SAU Community

Bomberman's Rb26debt Build From Dmms Or Better Known As Dazmo

Hi all, I've been reading up on all the nice builds here in the motorsport section, and although definitely mine is nowhere near as hardcore as the MERLI, MARK AND RUSS, NZMO32 and DAZMO builds, I still thought I'd post my little photo diary of my engine build for any of those who might be interested. A brief history, The car is a BNR32 V-SPEC model. I bought this car in 2003, imported from Japan by an appointed broker here in Brisbane. A fairly clean example, 35500kms on the clock, and totally stock except cat back exhaust and pod filters. I didnt fiddle much with the car except adding a few go fast bits of my own. items added were a blitz dsbc boost controller, a hks twin racing exhaust (one full length exhaust off each turbo) off the standard turbo outlets, a power fc and an ats twin plate carbon clutch. This setup running 13psi saw 299 all wheel hp. I was quite happy with this setup for quite some time, until mid 2006 i broke an oil pump heading down the strip. This is where my long time buddy/lifesaver DAZMO came to the rescue. Since the night she blew, the car has been sitting in Daz's shed in the backyard herein referred to as "Daz motorsport headquarters", for almost 3 years now. During that time, I've collected heaps of parts, changed my mind heaps of times, sold heaps of the parts i collected, and collected more parts because i had changed my mind! ANYWAY FINALLY, The engine build is in full swing now. I guess this thread is my way of saying THANKS to my very good friend Darren. Anyone that knows him knows that he is (apart from being a firey fu(ker and uses the F word in more ways than you can imagine) always there, willing to go out of his way to lend a helping hand to anyone that needs it. Cheers buddy!

This is also a good chance to show some of the awesome work Daz does. This engine was not built in an air conditioned, dust free dedicated engine building room, it was built by Darren at "Daz motorsport headquarters". After seeing some of the cars that have left "Daz motorsport headquarters", i wouldnt have it built any other way!

mygtr2.jpg

mygtr4.jpg

Edited by AtomicBomberMan

Nice :D gives me some inspiration again to do one of these.. and also to start work on my car again.....

but alas i probably wont haha, i been collecting and selling and collecting again just like you!! its great huh :P

Good luck with your build! i shall stay tuned in hope for some motivation to get going again...

Preparation for heart surgery

28012008410.jpg

Here is Daz and Matty (surgeons assistant) elbow deep in cavity (mechanics Butt crack pics to come later)

28012008411.jpg

Matty preparing for liftout

28012008412.jpg

truckie friend Adam came to help out with the old heart removal

28012008413.jpg

The old ticker. She is still complete. We managed to keep her complete during the new build. Lucky for me most of the New Engine is NEW.

28012008414.jpg

The GAPING cavity

28012008415.jpg

The bay was filthy. All white GTR's seem to come with this sooty stuff.

31012008436.jpg

Lots of toothbrushes, a steam gun and a crapload of elbow grease later. Turned out ok.

31012008440.jpg

31012008439.jpg

Awaiting new heart.

Copyof28012008416.jpg

Anyone that knows him knows that he is (apart from being a firey fu(ker and uses the F word in more ways than you can imagine) always there, willing to go out of his way to lend a helping hand to anyone that needs it. Cheers buddy!

Yes that is the Dazmo we all know :D

One of the nicest guys in this game.

Don't hold back mate. I know you have some more sexier pictures :(

Thanks for the kind words Angus and Merli and 9K. 9K you should have a thread too. Give us a run down on yours! I know yours isnt a regular coffee grinder either! Time to fill in the blanks buddy, you've kept us guessing long enough. You can't answer all the questions with "dont know, (wink)" forever mate!

She's a long way to go yet. The engine parts list is quite long. I made a list of all the parts some time ago.In the time that the car has been sitting, i have had many change of hearts. I used to have a sort of of a fetish with Japanese parts. but in the last few years that has changed a bit. So that list i was talking about needs to be edited quite a bit! Cranks alone, i bought, sold and rebought 4 before i stayed with the one i have now. Tomei 2.6.... nice but too heavy. Apexi nice but heavier again! HKS step 2 2.8 (now in DAZ's car) hmmmm... i wanna stay 2.6L. FINALLY I bought a HKS step 3 full counterweight 2.6L billet crank. I chose this crank because on the counterweights (although not knife edged) had big scallops in them where they have removed the metal to keep the weight down. Here are some pics to show you what i mean.

This is the Apexi V-MAX crank that i bought. note the huge lobes with knife edging. Being a V-Max crank it probably is more suited to drag racing. On the scales this was from memory about 25.5- 26kgs, which was about 2kg heavier than the Tomei full counter billet crank. Although very nice (made by a uk company called Farndon Racing http://www.farndon.com/index.htm ) was too heavy for my application. I wanted throttle response and i had experienced the huge effects of adding just a lightened flywheel and clutch setup had on response, so i knew the heavier crank was not a good choice.

DSC02601.jpg

This is the HKS STEP III 2.6L billet crank. This weighed just over 22kgs, which is about 2kgs heavier than the stock crank, and quite a lot lighter than the Apexi and Tomei cranks. Note where they have taken the material out, but no knife edging.

SNV30778.jpg

I bought a brand new N1 block (actually this is my second one, more on that later) and thought that it would be a shame to bore out a brand new block to 86.5mm or 87mm. I wanted to keep the meat in the bores for extra strength.

SNV30807.jpg

SNV30792.jpg

SNV30798.jpg

Unfortunately when it came to pistons there wasnt a whole lot of choice. Most of the Japanese manufacturers dont really cater for those who are building an engine with a new block and hence most of their pistons start at 87mm and even then a selected few do 86.5mm. To stay 86mm the only choice was HKS. I had a set of Apexi's that were 86.1mm, which would have been find as a light hone would have made them fit. These were VMAX pistons, once again, like the crank was designed with drag racing in mind. These were step 3 pistons and had 22mm pins. These also had a huge reliefs cut out of the top of the piston for very high lift camshafts (11.35mm and above) very nice piston but probably overkill for me. These were sold and in their place a set of 86mm HKS step 2 pistons with the 21mm pins. Apexi pics are just for reference.

APEXIVMAXPISTONS861MMF.jpg

APEXIVMAXPISTONS861MMA.jpg

APEXIVMAXPISTONS861MMC.jpg

Sorry, I accidently deleted a ton of pics. these are the only pics i have of the HKS pistons.

hkspistons.jpg

Some of those parts look stragely familiar for some reason. Bomberman is a bit modest as to how hardcore his build is although it is primarily a street car i would be willing to wager that it will give some of the more dedicated track cars a run for their money once completed. The only thing missing is the roll cage and dry sump at any rate it will be one tuff streeter.

Sweet Jesus if the rest of the parts list continues like that there will be some serious number from this motor.

Keep the info coming champion!!

Rhys

nice choice of crank and pistons. neither will dissapoint. the v-max crank is pretty horny though too... :blink:

That v-max crank looks awesome!!! Considering it is discontinued would the license for Fardon to produce cranks for Apexi also be negated, so theoretically could you get Fardon to make you an identical "equivalent" (i.e. like the Garrett -9's and HKS GT-SS)???

Anyway, awesome build so far! Good luck...

thanks for the kind comments guys. I'll try to include as many pics as possible. A lot of them will probably be boring to a lot of you guys, cos most of my pics are of Darren slaving over my engine! I had lost a lot of the pics which may have been a good thing cos it was almost a step by step guide of how to put a 26 together! Anyway, I'll try to keep it interesting.

Mr Keets, im not sure who actually makes the hks billet cranks. I know fandon made the apexi ones. I doubt many of the Japanese companies actually make their own cranks. Hks dont make the standard stroke 2.6L billet cranks anymore. If you want something similar to the hks one in a 2.6L, JUN make one that is very similar, with the scallopped counterweights.

BIGMIKE thats a pretty good question! I dont see why not. Its probably one of the best moves Garrett ever made! I cant see the market being flooded with billet rb26 cranks though! haha but wouldnt that be awesome!? Everyone banging the 10000rpm rev limit on the way to buy bread and milk?

There have been many times where ive gone off on a tangent regarding what parts to choose. Daz has brought me back down to earth. He's taught me a heck of a lot and has saved me a heap of money. Now parts are bought with thought in mind, not just, "that looks cool" Daz's philosophy, if youre going to do it, do it once and do it properly. You're spending money anyway, spend it properly so you'll never have to worry about what you just bought ever again. Now most of the parts have a reason behind them. I'll try to include these in the picture descriptions.

Hmmm, next is conrod selection.

Looking for pics, be back soon.

Here are the rods i mated to the pistons. The reason I chose the Trust/Greddy H-beam rods for the over HKS ones was because the Trust rods are actually manufactured by Carrillo industries. I'm sure the HKS ones are no different, they would be just as strong and just as reliable. I think because carrillo have been in this game since day dot seemed to put my mind more at ease. These come with CARR bolts that never need to be replaced.

Fancy packaging etc.....

a4cd644d.jpg

b.jpg

Once all its clothes were removed, this is what they looked like. Nothing like the sexy HKS rods. Looked boring and EAGLEish. (NO OFFENCE INTENDED TO THOSE THAT USE EAGLE RODS! im sure they're great too!) :blink: Nothing to indicate that they are from Carrillo except the CARR bolts. The new Trust rods have Carrillo and Greddy laser etched onto them. This was an older set that i bought yonks ago.

d8359288.jpg

The HKS rods really are sexy though. Here is one i prepared earlier. This is Darrens "Rod" used in his 2.8L engine.

b-1.jpg