SAU Community

Why Are R34 Gt-r Still So Expensive

IMO anything over $15k for a relatively stock GTR is rude.

R33 GTR's the general cost is around 500,000Y to 800,000Y and can be in your driveway for around $13-16K

hey mate, can u please sell me a few of these R33 GTR's?

i've never seen R33 GTR's at 13k, 15k or even 16k. Seen a few in the low-mid 20's and you get what you pay for with those ones..

anyway, i see your a business trader, so if you can do it, i'll take 4 of them and i could pick them up this saturday. im not joking.

how do we go about organising this? im in sydney.

please PM me.

cheers!

Edited by KR4-GTR

The usual cost for an R32 GTR is between 300,000Y and 500,000 Yen and can be in your driveway for around $11-12, They are a 20+ YO car and condition really only comes down to the paintwork now which for the real cost means nothing as a respray and reupholster will still be cheaper than the majority of GTR's for sale.

Engine condition is not important these days as its a GTR and will end up spinning a bearing. :)

IMO anything over $15k for a relatively stock GTR is rude.

R33 GTR's the general cost is around 500,000Y to 800,000Y and can be in your driveway for around $13-16K

My 2 cents.

Wow. What a bunch of crap.

All the cars you are talking about are shit boxes. When I was in Japan I saw a few R32 GTR's selling for $45,000 AUD at a dealership unlike most of the auction crap you are talking about.

Engine condition is not important????? :sick: Ahhh ofcourse, I was getting it wrong all this time. Next car I buy I wont even inspect or test in any way because nothing matters as long as its cheap.

i've never seen R33 GTR's at 13k, 15k or even 16k. Seen a few in the low-mid 20's and you get what you pay for with those ones..

anyway, i see your a business trader, so if you can do it, i'll take 4 of them and i could pick them up this saturday. im not joking.

please PM me.

cheers!

theres one on jspec now for about $16K but the condition isn't the best

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=14908

All the cars you are talking about are shit boxes. When I was in Japan I saw a few R32 GTR's selling for $45,000 AUD at a dealership unlike most of the auction crap you are talking about.

Engine condition is not important????? :) Ahhh ofcourse, I was getting it wrong all this time. Next car I buy I wont even inspect or test in any way because nothing matters as long as its cheap.

your saying what we are all thinking and i admire that. :):sick:

yeah but those ones simply look suss :sick: haha seriously, plus rego + tyres + slips and the rest of the necessary money you would spend / have to put aside for a rainy day with almost any second hand 14 year old car would still stick it into the low 20's.

if you look through jspec - they still sell the respectable GTR's for the AU going rate + tyres + rego - etc. high 20's, which once on the road - would end up in the low 30's. jspec dont appear to be stupid. :) an example - this non vspec series 3 - http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=14889

im prepared to hang out and see what slide has to offer. from what he is saying - looks like he can get top of the line respectable GTR's for 15k - as he advised that its rude to sell them for any more than that. as a business trader, i believe he would be a man of his word and im willing to give him a chance to see what he comes through with.

slide - as requested, i was putting money aside for a 34 GTR, but willing to dump that cash into 4 seperate 33 GTR's instead @ your advised price guides. (again - not kidding mate, please dont let me down!) :)

Edited by KR4-GTR

My god there is a lot of complete crap in this thread! - Some people should refrain from posting when they clearly have NO idea about importing a car from Japan nor experience in the calibre of cars that come through most Japanese auction houses.

theres one on jspec now for about $16K but the condition isn't the best

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=14908

OMFG!

This just proves the point.

I know as does just about everyone on this forum that there are lots of cheap GTR's on j-spec. Go to Japan and have a look at the crap they auction for these prices and comare it for the GTR's for sale in dealerships.

Believe it or not most of these cars that go to auction are cheap because they are crap, nobody in Japan wants them.... :)

"You get what you pay for"

In my opinion, normally the term best condition would be for the car to have below average mileage, interior/exterior condition and mods. You will probably find most 34GTR that are priced around 45-50k (vspec or not doesnt matter they're about the same price, +-5k). Its only the Vspec2 and Mspec are worth more (along with those limited edition ones).

As much as we know mileage can be tempered with, mileage does play 1 of the 2 biggest part in the pricing of the car. And 2nd factor would most probably be car being stock standard with no engine mods. Look, I'm not saying those modded cars with high power output arent sought after but they're just harder to find a buyer for (its normally one who shares the same thought that'll buy a heavily modified car).

