SAU Community

P-plate Turbo Exemption Info?

RxGTR

I don't think that's any better though jezza. Police frequently turn up to accident scenes. Accident severity has linear, correlated consequences. The worse the accident, the more likely an insurance company will scrutinise your claim and the more likely you are to get screwed out of the claim. The worse the accident, the more likely police are going to turn up and fine you for driving an overpowered vehicle.

WYTSKY...it's still a gamble man. Just don't drive your car for a month. Find something else to drive or catch public transport. It's like driving without a licence and just hoping nothing goes wrong, it really is. Sure there's probably a 99.9% chance you won't get into an accident before you get off your P's...but you can never rule out that 0.1%.

I thought people were just ignorant of this stuff, but shit...you've been told about it now. It really worries me that some of you are going to continue driving like you are.

and yet im not a massive fan of crown :( I guess over these past 2 years & 10 months and some days I have owned the car, I have always tried to keep a low profile on the road - regardless of it being an n/a or turbo, and obey all road rules and always give a decent gap infront of me, or maybe it has been luck or a combo of both.

Much appreciated advice from the older members, ironic I find this out less then 50-60 days before im off my p's... interesting whether this would have stopped me doing all the engine mods earlier, still can believe that just cars can tell me over the phone yes will all be fine, but they only meant when its in my garage...

as for driving- I am taking public transport to uni each day, travel in the missus's car alot, and as if this wasent enough pressure on me when I drive, I was also concerned about police attention, dont want any fines in the last few weeks either :D

with all the cash ive been saving from expenses of not driving as much these past few months, ive gone out and bought a set of meisters for the car :D

Once again, thanks.

Adam

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

There's a member on here that works for Just Car Insurance and I was speaking to him last night in person (Shy_Boi I think his SAU name is).

He said that they WILL pay out a p-plater in a high powered vehicle as long as no police are on the scene to fine them for doing anything illegal (i.e. overpowered car).

He said that they "insure the car, not the driver".

I think the last line of that statement is very misleading in some ways.

Why then... Do insurance companies sometimes have minimum age restrictions on actual drivers of the insured car?

So it can certainly come down to the driver without questiln. To say it does not is wrong.

You write off your old mans HSV that is his driver only, regardless of restrctions its not even covered after leaving the driveway - restrictions just add too it when the law rocks up and slaps you with some fines :laugh:

But that basically confirms what everyone is saying otherwise, because if you do enough dmg to destroy a 50-60k car, there will be police on the scene.

I got my License in 2005. How ever my License was canceled early last year when i went to court. i was busted driving unlicensed twice. I obtained my license back in March this year. Can i still drive turbo powered cars or do i fall under the new law? I'm back on my P's...:P

Edited by Dush

I got my License in 2005. How ever my License was canceled early last year when i went to court. i was busted driving unlicensed twice. I obtained my license back in March this year. Can i still drive turbo powered cars or do i fall under the new law? I'm back on my P's...:P

I'm in a similar situation.

Everyone I spoke to at Vicroads said yes, it's fine to drive turbo charged cars (under the 125kw per ton limit), however, some guy on nissansilvia.com was adamant that it was not okay. That he wrote a letter to Vicroads asking for confirmation (and a letter of proof to show the police) and they told him no, it was not okay.

In the end I didn't see the gain of having a turbo worth the hassle, even if it is legal. Just buy a nice N/A and enjoy it for the cruiser it is.

Depends if it was a cancellation or a suspension.

Suspension would be no

Cancellation - would be subjective to the case/circumstance at hand.

I suggest you do the above, get it in writing to be 100% safe

^Exactly.

Why do you need a turbocharged vehicle on your P plates anyway? Sure it's more fun, but it's not a necessity. Your car won't cease to run if it doesn't have a turbo. Anything that does the 0-100 in less than 10 seconds is perfectly capable of keeping up with the traffic and overtaking IMO.

If I was still on my P's and adamant about having a Skyline with turbo performance, I'd be going old school on an RB25DE. With the money you save on buying N/A, you could spend it on atmo modifications to achieve performance close to that of a GTS-T. Hell, you might even learn something about engines instead of just bolting on the 3 inch exhaust and front mount intercooler. Problem with kids these days, is they are all about their turbos and house music.

If you want to do 0-100 in 6 seconds on your P plates buy a motorbike FFS.

I don't think that's any better though jezza. Police frequently turn up to accident scenes. Accident severity has linear, correlated consequences. The worse the accident, the more likely an insurance company will scrutinise your claim and the more likely you are to get screwed out of the claim. The worse the accident, the more likely police are going to turn up and fine you for driving an overpowered vehicle.

WYTSKY...it's still a gamble man. Just don't drive your car for a month. Find something else to drive or catch public transport. It's like driving without a licence and just hoping nothing goes wrong, it really is. Sure there's probably a 99.9% chance you won't get into an accident before you get off your P's...but you can never rule out that 0.1%.

I thought people were just ignorant of this stuff, but shit...you've been told about it now. It really worries me that some of you are going to continue driving like you are.

Same can be said for any skyline with any illegal modifications to it.

Insurances can still void any payout if they deem the accident may have been caused from your tune, injectors, upgraded turbo, under the legal height limit etc

Guess every member on this forum is going to end up bankrupt if they have an accident... ;)

I get off my P's tomorrow, so now they cant void my claim by age, but they still have my mods which they can use...

