SAU Community

R33 Gts-t Awd Conversion

Hey Guys, I'm wondering if its possible to convert my GTS-T to AWD. Now im not thinking of doing a full GTR conversion, I want to keep the RB25. Any advice would be great.

Cheers

its not exactly the easiest conversion but its doable.... ive already gone through all this b4.... all gtr components bolt straight up etc.... the annoying part is making the attessa work.... if u can get all lines reservoir computer wiring etc u can make it work.... the only problem aswell is the transfer case fouls the tunnel due to it being rwd factory floor pan but thats easy sorted and if u wanna keep ur rb25 im not 100% sure if the stagea sump will suite i dont see y not but i guess get a stagea awd sump from the 25 version check diff ratios etc... that side im not sure.... its alot of work and alot of money... make u think y bother and just buy a gtr least u get the pumped guards looks aswell..... but yeh gr8 idea still. let me know how it goes

Short answer as it has been covered many times.

You can do it, but there are a lot of things you need to get hold of and it will be costly. If you were given for free what you need it would be worth doing just for the fun factor of the build.

You'd be better off buying a GT-R or Gts-4 if you want AWD.

Use the search function and you'll find what you're looking for.

Cheers for the summing it up for me guys.

"the only problem aswell is the transfer case fouls the tunnel due to it being rwd factory floor pan but thats easy sorted"

Exactly what I didn't want to know. How is this overcome? Expensive?

Thanks again

a stagea 4wd sump wont work because they are just a normal gtr sump, u really need either a stagea rb25 engine thats already 4wd (they have the bolt pattern on the block to suit the 4wd and 2wd sumps and the normal 2wd rb25s only have the 2wd sump bolt pattern), or u can buy a rb30 sump adaptor i suppose and use that.

The amount of money you'd spend would be more if you were to source everything you need, than if you sold your RWD and purchased a Gts-4.

The other factor is that finding everything you need. You'd have more luck finding an honest cop than finding all of your parts.

The engine/sump/diff combo, the ECU, engine/dash/rear wiring harnesses, rear reservoir, rear diff, accelerometer, etc....

Good luck finding it all.

Really man, just sell your current beast if you really, really want one.

That's the best advice I can give.

All wheel drive conversions are only worth doing on cars that didn't have an all wheel drive model.

That's the long and short of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Cheers for the summing it up for me guys.

"the only problem aswell is the transfer case fouls the tunnel due to it being rwd factory floor pan but thats easy sorted"

Exactly what I didn't want to know. How is this overcome? Expensive?

Thanks again

I assume you are wanting to use GTR ATTESSA?

In that case its MUCH more complex than just chopping up your floor plan.

You have to get the ATTESSA working via G Sensors and all the rest of it electrically, its not just a mechanical conversion.

If you want to keep the RB25 - buy a GTR and put the RB25 in there. Easiest and cheapest way...

Although why you would do that is beyond me. Same as everyone else that dreams about doing it - and i say dream because reality is its pointless - ends up doing the costing and just gives up.

• 8 years later...

Waking up an old thread here rather than start yet another new one on the same subject. 

Let me start by stating this... in my country we are not allowed to import any vehicle over 2 years old.

car PARTS can be imported for old vehicles but the body can  not be imported.

There are no R33 GTRs here. There is however a GTS-T which is up for sale.

I'm looking at buying this R33 GTS-T if it is possible to fully convert it to GTR spec.

the question is this... if I buy the GTS-T, then buy a GTR in Japan and get it stripped and all the parts other than the body sent over here, will everything bolt on to the GTS-T body ? (Yes I know the rear quarter panels need to be cut out and swapped)

someone on another forum mentioned that the GTR chassis legs curved upwards allowing for the front drive shafts. Implying that the GTS-T chassis legs are different.

What is the true fact here ?

can the swap I'm suggesting be done ?

doingvthe huge amount of work involved is not an issue as I have a fully equipped workshop and skilled mechanics.

wecare currently doing a Stagea  conversion in the same manner. Converting a the body of a base non turbo RWD 25G model to 25T RS-V from Japan.