i gotta become a mechanic lol wont matter soon ill be off my p's

Here's the stupidity of this law - the government is aiding and abetting a breach of its own laws. If you aren't supposed to be driving that car, then why haven't they confiscated the car (or at least the keys) so you can't drive that car. No, just grab a few $$ from you, then send you on your way - in a car you aren't supposed to be driving.

It's pure fund-raising, nothing to do with road safety.

Couldn't agree more.

They put laws in place, and only apply the financial windfall part of it :banana: