SAU Community

Rb20 Engine Not Running Right Can Someone Help? Cough And Splatter

Hey guys :wavey: my rb20 turbo engine isn't not running right! :ermm:

It idle's fine but when i try drive it & it hits 2000 rpm it coughs and splatters? :dunno: & blows some blue smoke

any ideas what it could be & how to fix it?

or could it be getting to much fuel or not getting enough??? :dunno:

cheers guys

Blue smoke is bad, usually means oil is leaking into a cylinder.. check your spark plugs and replace if they're fouled up, sounds like head gasket is blown (would piston rings causing coughing and spluttering though?)

Blue smoke is bad, usually means oil is leaking into a cylinder.. check your spark plugs and replace if they're fouled up, sounds like head gasket is blown (would piston rings causing coughing and spluttering though?)

f**k are you serious dude oil is leaking into a cylinder?

how do you see if thats happening?

any way to fix it?

first thing i would do is (when the car is cold) check your oil and coolant. if the coolant or the oil is milky then it is the headgasket. if the oil is black and the coolant is green, you are slightly safe, LOL. if either are low then you could still have an issue. if both are fine then it shouldn't be the headgasket........ but still can't rule it out.

blue smoke is usually oil. white smoke is water and black smoke is unburnt fuel.

water can only really come from the headgasket. however oil can also come from the turbo. i would probably say that your turbo is shot and once it is coming up on boost oil is leaking out the seals and going into the cylinders. this will foul up the plugs and also it doesn't burn as easilly as fuel. to check this pull off one of the intercooler pipes. if there is lots of oil in there it's new turbo time.