SAU Community

Power Fc Boost Control Problems

BK

Got a power fc on my R33 GTR with the boost control kit. It has worked excellent for the past 4 years but has now stopped working properly. The car pulls 16 psi on just the hks actuators and pulls 19-20 with the boost control on. Now it is working but it isn't - read on. The self learn value doesn't change anymore when the duty value is changed. It used to change very easily but now won't move from 255. Also the MAP sensor to the power fc seems to be reading low and I don't have as much solenoid noise now either. It used to be a ticking sound that got faster with the boost increase, now it comes and goes.

Doesn't matter whether I set the duty % to 60 or 90 the boost will not go over 20 psi on my gauge and is reading on controller screen as around 1.15 bar. This all seemed to start after I blew an intercooler hose off one day. Could the rich mixtures from this damage something related to this ?

Followed car wiring for solenoid and is all ok from fuses to ECU harness.

Have I damaged the MAP sensor and does it affect boost control ? (thought is was only for displaying boost)

Is the solenoid partially faulty ? (Solenoid opens and shuts when 12v applied to wiring and is working up to 20psi)

Is my solenoid output on the power fc possibly faulty ?

Was going to try another power fc but don't know if the PRO unit I have works properly on an R33.

Please help as I don't really want to go to a stand alone boost controller, the less screens the better.

Got a power fc on my R33 GTR with the boost control kit. It has worked excellent for the past 4 years but has now stopped working properly. The car pulls 16 psi on just the hks actuators and pulls 19-20 with the boost control on. Now it is working but it isn't - read on. The self learn value doesn't change anymore when the duty value is changed. It used to change very easily but now won't move from 255. Also the MAP sensor to the power fc seems to be reading low and I don't have as much solenoid noise now either. It used to be a ticking sound that got faster with the boost increase, now it comes and goes.

Doesn't matter whether I set the duty % to 60 or 90 the boost will not go over 20 psi on my gauge and is reading on controller screen as around 1.15 bar. This all seemed to start after I blew an intercooler hose off one day. Could the rich mixtures from this damage something related to this ?

Followed car wiring for solenoid and is all ok from fuses to ECU harness.

Have I damaged the MAP sensor and does it affect boost control ? (thought is was only for displaying boost)

Is the solenoid partially faulty ? (Solenoid opens and shuts when 12v applied to wiring and is working up to 20psi)

Is my solenoid output on the power fc possibly faulty ?

Was going to try another power fc but don't know if the PRO unit I have works properly on an R33.

Please help as I don't really want to go to a stand alone boost controller, the less screens the better.

Ask your mechanic to place pressure on the vaccum and pressure side of your wastegates.

Your wastgates may be f#$ked, happened to me. It was leaking pressure.

Cheers

Highly doubt the HKS wastegates in the turbo is leaking or else I wouldn't even make 16 -20 psi of boost. If you're referring to the actuators leaking, a leak would make my boost higher as would not be getting the pressure to push open the wastegate. I'm starting to think my solenoid isn't pulsing correctly or the output from the power fc is malfuntioning.

Ok I tried my power fc pro and the same thing happens as the normal one, No real control over my boost levels. Now that's telling me that the L jetro Power fc I was unsing has nothing wrong with it. I've taken the rubber mount under the apexi solenoid out so I can hear it pulsing from inside the car. Very strange things happening here. With the boost control setting turned off the solenoid cycling noise can be heard as soon as you accelerate, but with it on - nothing.

This is very wierd.

Ok time to buy a complete new apexi boost control kit. Sounds like my solenoid or MAP sensor is stuffed (even though the boost reads on the hand controller. ?!) Somebody give me a hand !

• 2 weeks later...

OK problem fixed. Thanks everyone for not even giving me some decent or any responses. I tried different power fc, full new apexi boost control setup, checking CAS, checking hks actuators - nothing same problem. Car would only increase psi to 18 - 19 odd over actuators 16. The car felt actually slower than when it was bog stock. Then it dawned on me - what would cause the car to feel shit over entire rev range and build boost really slowly, and only allow a small increase in boost pressure up top ?

BACK PRESSURE IN THE EXHAUST. I thought ok maybe the cat is a bit stuffed and I'll get a dyno run just to confirm what power I actually have now (used to make 330kw tuned 5 years ago). Turned out to be in the 250rwkW region !!!

With HKS GT-SS turbos I was absolutely shocked ! Removed the cat and what do you know - the car made 360 kW ! That's a massive loss in anyones language, all caused by one cat that really didn't look that bad. Well that's done it for me, no more cats ever, EVER again.

The cat in question was a 100mm magic cat. Well they can shove them you know where as the car didn't even travel 10k.

Is there any such thing as a good catalytic converter ? If there is I'd like to hear what brand or type as these were supposed to be the goods. Finally I might get my 11 after all ! Cheers everyone.

Edited by BK

OK problem fixed. Thanks everyone for not even giving me some decent or any responses. I tried different power fc, full new apexi boost control setup, checking CAS, checking hks actuators - nothing same problem. Car would only increase psi to 18 - 19 odd over actuators 16. The car felt actually slower than when it was bog stock. Then it dawned on me - what would cause the car to feel shit over entire rev range and build boost really slowly, and only allow a small increase in boost pressure up top ?

BACK PRESSURE IN THE EXHAUST. I thought ok maybe the cat is a bit stuffed and I'll get a dyno run just to confirm what power I actually have now (used to make 330kw tuned 5 years ago). Turned out to be in the 250rwkW region !!!

With HKS GT-SS turbos I was absolutely shocked ! Removed the cat and what do you know - the car made 360 kW ! That's a massive loss in anyones language, all caused by one cat that really didn't look that bad. Well that's done it for me, no more cats ever, EVER again.

The cat in question was a 100mm magic cat. Well they can shove them you know where as the car didn't even travel 10k.

Is there any such thing as a good catalytic converter ? If there is I'd like to hear what brand or type as these were supposed to be the goods. Finally I might get my 11 after all ! Cheers everyone.

Yeh its a bitch no one had any replies for you man.I would love to run my car without a cat but its a daily as well as my thrasher so its kinda out of the question.Was this cat you had on a ceramic or metal cat?Im looking for a better alternative to my X force ceramic cat at the moment.All the best man.

As to your question about the Cat Ben

I use a Hi-Flow X Force Metal Cat and it seems to do the trick for me mate.....i kept chucking in stock cats and my car would just blast it out like noting so far been on this X-Force cat for about a year now without any problems.....

Hope it helps

Cheers

Krishy

i suggest you give the guys from Catco a call...the guy you need to speak to is Kosta - 1800443569. explain your situation and he will suggest something for you and have it made in a day or two...top bloke!