SAU Community

2 Din Cheap Gps Audio

Wow those look like a pretty good package! My only concern holding me back from buying any of these big screened units is the issue that Scott has had just above, due to the size of the screen the light output might get a bit irritating at night. Is there any way to adjust the brightness or temporarily turn off the screen only?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It says in the product description:

Display Adjustment (Brightness, Contrast, Color Arbitrarily Settings)

I'm not too technical on the wiring side of things but the 'illumination' wire.. does that connect to the dash lights so it dims when you turn the lights on?

I've got an Eonon unit installed in my commonwhore which cost bugger all ($200) and it does everything except make my breakfast!

Doesn't have GPS or BT but it plays nearly every format known and has USB support which I use my 8GB thumbdrive with. :D

Looks like this:

923-01.jpg

Guys,

Most of the units on ebay are eonon, i had one a 2-DIN DVD touchscreen

lasted like 8/9 months was a good buy for 330 delivered to my house.

I figured it paid for itself over that time, it was a good cheap alternative at the time.

In saying that it did die last week and wiring was a bit of a pain standard wiring cant supply enough power.

result?? i ran a seperate power wire with a secondary fuse of the battery for any spikes in power.

Any questions on the units just pm me, ive installed a few of the different models available from ebay.

Thanks Rob, might have to hit you up for some help if I get stuck installing this myself if you don't mind!

I can't seem to find any reviews anywhere for the other unit.

All I've managed to find out is it's made by Hoatoa (www.hoatoa.com) and it's the HT-9000i model.

I'll probably give it a shot anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Pat

Did you have trouble fitting the unit to the space of the dash surround?

Seems the unit is just a tad bigger and I might have to file back the dash piece so that it can sit properly around the screen..

Hey Pat

Did you have trouble fitting the unit to the space of the dash surround?

Seems the unit is just a tad bigger and I might have to file back the dash piece so that it can sit properly around the screen..

yeah i had to file off only about 1-2mm off each side, took a whole of 15 mins :happy: other than that it fit well, but ya cant get the surround on because the climate control is too close to it

Awesome! Thought it was just my inability to put it in properly haha.

I'm a little confused how to wire the rear camera and tv with the lack of instructions it came with though..

Did you have to run the camera off a relay?

And I thought I hooked the tv up properly but it keeps saying about the safety when I try to click on it..?

Any help plz?

Thanks!

Right now those are the only two things not hooked up properly, but I'm loving the unit anyway!

GPS works a treat :down:

Awesome! Thought it was just my inability to put it in properly haha.

I'm a little confused how to wire the rear camera and tv with the lack of instructions it came with though..

Did you have to run the camera off a relay?

And I thought I hooked the tv up properly but it keeps saying about the safety when I try to click on it..?

Any help plz?

Thanks!

Right now those are the only two things not hooked up properly, but I'm loving the unit anyway!

GPS works a treat :P

you have to ground the parking brake wire! to access tv and dvd. its meant to only display movies/tv when the hand brake is up! but its easier to bypass :down:

and the rear camera is meant to be hooked up to the gearbox/reverse lights... it turns on automatically when you put the car into reverse. I didn't bother with a reversing camera so i can't be of any more help on where exactly to hook it up to. You could bo a test by powering it up and grounding the reverse wire and see if it changes automaticaly to the camera input

Thanks so much!

I'll give it a shot in the coming days, for now the wiring has all been laid and I put the interior back together just so I can drive around for the time being.. I'll hopefully be able to give a proper review once it's all connected properly :banana:

just got one of these of ebay

If you want to get it dirt cheap, search around for a week or so, find out when they sell the cheapest, which would be later at night (10PM+) or earlier in the morning.

Some have a buy it now price of around $400 and can be bought in an auction for around $200-$300, mine had a buy it now price of $380 and with postage it was $298 after auction

The only complaint i would make is its a little slow to load, if i my dongle into the usb slot it takes 10 sec or so before it registers and begins to play But not to bad, GPS seams to be accurate although it cant find a location if you more than 10 meters from a road. eg in a shopping centre car park (on the roof)

also mine didnt come with a tv antenna so thats going to be an extra $30-$40 depending on type and brand

Any sugestions on which type of tv antenna to get?

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, the unit is working perfectly fine.

I finally found time to ground the parking wire so the TV/DVD function works. Picture quality is brilliant for video/DVD although I think I'll try to find an alternative to the small antenna it came with for TV use.

Reverse camera is handy since the wing is restricting view out of the rear, it lets me see if there's any objects behind me, so long as I don't start relying on it then it's a good addition to have :)

It also has an outline of distance overlayed over the rear camera display so you can judge parking manouveres.

I went to Gary's Car Radio and inquired about an alternative antenna option.

They recommended and use on their own cars, an in bumper antenna which sits behind the front AND rear bumper so it's not visible, but the best he could do is $270.

Also there is the option of a windshield film antenna for $180 which he said works very well also.

I saw online that the windshield film antenna type can be had for $40-50 but I'm not sure how that would compare in it's ability to pick up signal to the $180 one he quoted me. Maybe it's the same :P

• 2 weeks later...

I got the reverse camera hooked up.. so far I'm just going to leave the surrounding dash piece off while I try to source another one to modify a little to make it fit around this unit.

Works pretty well, very clear, night time isn't a problem either.

th_IMG_1095Large-1.jpg

Edited by UnCo

i ran a seperate power wire with a secondary fuse of the battery for any spikes in power.

How did you do this? Constant power or ACC power? I'd guess it's the ACC power because the constant just holds the memory? I think!

I'm looking at getting one of these for our Elgrand, but with the digital TV feature too. But going through the people who sell to the ebay sellers who sell to you. May as well cut out the ebay link, still PayPal it and have it freighted to my door.

Cheers, Greg.

I purchased this second one as well which has digital TV

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=270439423461

It's very similar to the first one I bought with only slight differences such as

- In GPS mode if you adjust the volume, it adjusts the music volume rather than the voice commands volume (I think this is better because most of the time I just drive around with the GPS map showing but with no set destination, so I want to be able to adjust the volume without temporarily going to radio/cd mode then back to the map.

- It seems to play music off the iPhone via bluetooth without needing to plug the ipod connector in.

Only thing is, when the ipod connector is plugged in, the music doesn't go through to the unit but plays out of the iPhone speaker.

Just a few tiny things like that.

I'm not as big of a fan of the GUI on this compared to the first one I got either.

All in all it still does what I bought these to do, so I'm very happy with it!

a few of my mates had these 2 din types and the only recurrent problem they experienced was the flip-down mechanism, it stuffed up after sometime, doesnt open n shut properly. but otherwise they aint a bad piece of kit, considering price. looks good.