SAU Community

Changing Diff Ratio In R32 Gtr From Std To 4.3/4.4

SRB

i want to get shorter diff gear ratio for 32 GTR

where can i have this done in sydney or brisbane

i think factory is 4.1 and i wanna go 4.3 or 4.4

any help is appreciated

thanks

You will need to get the rear diff out o the GTS4 skyline Na which came with the 4.4 ratios or otherwise out of the auto stagea they came with the 4.34 etc close to 4.4 thats where i got mine from, then also the gears for the front as well to suit.You will then want to get a mechanical LSD as they are not so it will become an exspensive procedure in the end between buying parts ,getting mechanical lsd, labour to do all work.

The best place that i have used and also know of alot of that alot of mechanics and enthusiast use is Award diff & gearbox 96246600 give them a call they are located in Sydney area.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

Dave

Easiest way to get the front ratio is to bolt the whole sump on (either gts4 or stagea depending which ratio you want) they are all the same.

In the rear you get the housing from the new ratio, and put back in the gtr centre and align it all up.

Like Dave I used Award for my rear diff, they did a great job

You will need to get the rear diff out o the GTS4 skyline Na which came with the 4.4 ratios or otherwise out of the auto stagea they came with the 4.34 etc
The autos come with 4.08:1 (well, that's the gearing that came with the Stagea engine I dropped into my R32 GTS4). R32 GTS4 is 4.375:1

It's probably simpler with the front diff, to just replace the diff itself, rather than the whole sump. And I found that the rear diff is a slightly different shape, so I swapped the internals into the existing diff casing.

• 1 month later...

no, they are all 4.375:1 people call it 4.4 as that is rounded off.

the ones you want are the manual R32 GTS4 diffs which are 35:8 ratio. you must get front and rear and make sure you get all the bits, crown wheels, pinions, the whole shebang. as duncan said to be sure best of getting the whole rear end and front sump. then swap the bits onto your GTR. be aware that doing the front one means engine out as getting the sump off when engine in is pretty much impossible as far as I can see.

front LSD is a good idea while you are there. and also make sure you put the rear gears onto your GTR centre as the rear GTR diff is mech LSD, rear GST4 diff is NOT so you want the new gears onto your current GTR centre.

they are hard to find though! and people who know what they have will charge you an arm and a leg for a complete pair.

yeah $1000 for a pair seems to be about the going rate. I wouldn't pay any more than that though as I can get some brand new from japan for not much more. and they are brand spanking new.

front and rear for $500 if they are complete is a good deal and is about what they used to be a few years ago before everyone started jumping on the wagon. :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

the ones you want are the manual R32 GTS4 diffs which are 35:8 ratio. you must get front and rear and make sure you get all the bits, crown wheels, pinions, the whole shebang. as duncan said to be sure best of getting the whole rear end and front sump. then swap the bits onto your GTR. be aware that doing the front one means engine out as getting the sump off when engine in is pretty much impossible as far as I can see.

front LSD is a good idea while you are there. and also make sure you put the rear gears onto your GTR centre as the rear GTR diff is mech LSD, rear GST4 diff is NOT so you want the new gears onto your current GTR centre.

they are hard to find though! and people who know what they have will charge you an arm and a leg for a complete pair.

Hi i have an r32 gtr and have to replace the front diff i can get a diff but its advertised as an r33 gtr 4.11:1 and my diff is 4.1:1,is it the same or has the guy stuffed up the transaxle code?? i cant seem to find any info at all,just need to no if that diff will go in without changeing the rear etc...Thanks

There are optioned gts4's out there as well I guess.. Punched my vin into fast, auto, turbo, pearl black, and 4.375:1 finals.. (from memory, it was quite a while ago but diff ratio is definitely correct still.)

Edited by heller44

• 8 months later...

ok bringing this back from the dead lol

does it matter if the r32 gts4 manual is turbo or non turbo?

im on the hunt again!!

thx all :bunny:

• 3 weeks later...