SAU Community

P-plate Turbo Exemption Info?

RxGTR

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do they need to pop the bonnet?

The registration details have the model number, they cross reference with thier checklist.

They dont even need to get out of the car to know that

It baffles me too how stupid some P platers can be.

Actually, I don't think it's stupidity, I just don't think they fully comprehend the seriousness of the matter.

Forget fines, demerit points and possible loss of license. It's BANKRUPTCY that scares the shit out of me.

I mean, there is a reason your third party insurance is covered up to 30million or something.

It baffles me too how stupid some P platers can be.

Actually, I don't think it's stupidity, I just don't think they fully comprehend the seriousness of the matter.

Forget fines, demerit points and possible loss of license. It's BANKRUPTCY that scares the shit out of me.

I mean, there is a reason your third party insurance is covered up to 30million or something.

ahah ok then smart guy. how about in a situation like WYTSKY then? where a GTS4 or even a GTS is turbocharged? It will come up as an NA wouldn't it?

ahah ok then smart guy. how about in a situation like WYTSKY then? where a GTS4 or even a GTS is turbocharged? It will come up as an NA wouldn't it?

You're missing the point.

You can do anything and everything under the sun to hide the fact you're driving an illegal car, and you might get away with it.

But then again, you might not. The question is, can you afford it?

Can you pay for the new Beamer you just rear ended in the wet? Can you pay for the repairs for the traffic lights you just totaled? Can you afford the hundreds of thousands of medical bills the poor sod in the other car has to undergo?

If you're lucky you'll just write your own car off and get nothing back, and that's the best outcome!

And don't say it won't happen, because it does. I know first hand exactly what it's like to have the worst luck in the world.

You can do anything and everything under the sun to hide the fact you're driving an illegal car, and you might get away with it.

Can you pay for the new Beamer you just rear ended in the wet? Can you pay for the repairs for the traffic lights you just totaled? Can you afford the hundreds of thousands of medical bills the poor sod in the other car has to undergo?

If you're lucky you'll just write your own car off and get nothing back, and that's the best outcome!

And don't say it won't happen, because it does. I know first hand exactly what it's like to have the worst luck in the world.

Yeh you are right. Might as well just de-badge the GTST and put a GTS or GT badge on. But then the cops could give you shit for that. goddddddddddddddddddd i hate victorian laws

Yeh you are right. Might as well just de-badge the GTST and put a GTS or GT badge on. But then the cops could give you shit for that. goddddddddddddddddddd i hate victorian laws

WHY, after what I posted, are people still talking about ways to avoid the police and/or getting fines for driving a high powered vehicle? Are you all millionnaires? F**k the fines, Reality check:

IF YOU DRIVE A HIGH POWERED VEHICLE ON YOUR P PLATES YOUR INSURANCE, BOTH THIRD PARTY AND COMPREHENSIVE, IS VOID. IF YOU HIT A PORSCHE YOU ARE FINISHED. YOU WILL DECLARE BANKRUPTCY AT AGE 18-21 AND YOUR CREDIT RATING WILL BE SCREWED FOR SEVERAL YEARS. NO CREDIT CARDS, NO HOME LOANS, NO FINANCE TO BUY A REPLACEMENT CAR. A BIG BLACK MARK AGAINST YOUR NAME. IS IT REALLY WORTH IT JUST SO YOU CAN BE A LITTLE FASTER THAN THE OTHER GUY AT THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS?

It doesn't even have to be an expensive car. How many people here can really afford to write off, say, a $40,000 car and pay it all back? That's one of the better scenarios too. Think how much damage a car can do to people and property. I wrote off my first car on my P plates. I too thought it would never happen to me and I never saw the stupid mistake I made coming...who does? Just a simple lapse of concentration late at night. Luckily I had third party insurance; to cover the $8,000 of damage to the other guy's car. But even with that it stuffed up my life having to save up for another vehicle.

Another case in point, my friend's E46 M3 got T-boned by a P plater in a Ford Laser a few years ago. Fortunately the P plater had third party insurance. Had he not, he would be spending the next few years paying off $130,000 worth of write off. Or declaring bankruptcy. Neither is a good option in my eyes.

Edited by Birds

hold up, just before we go BOLDING everything, I checked with my insurance, they were well aware of my age, they said "YES" that will be fine...

I put the turbo on, the next day I called to say i've done it, they charged me an extra 50 bucks a year and said no worries... they even send me out my list of mods when I pay each year and it says turbo, injectors, ecu management, fuel pump, anything and everything, so if anything happens it is all noted for... they even have the model of my aftermarket turbo.

I'm with just car third party + fire and theft...

