SAU Community

Changing Diff Ratio In R32 Gtr From Std To 4.3/4.4

SRB

• 6 months later...

Just a bit of info for those who want to do this.

The front diff in a GTR or GTS4 is an r180 short nose. This is the same diff as many nissans incuding n/a s13's, terrano front, pathfinder front, navara front, pulsar gtir rear to name a few. They aren't always r180's so check first as some are r200 depending on model etc.

I have not done this and won't be as I don't have a 4wd nissan. But in theory you should be able to use the insides from any short nose r180 in your sump. This will make matching ratios easier and open up more available ratios.

An exampe would be using the insides (crown wheel and pinion) from a mid '80's Navara, this is an r180. You could then use the insides from an r200 from the front of a terrano for the rear. Giving you a 4.6 ratio. These 4wd's have a number of ratio's and a number of diff combos. Ratios are 4.3, 4.6 and 4.8 but there may be others too. Navara and Terrano/Pathfinder front diffs can be r180's or r200's.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah like the d-man said to the best of my knowledge the front is a F160 not a F180. F being front and R being rear incase anyone is wondering why there are R200, R180 etc. front GTR diffs are tiny.

it's still worth looking into though if there are other 160 diffs out there but you need to figure out for sure if there are any differences between the F and the R models. I assume crown wheel is the same but the pinnion shaft could be very different.

• 2 weeks later...

Like I said I have not done it and never will, but I have always been told the front diff was an R180 in the GTR and GTS4. I have seen references to the F160 which does put some doubt over it.

If someone has an R180 and a front sump from a 4wd skyline measure them both. That will clear it up.

I have never seen or heard of any short nose R160 diff though, so if it is in fact an R160 there would possibly be no other ratios available.

I doubt that an entirely new diff type was designed and built for only 1 car with only 2 ratios. So I would assume that if it is in fact a 160 there should be other short nose 160's found in something, somewhere.

Long nose 160's and 180's have been around for more than 40 years. They are found in Nissans and Subarus. They are largely interchangeable with minor differences that can be overcome. Short nose 180's and 200's have been around for 25 years plus too. Most of the minor differences can be overcome also.

These diffs are made by Hitachi not Nissan, so they are possibly found in other makes.

Short nose 160's would have to be available from something else, imo. I could be wrong though.

• 1 year later...

Bump :)

Ok, Rb26 is going into my GTs4, so ive already got the gear ratio you are all talking about.

Would there be any implications leaving it as is?

And is this added aceleration not practial for street driving, OR its not that much of a differance.

Surely i must need to change some parts of the Drive train to suit the 26 going in.

Bump :)

Ok, Rb26 is going into my GTs4, so ive already got the gear ratio you are all talking about.

Would there be any implications leaving it as is?

And is this added aceleration not practial for street driving, OR its not that much of a differance.

Surely i must need to change some parts of the Drive train to suit the 26 going in.

Dont change anything, 4.3s are perfect

i have a set of front and rear crown wheels and pinions sitting at home, still tossing up whether to go to the trouble of getting it installed, around 1k mark if i recall correctly

car is mainly used for short drives and not much highway cruising unless going inter-state which will be interesting with higher revs

26 does lack below 4k, so it should liven things up

@dean - are you using the 4.375 diffs in your drag clip at WSID?

• 1 year later...

How much better is acceleration down low?

acceleration will improve down low, by how much is all a matter of personal opinion, some will say it so a lot better and others will say a little bit

• 3 years later...

Ok i'm resurrecting an old thread instead of starting a new one. I have a R34GT-4 manual, it comes with RC 4.3. I'm planning on getting a 33GTR gearbox series 3 as it is stronger. Are there any issues with using a GTR gearbox and the 4.3 ratio?