And maybe you can import a 33GTR for below 20k but you will not what you're getting until it gets here. If it turns out to have a few problem here and there you'll easily end up spending more than 20k in total for the whole car. Back to the 2 factors which I consider buying a car, mileage. That car has more than 150,000km ffs. Yes you can rebuild the engine but so? How much will you be spending for that? That money you spend for rebuilt will more than likely be going down the drain when you want to sell it (you do not add your mods to your selling price unless its special, reminded me of this girl that bought her 33gtst for something like 15k puts a few mods on and decided to sell it for 18k or 20k, you get what I mean).

Before I got my car, I've looked at 3 others. They're all around 20-27k and after speaking to the owners, 3 out of the 3 were on bank loans. Which kinda make what Slide said to be senseful and true to certain extend. If they're on a loan, they wouldnt want to make a big loss from reselling ths car and hence the price for local GTR stands firm. Also the condition of the 3 cars are probably 30-40% of mine. That points out what you get what you pay for mentality most of us' got.

As I was also looking at getting a 34GTR before, I've got my own import calculator. For the price Slide has quoted,

FOB: 800,000 YEN

Xrate: 74.00

FOB: $10,811 AUD

TT: $22

Wharf/Shipping: $2,000

Import Duty & GST: $2,470

Compliance: $3,080

Rego (QLD): $800

Stamp Duty: $550

Tyres: $1000

Alarm: $700

Thats 22k based on the 800k excluding insurance as it vary with age (only around 3k cheaper than local). So it does seem that importing is cheaper but hasnt that ALWAY been the case? The fact that you're buying locally, you WILL be paying more or at least 99% of the time because you can see, feel, touch and drive it before buying (not to mention you dont have to wait 2-3months to import and all the hassle along with it). But seriously the last I saw on autosquare, most of the auction house have the better conditioned 33GTR starting AT around 600k to 800k mark and normally they'll end slightly more than 1mil.

But on a 2nd note, I think 15k sound reasonable if you want a shell and heavily mod it.

slide - as requested, i was putting money aside for a 34 GTR, but willing to dump that cash into 4 seperate 33 GTR's instead @ your advised price guides. (again - not kidding mate, please dont let me down!) :)

slide, just a follow up - havent heard back from you in this thread or via pm. how are we going with this?

as advised, i am prepared to purchase 4x excellent condition R33 GTR's from you at your advised price guides - 13k - 16k each - on the road and am ready to pick up any time this weekend. funds are ready. colour is not important.

cheers mate.

edit - a bit random, but im also looking for a profec b spec II boost controller for my own GTR, so if you have one i'll take one of those too? new or used - i dont mind.

Edited by KR4-GTR

Since this OP began, the M3 has dropped even more.

Am I joking?

Well, consider this:-

I get a letter in the mail from Canterbury BMW (where our Fam has bought a 320i & 328Ci previously) urging us to take advantage of

EOFYS for tax. This of course pushed down 2nd hand car values - just an itsy bitsy bit more. :yes:

slide, just a follow up - havent heard back from you in this thread or via pm. how are we going with this?

as advised, i am prepared to purchase 4x excellent condition R33 GTR's from you at your advised price guides - 13k - 16k each - on the road and am ready to pick up any time this weekend. funds are ready. colour is not important.

cheers mate.

edit - a bit random, but im also looking for a profec b spec II boost controller for my own GTR, so if you have one i'll take one of those too? new or used - i dont mind.

Obviously he's full of shit

I thought that would get a few peoples panties stuck. I forgot about the thread sorry.

Engine condition is not important????? :) Ahhh ofcourse, I was getting it wrong all this time. Next car I buy I wont even inspect or test in any way because nothing matters as long as its cheap.

Thinking that regular Skylines are somewhat of an investment is a bit of a laugh.

If you are willing to pay $45000 for a 20 year old standard? car that can be purchased for much much less then go for it, its your money and i never wanted to stop anyone from paying more for the car they want. I simply stated that cars can be purchased for much less than what people are asking for them in Australia for very much the same quality.

Accepting the car is old is one thing for people that own them to come to grips with, expecting them all to be in near new and perfect condition is definitely not to be another. There are plenty of good condition cars on offer though for prices that will not give your account balance and partner a brain tumor.

Buying from a dealership will obviously inherit a larger price tag though having said that there is nothing to the above letting us know the extent of modifications done to the cars selling at the price you have said.

If they are standard, that's unbelievable.

I have an R32 GTR and an RX7 coming over now which was a basis for the above estimate with the R32 GTR costing me 310000 Yen.

It is in good condition inside and out with a genuine 88k with log books and wont have a problem getting compliance and being registered and the car is very much standard.

The comment about the engine being not important is a dig to most GTR owners that know me. Any person buying a car that is 20 years old must appreciate that the chances of the engine spinning a bearing or something oil related failing is a high probability sooner or later regardless of km's if the car is being used for anything more than to the shops every couple of days. A couple of track days will generally do damage to a lot of people's bank balances when these issues arise.