RxGTR,If you really like skylines that much why dont u get an n/a one, save up for the duration of u being on your p's and put a turbo in it wen u get your license? either that or jus buy another turbo'd one wen ur fully licensed.

Im pretty lucky to have never got in trouble for driving the car i drive on my p's. had it for almost a year now and get my full license in 4 days..

lol now i wanna lat low for the next few days incase my luck runs out

Edited by Benzino33

hold up, just before we go BOLDING everything, I checked with my insurance, they were well aware of my age, they said "YES" that will be fine...

I put the turbo on, the next day I called to say i've done it, they charged me an extra 50 bucks a year and said no worries... they even send me out my list of mods when I pay each year and it says turbo, injectors, ecu management, fuel pump, anything and everything, so if anything happens it is all noted for... they even have the model of my aftermarket turbo.

Like i said in another thread - they will insure ANYTHING. You could own a 1000hp lambo.

Doesn't mean it is legal - that is the key issue.

Read the fine print of your agreement, you will find that it will make references to not being covered if driving illegally.

Driving a illegal/banned car for your license is no different to driving drunk, drugged or otherwise - they are all the same thing - illegal.

Its fine... until you cause an accident, make a claim and then they reject it based on the fact that your driving the car illegally.

As I said before, and the people above this post have said, they will more than happily take your premium each year until you call up to make a claim. They are insurance companies...no matter how friendly they sound in their advertisements, they are scum and like any other business they are there to make a profit. For whatever chance you have in getting your claim processed after an accident, I wouldn't be taking it.

Like i said in another thread - they will insure ANYTHING. You could own a 1000hp lambo.

Doesn't mean it is legal - that is the key issue.

Read the fine print of your agreement, you will find that it will make references to not being covered if driving illegally.

Driving a illegal/banned car for your license is no different to driving drunk, drugged or otherwise - they are all the same thing - illegal.

damnn.... wot crap... seriously though u ask them everything... will the car be insured in a crash... will the car i hit (hope I dont) be covered... will my mods be covered....

everything comes out yes yes YES!

will have to check my policy in a month or so when i renew and im off my P's :D

RxGTR,If you really like skylines that much why dont u get an n/a one, save up for the duration of u being on your p's and put a turbo in it wen u get your license? either that or jus buy another turbo'd one wen ur fully licensed.

Im pretty lucky to have never got in trouble for driving the car i drive on my p's. had it for almost a year now and get my full license in 4 days..

lol now i wanna lat low for the next few days incase my luck runs out

Yeh you've got a good point. i mean you can still get decent power out of the RB when its NA anyway.

damnn.... wot crap... seriously though u ask them everything... will the car be insured in a crash... will the car i hit (hope I dont) be covered... will my mods be covered....

everything comes out yes yes YES!

will have to check my policy in a month or so when i renew and im off my P's :D

They say your mods are covered. Because they are.

You need to understand that you can insure anything and they will cover you.

However that all changes once you actually DRIVE it on the road.

Once you do, you are then bound by using that car legally within the confines of the law. Be that in regards to the model, modifications, your personal state (drunk, drugged).

If a modification that is illegal, contributes to the accident, your policy is VOID. Its always been thay way and always will be.

Most people seem to get away with it because they are small claims (less than $10,000) and insurance companies probably dont really care too much given that happens most days, but like i said in another thread, it would be much more interesting if you polaxed a car of reasonable vaule - say over 50-60k and up into 6 figures. And there are a lot of cars 50-60k in value on the road.

I wouldn't be surprised if in that instance the insurance company investigated the matter a little bit closer.

Hey guys,

There's a member on here that works for Just Car Insurance and I was speaking to him last night in person (Shy_Boi I think his SAU name is).

He said that they WILL pay out a p-plater in a high powered vehicle as long as no police are on the scene to fine them for doing anything illegal (i.e. overpowered car).

He said that they "insure the car, not the driver".

I don't think that's any better though jezza. Police frequently turn up to accident scenes. Accident severity has linear, correlated consequences. The worse the accident, the more likely an insurance company will scrutinise your claim and the more likely you are to get screwed out of the claim. The worse the accident, the more likely police are going to turn up and fine you for driving an overpowered vehicle.

WYTSKY...it's still a gamble man. Just don't drive your car for a month. Find something else to drive or catch public transport. It's like driving without a licence and just hoping nothing goes wrong, it really is. Sure there's probably a 99.9% chance you won't get into an accident before you get off your P's...but you can never rule out that 0.1%.

I thought people were just ignorant of this stuff, but shit...you've been told about it now. It really worries me that some of you are going to continue driving like you are.