SAU Community

Power And Reliability Using Stock Rb30e Pistons

works 510

In all reality you can go a long way with std rods and pistons but honestly, if you pay someone to do everything properly you don't save a lot. Have a set of standard rods checked, new bolts fitted, closed and honed, pin bushes replaced etc and see what it costs. Then compare that to a cost of Spool rods, you might save $350-400, if that. Forged pistons will set you back maybe $700 more than a set of cast stock ones, maybe as little as $500.

Compare the price to re-ringing a set of 20 year old factory pistons and doing nothing to the rods and it might seem a big cost but if someone's going down that path the argument is pretty null anyway, the difference between doing it properly with cast pistons/stock rods and forged pistons/aftermarket rods is small. They might cost you $1000 extra but over the total price of the engine, it isn't a huge percentage for the piece of mind it gives you.

Well said, couldn't agree more.

Cheers

Gary

What have you done to the "stock" crank?

Cleaned, crack tested, no knife edging or lightening etc, just a oil pump drive and balancing, so stock as in not an aftermarket billet or knife edged or lighted crank, just as pretty much everyone else runs their RB30 cranks, nothing special about it at all.

Rob

Edited by R.I.P.S NZ

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Buy some insurance here..

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/

I will be using it on my new motor...always a chance at getting a bad batch of fuel. Very hard to keep all bases covered on a servo fed street car. Advanced ECU's like the Motec M800 and Autronic SM4 will also enable you to engage over boost, fuel pressure, EGT, AFR, etc protection limits...the more insurance the better.

Matt

PS All for using a stock bottom end...to cheap to worry about it eventually breaking "if" you have the ability to rebuild yourself.

• 8 years later...
7 years, 1.5 bar + 100hp NOS, 450wkw with nos, low 10s, 7200rpm limit, stock bottom end with new rings and bearings only.

the power your after is effortless on stock pistons, its all in the tune.

Hi rob, remember me ? I have your stock rips bottom end under my 26 big sump tomei pump, custom 2 stage catch tank setup, ati balancer. Currently making 658hp atw been running for 3 years roughly now

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2018 at 6:27 PM, danny14 said:

Is yours still going ?

Mine has had some more work done, JE Pistons, Argo H beam rods, Jun cams, Blitz 4" intercooler etc and it's now a bit over 600 RWHP.  Same crank, head, block, oil pump, water pump and a lot of ancillaries, oil cooler, radiator, fan, BOV's etc.

Cheers

Gary 

32 minutes ago, Sydneykid said:

Mine has had some more work done, JE Pistons, Argo H beam rods, Jun cams, Blitz 4" intercooler etc and it's now a bit over 600 RWHP.  Same crank, head, block, oil pump, water pump and a lot of ancillaries, oil cooler, radiator, fan, BOV's etc.

Cheers

Gary 

Holy shit, you've come back from the dead haha