There are a huge amount of people though that drive their car only 52 times per year on the last day of every week who may see an oil change each year and these cars are generally the ones in immaculate condition.

In comparison to a lot of cars for sale here on the forums and carsales etc though i don't believe the above written to be crap at all.

I offered the above as a matter of fact and opinion as along with the thread starter i believe the prices are stupidly high for all imports.

If you are going to spend 45k on a GTR that is 20 years old go a bit further and visit Rocky Auto for some real GTR's.

please PM me.

cheers!

I don't know if there are any registered traders on SAU that actually specialize in importing or broking per say though there are plenty of brokers and importers that post in the import section who will lend a hand in finding them an helping you bring cars over for a fee. Plenty at auction all the time and many at yards in Japan.

Having also just come back from Japan there are plenty at auction all the time in similar condition to the majority on Australian roads for the above prices.

I can see how it may offend people stating the value of cars well under what most sell for though any car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it and in Japan with the right people what someone will only pay for it.

I deal with brokers bringing cars over just like anyone else. (Parts is what Sliding Performance is about), its cheap enough to pay for a broker to deal with any issues that may occur outside your (could be bothered range).

cheers mate.

Profec B's in stock for $495 Delivered :)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Tr...op-t188592.html

I personally wouldn't use the word excellent in the same sentence with any import and didn't in the above.

There is one gun metal R32 GTR on SAy that has been built from the ground up literally which may be the only occasion i would and it would also be the only car in close to standard form worth $45k with all the money and time spent on it.

If you are after 4 cars i would definitely do it yourself, get yourself a 40 foot container, a broker, a return plane ticket and a welder and mount 2 cars on top of the 2 below and load them on a boat.

I will be back in Japan in September and will be bringing a 40 footer over.

If you are keen at this time and have located some cars in Japan or want to do it over there then let me know.

If you are bringing them over to sell i would definitely recommend going to Japan to get them.

Judging by the amount they are going for at the moment you will definitely be able to offset 10-20 trips selling them at the prices they are going for at the moment.

There are also a few bargains always floating around in Australia with rolling R32 GTR shells for $3-6k, add an engine and gearbox and any parts required and you still have yourself a massive bargain compared to the norm.

I'm not here to offend people, just to inform people that they should really consider private imports and speaking with a broker at the very least to save themselves a lot of money at the cost of a few months wait.

i am also not here to sell cars guys so the above wasn't an advertisement either.

erm... I believe most of us would have spoken to at least 1 or 2 brokers before making these comments? At least for me, I've spoken to Mick from SVI (in person), the Baron himself, Jspec and Mark Hocking (through phone). What you got from them is pretty much advise you need in determining if your budget is feasible. The price they charge can vary but it really boils down to what condition of a car you're after and if they can source it for you. And seriously MAYBE you can get yourself a good buy but MAYBE that'll come on once every 1 or 2yrs? Not everyone is willing to wait. Or MAYBE you should speak to them to confirm if what we say make any sense (10k for 32GTR land/complied/onroad??). Also, not everyone is into massive power mods etc. A lot of people just buy a good condition stock car and baby it like I do.

The price stated by everyone else would be the reasonable range I believe. 32GTR for 18-25k, 33GTR for 25-30k and 34GTR for 45-60k. If you look at the price and age, thats probably why a lot of people are leaning towards 33GTR. Oh yea this would be based on non-limited editions as well.

Q You know that R34 GTRs are still holding their value. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted this thread. Had you thought of importing one yourself as in the post above?

Reason:- Not long ago, an SAUer in Vic was offered $68K for his '99 VS II (by another SAUer from WA) and knocked it back. And he's not the only example = I know!

what the hell man... got any pics or a link to the convo??

Look at one of 'Johnny's' posts this week :banana:

I will be back in Japan in September and will be bringing a 40 footer over.

If you are keen at this time and have located some cars in Japan or want to do it over there then let me know.

If you are bringing them over to sell i would definitely recommend going to Japan to get them.

Judging by the amount they are going for at the moment you will definitely be able to offset 10-20 trips selling them at the prices they are going for at the moment.

hi slide! great to hear back from you.

i'll level with you - yes i wanted them to resell! :) i had 3 guys on the spot which were prepared to pay up to or just under 30k each for them. one of the guys wanted one so bad that he offered me $35.5k for mine! i also wanted one for myself as a project car.

lets see how we are tracking just before september - i'll keep you in mind, would love if you could do the same! :)

cheers!

Edited by KR4-GTR