SAU Community

Ben's R32 Gtst Build

sav man

more work was done on the weekend.

all the sound deadener and tar is now gone :D , after inhailing much throttle body cleaner to get the last reminents of it.

gallery_5985_3354_59582.jpg

gallery_5985_3354_22111.jpg

Damo removed the plastic, goo, and wiring from the passengers door

gallery_5985_3354_1924366.jpg

still have to do the drivers door

gallery_5985_3354_1011573.jpg

now to remove the a/c from the engine bay.

gallery_5985_3354_1561863.jpg

gallery_5985_3354_2010096.jpg

a/c out

gallery_5985_3354_1045465.jpg

lots more room now

gallery_5985_3354_1464128.jpg

now to remove the entire r32 hicas system

gallery_5985_3354_1134331.jpg

gallery_5985_3354_72360.jpg

gone

gallery_5985_3354_1166507.jpg

gallery_5985_3354_859493.jpg

gallery_5985_3354_1287273.jpg

i'm running out of things to remove, i'll have to spend some money on a cage soon.

Noice work Ben.

What are you doing about the electric windows? are you going to keep them or try and fit some old school wind up ones? I was thinking there might be a lot of weight in them?

Keep the good work up :D

the convenice far out weighs the weight. esp for the nav, as i'm going to mount the seat as far back and low as possible, so reaching winders would be a problem

When we took the hicas out of our R32 we also converted over to a R33 power steering pump - only has the single outlet and is less than half of the weight of a R32 pump.

i've been thinking about the brakes lately, and was wondering if it's worth ditching the booster for a consistand pedal? To see if I can get used to the feel of it, can i just disconect the vacume line from the booster? or dosn't that give a true feel. and are aux vacume tanks, worth it if i want to keep the booster?

I thought we were a team Benster? Why wouldn't you call me about this stuff?

What are your thoughts on brakes? Mine had R33 Sumitomos front and rear with slotted rotors and with the light weight, I never once felt it needed more. In fact I still have that entire setup somewhere.....

I grabbed up a good deal and pull the whole GTR Brembo/2-piece rotors etc all round soon after I got it, but I'm dubious on it's worth at this power level? Sure it never runs out of brakes, but is it needed? I'm not sure.....

Now, I will say that with the Brembos installed, matching master cylinder and with the additional GTR resevoir, I could not modulate the pedal to a satisfactory level. The feel was just too masked and lockups were common.

So I ditched the booster, made a billet block to move the master up, modified the pedal, added a brace, and now I like it. It's heavy sure, but at least it has feel. After a full day of Tugga though the lower back ache was creeping in, but you soon forget about that on the next stage :iluvff:

I can confirm just blocking the master cylinder won't give you an accurate vision of what it's like with the booster properly moved and the pedal ratio altered.

NOTE:

You may have noticed this thread has been moved.

SAU Admin have decided to run a new section for "Projects, Overhauls and Build-ups"

As such your thread is a prime example of what we wanted to house in this section.

We have left links in the sections you originally posted also to allow easy access to the threads new home.

Any issues, please feel free to pm myself or N1GTR.

Cheers Col

I thought we were a team Benster? Why wouldn't you call me about this stuff?

oh we are, just thought i'd put it here so other people can get some insite. Don't worry, you be getting calls soon enough once it starts going back together

2.4 litres of course :P

Cheers

Gary

is that legal as per the CAMS tarmac rally reg's? I thought it was 1mm overbore only (and even then, that might be for NA only)

the car falls under M3 regs (section 11 of CAMS manual)

ah no, rb24 isn't legal. the car is being built to aasa regs...which is pretty much the same as cams, but the car can be lighter, and have a big intercooler.

is that legal as per the CAMS tarmac rally reg's? I thought it was 1mm overbore only (and even then, that might be for NA only)

the car falls under M3 regs (section 11 of CAMS manual)

Tell the evo boys that though, a few 2.4 strokers kicking about, shame none of them did much good... really just kidding themselves

ah no, rb24 isn't legal. the car is being built to aasa regs...which is pretty much the same as cams, but the car can be lighter, and have a big intercooler.

I'm planning mine to be CAMS for classic adelaide. can't even change the intercooler. or run a GTR body kit!

trying to work out what the deal is Targa, in modern they let them run coolers and GTR kits, and then some ran in classic last year with RB30 base engines!

you might need to read the rules closer :P and there wasn't any rb30's

Aerodynamic aids must be as originally fitted to the automobile series in production. Front and rear spoilers

may be made from alternative materials but must retain the original shape and dimensions

The series is R32, so you can run the GT-R kit.

Not going to get any work done to it this weekend, helped damo get his car ready today for a track day tomorrow. but i've decided i'm now going to get jason white to make my cage, instead to getting a bond kit. Just got dad's r33 back from him, and he makes a nice cage

Edited by sav man

I'm planning mine to be CAMS for classic adelaide. can't even change the intercooler. or run a GTR body kit!

trying to work out what the deal is Targa, in modern they let them run coolers and GTR kits, and then some ran in classic last year with RB30 base engines!

your first sentence has your answer to all that

its classic Adelaide. full of cheater spec cars from every report i have ever heard. and most of them are over the top obvious.

i believe from my interpretation of the rules that GTR front bar and wing are allowed to be run even under CAMS as you are allowed to put the top level areo kit from that model of car on it.

so GTR wing N1 rear lip. GTR bonnet and N1 bonnet lip and GTR grill and GTR front Bar as its all "Areo" no body kit.

you might need to read the rules closer :) and there wasn't any rb30's

The series is R32, so you can run the GT-R kit.

aha - good point. I was taking the rules too literally when I was reading them I guess!

with regards to the Rb30 bit - typos for both of these entrants (here and here) or am I missing something?

also, can someone explain how it can be eligible for both classic and modern at the same time?

its classic Adelaide. full of cheater spec cars from every report i have ever heard. and most of them are over the top obvious.

with Tim Possingham doing so well the past few years, seems they are coming down a bit harder on turbo imports. doubt they would notice something like a R34 cooler in place of the R32 one though....

besides, it's only cheating when you get caught breaking the rules :)

that is corrected capasity. turbo = 1.4x capasity.

as the r32 went from 1989 to 1993, you can nominate to run in eather classic or modern, as the cut off from classic 1990.

you only get cought if somone protests you...unforinatuy classic porsche drivers are the only ones that don't care if they make themselvs look like bastdards by protesting. there were plenty of illigal cars on the podium this year at targa.