SAU Community

Jspec Imports

ips

Has anyone imported their vehicle through j specs if so how would you rate them. I am looking to use them for a car but not sure if they will disappear with my money in japan or send a car different from the photos with carefully disguised problems. Thanks john

haven't used them but looking for someone to help me possibly import, but I can say J-spec won't disappear with your money they've been around for years. I actually should shoot them an email also.

I imported my levin through J-spec. I found Ben to be quite helpful, answering all of my questions. There was some confusion over which car was which... but he stuck with it and got it sorted, made sure the car I wanted was the car I got. (Aside from the condition... the only describable difference was 15 inch Enkei RPF1's.... ).

Car arrived and the clutch was shagged, guy at the compliance workshop was pretty sure it was coz of the guys in Customs\quarantine giving it some 'welcome to Australia' love. It also still had snow chains fitted... front and rear.I had budgeted to replace the clutch anyway....

Not sure if I'll go back to J-spec next time (I'm planning to buy a Manual S2 R33 coupe with the Active LSD later this year), But I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend them, I found Ben to be very honest in his dealings. I will say, I found dealing with them to be really easy, My mate imported his levin through the compliance workshop, and he ended up having to do more ringing around than I did!

Reguardless of who you go through... make it easier on yourself and make sure you've got extra money in case things go wrong, or the ability to get your hands on that $$$$ (Credit card). Nobody likes having to chase you for money. I took the precaution of applying for a credit card when I imported my car.

I was IT Contracting at the time, and as this was over Christmas I had a few weeks with no pay... and then a major stuff up with my pay after that. I ended up not getting paid from the day I paid for my car... until the day before I was due to fly down and collect the car from the compliance workshop (it was in Sydney... I'm on the Sunshine Coast).

Hi John,

I did a quick search on this forum alone and came up with a few posts that might help you, actually there were WAY too many results so I got bored quickly :) There are many more out there

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Co...er-t130367.html

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Gt...amp;pid=3783458

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Im...ey-t217533.html

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Pu....html&st=40

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Im...anu-t98555.html

And that's just this forum. Also if you Google our name you'll get tons of info.

Wow look at that, hes even here!

Sorry to hijack, but later this year when I'm hunting for a 33... What kinda dollar value should I be looking at to import a Series 2 coupe, manual one in a colour other than silver? I'd like say, that dark blue(I swear they are all silver). Preferabley with an active LSD. Just an approximate so I know how much damage I'll do to the wallet :)

I'd PM but I haven't got 10 posts yet.

R33 prices will vary quite a bit for different condition and mileage so it depends what you're after, but probably between $11,000 - $14,000 landed and complied... you can pay less than that, but often they'll be that cheap for a reason. Active LSD is rare so that could be difficult, BN6 blue is a sweet colour (there's a purple pearl in the sunlight) but it's also a little tricky to find, but not impossible.

Edited by Blipman

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used them to import my R33 a while back. They were quite helpful but communication was difficult at times. Also, make sure you are familiar with the entire importing process as back then I didnt know much and wasnt told much either unfortuantely

Hi

We imported the wifes Stagea through these guys, we were a bit green to the whole import scene , yes communications was a bit patchy at times, but that was over 6 years ago.

To be honest I am looking to sell my s15 and import another car using J-spec , so yeah.. I would rate them.

All i can say is be ready with your $$ , as we got told with 1 days notice we had to pay the landing fee ( or something like that ) and yeah that was a fair bit of $$ and this was all before paypal etc made everything so easy.

In summary , I rate em :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just imported through Iron Chef and saw my car for the first time this morning, no surprises, clear communication, quick responses etc

Highly recommended

But yeah, quick payment for shipping is required otherwise you incur more storage fees

I got my M35 through J-Spec and, being totally new to importing, I was VERY pleased with the communication, willingness and outcome of the whole process.

Ben knew what I wanted and we searched for a couple of weeks with not really any luck, he suggested a couple of cars that were slightly off my list and I wasn't really too keen on those.. Then, the day came with 3 good cars up all at once. I didn't get the two in my spec.. but he told me that I needed to consider this other one (Blue, which I really didn't want at the time) and pointed out that it was particularly good example.