^Exactly.

Why do you need a turbocharged vehicle on your P plates anyway? Sure it's more fun, but it's not a necessity. Your car won't cease to run if it doesn't have a turbo. Anything that does the 0-100 in less than 10 seconds is perfectly capable of keeping up with the traffic and overtaking IMO.

If I was still on my P's and adamant about having a Skyline with turbo performance, I'd be going old school on an RB25DE. With the money you save on buying N/A, you could spend it on atmo modifications to achieve performance close to that of a GTS-T. Hell, you might even learn something about engines instead of just bolting on the 3 inch exhaust and front mount intercooler. Problem with kids these days, is they are all about their turbos and house music.

Or a Supra. 0-100 in 6.1 seconds ftw!

Sorry, I really don't care much about performance. Just stoked to be picking up mine next week.

i lost my licence today, ima p plater with a gtst. i got pulled over twice but for speeding and no p plates up. not for having a turbo

they dont know shiz abt turbos or not...

Dude, read the f**king thread.

Insurance > Loss of License. No one gives a f**k what the cops think, it's the insurance companies that will f**k you over.

Dude, read the f**king thread.

Insurance > Loss of License. No one gives a f**k what the cops think, it's the insurance companies that will f**k you over.

mmmmm gets so frustrating when people don't read and then they whine or flame. I'm with you KezR33

i lost my licence today, ima p plater with a gtst. i got pulled over twice but for speeding and no p plates up. not for having a turbo

they dont know shiz abt turbos or not...

lol, guess ur username suits well then...

^Exactly.

how is a motorbike safer than a gts't?

its people with mazda 6s and camry's who think they are the fastest people on the road and zig zag out of traffic is what pisses me off,

it is why i shut them up when i blitz them off the line, 0-80 :down:

but seriously this thread is way of topic now lol, if a person chooses to drive a car illegally or do illegal mods then its his choice decision and he will suffer the consequences, everyone should get over p-platers driving highpowered vehicles, they made their own choice, if they go bankrupt they fk up their own lives,

there is more idiots out there drink driving and driving on drugs that are far more dangerous than any p-plater with a gts't could ever be,

i choose to drive a turbo car on my p's because of that same reason you stated above, being able to overtake a car and get out of dangerous situations,

too many noob drivers out there who drive 60 in a 80 zone and block everyone off from driving the speed limit

p-platers will always be an easy target for the media and the police, instead of giving them fines and introducing new laws for more revenue raising how about they invested some money in driving courses and sutff like that for p-platers,

and p.s flame all you want

lol, guess ur username suits well then...

Lol maddest call there XD

its people with mazda 6s and camry's who think they are the fastest people on the road and zig zag out of traffic is what pisses me off,

it is why i shut them up when i blitz them off the line, 0-80 :down:

but seriously this thread is way of topic now lol, if a person chooses to drive a car illegally or do illegal mods then its his choice decision and he will suffer the consequences, everyone should get over p-platers driving highpowered vehicles, they made their own choice, if they go bankrupt they fk up their own lives,

there is more idiots out there drink driving and driving on drugs that are far more dangerous than any p-plater with a gts't could ever be,

i choose to drive a turbo car on my p's because of that same reason you stated above, being able to overtake a car and get out of dangerous situations,

too many noob drivers out there who drive 60 in a 80 zone and block everyone off from driving the speed limit

p-platers will always be an easy target for the media and the police, instead of giving them fines and introducing new laws for more revenue raising how about they invested some money in driving courses and sutff like that for p-platers,

I agree with you J3TR33 its true there are noob p-platers that think they're more superior (luckily im not one) so as you said courses and such might be a good idea

Yea I'm have to write them a letter to be 100% sure!

thanks guys... its truly gay having to go back on my P's...

it is why i shut them up when i blitz them off the line, 0-80 :thumbsup:

It's not about safer it's about legal. You can legally ride a 250cc motorcycle capable of 6 second 0-100 times at age 18. If you get into an accident riding this motorcycle, insurance will cover you. At age 18, in the GTS-T, it is at their discretion to politely tell you to f*** off.

And WTF man. How was this thread off topic? We were talking about P plate turbo exemptions, i.e. how there are basically none. And how insurance won't necessarily cover you if you do crash a high powered vehicle. I couldn't think of anything more relevant. And now you're sparking up the P plater negative-stereotype debate? THAT is going off topic.

It's not just about insurance and bankruptcy. It goes beyond that. The laws exist for a reason. It's not just so people over 21 can have something on you that you aren't allowed to drive a high powered vehicle. They don't base it on a gut feeling either. P platers are inexperienced by nature and there are plenty of immature young drivers. That is why they limit you. Yeah, it starts off as "his choice", but you give it the right time/place and that turns into "her death". You're not the only person on the road. And just because drink/drug drivers may be more dangerous than P platers, doesn't mean we should ignore the dangers of the latter.

If you can't overtake cars with the power of, say, a V6 Commodore, then you should think about modifying your driving style. It sounds to me like you make very swift decisions without patience. I can't fathom a reason why you would need a 6 second 0-100 car to overtake traffic. If someone is doing 60 in an 80 zone it's not difficult to overtake them in anything. And do tell, nay, please find me a dangerous situation...that you haven't put yourself in...where the GTS-T could get out while a GTS would remain stranded.