I checked it out, it was easily the best car of the lot (and have barely seen anything that compares to it since for cost and condition) so I went for it.
Now I LOVE the colour and still have the best car off the list...

CANNOT RECOMMEND HIGHLY ENOUGH!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi guys,

Just wanted to add my experience to this post.

So far my car has been sourced by J-spec and has now landed in Australia and should be in the midst of the compliance process.

I'll admit Ben is a very nice guy to deal with especially at the start and won't run off with your money. However as stated before it is sometimes hard to get ahold of him.

Haven't seen the car yet in person, I will have a professional pull it apart to see if it matches everything I have been told by J-spec.

After I get a look at the car and get the professional report I'll come back and post a finished review.

• 3 months later...

Just about to pick up an R34 tomorrow we imported through J-spec and all went really smoothly - Ben found a couple of options, and from what I've seen - the car is in great condition - Bespoke have done the compliance and got through the roadworthy pretty lightly which was great.

Overall very happy and would use him again.

I post a question in one of the general forums, but does anyone have any suggestions re insurance - have cover with Just Car insurance now but its $1,400 pa! and that's with a rating 1.

• 2 years later...

I imported via Ben lippa at j-spec j spec imports the experience was really horrifying. Bought car in DEC 2016 and paid for the very next day. Car wasn't shipped until March 2017. Was never sent photos. When questioned, everything was blamed because it was bought before Christmas time (a very lame excuse). OK, it landed and was supposed to be complied via bespoke (Ben lippa recommended). It was supposed to be complied in Adelaide as I live in SA but Ben lippa suddenly changed the agreement after the car landed in transit melbourne and said that they will comply in Melbourne for $3000 (all the while it was agreed to comply in adelaide) and then shipped to SA and then I can straightaway register in SA. I actually ended up paying $4000 for compliance. Anyway the car arrived in SA and when I took it for inspection to register, the SA transport said that I have to do the compliance all over again. Now, Ben Lippa and bespoke motors have washed hands. Sadly, I have to take Ben Lippa to tribunal. He's a dishonest unscrupulous guy. Stay well clear. I didn't do my research well and wasn't even aware of Iron chef imports right here in Adelaide. I will definitely be importing with ironchef imports in future

16 hours ago, Solomon said:

I imported via Ben lippa at j-spec j spec imports the experience was really horrifying. Bought car in DEC 2016 and paid for the very next day. Car wasn't shipped until March 2017. Was never sent photos. When questioned, everything was blamed because it was bought before Christmas time (a very lame excuse). OK, it landed and was supposed to be complied via bespoke (Ben lippa recommended). It was supposed to be complied in Adelaide as I live in SA but Ben lippa suddenly changed the agreement after the car landed in transit melbourne and said that they will comply in Melbourne for $3000 (all the while it was agreed to comply in adelaide) and then shipped to SA and then I can straightaway register in SA. I actually ended up paying $4000 for compliance. Anyway the car arrived in SA and when I took it for inspection to register, the SA transport said that I have to do the compliance all over again. Now, Ben Lippa and bespoke motors have washed hands. Sadly, I have to take Ben Lippa to tribunal. He's a dishonest unscrupulous guy. Stay well clear. I didn't do my research well and wasn't even aware of Iron chef imports right here in Adelaide. I will definitely be importing with ironchef imports in future

Surprising to hear. I had an excellent experience with him as have many others I know. Shipping and compliance time frames are almost completely out of the importers hands. My old car sat in compliance for over 8 weeks, even though it was only supposed to take 5 or 6. However the car shipped over a week earlier than it was supposed to. It's very hit and miss. I do buy the Christmas excuse, it would be a legitimate reason - although a 2-3 month delay I can't vouch for. 

$4000 in compliance costs sounds a little high. I seem to remember paying less than half that and it included 3 months rego, however the car didn't require tyres or any other major expenses. Are you sure you weren't informed of any issues the car may have had prior to purchasing it? I recall Ben being extremely thorough, down to the smallest of marks on the paint. 

Sucks to hear you had such a rough experience. Just curious, what car did you buy?

• Like 1