SAU Community

Ben's R32 Gtst Build

sav man

you need to check the regs for the series you want. IPRA (3J) for instance does not allow cage outside the cabin. 3E does. 3D has specific requirements as well (side intrusion etc).

Targa Tas has moved away from CAMS regs....and from a quick look this cage doesn't meet CAMS regs because there is no diagonal at the B pillers, just a lateral bar.

Looks great though and the support points where mutliple bars meet are the goods

you mean a diagonal in the main hoop? if so you don't need one according to the cams manual. the cage is built to cams specs, as the car will be log booked for local circuit.

• 2 weeks later...
i HATE how these motorsport inspired build threads have been moved. I only visit the motorsport section (well mostly) and IMO moving to here has killed the threads.

Just some feedback for you mods/admin.

me too :D unfortunately i'm not a dictator though and there was some support for this section. god knows why but it's where we are at now...

cage looks excellent btw. :D

oh, and suspension wise on a dollar for performance ratio I reckon it's hard to go past a set of Murray's home built proflex. considering the quality of his gear, and the benefit of aussie support for revalving, repair, or replacement it's a great way to go. they are not particularly cheap but considering some of the options run up and over $10K per corner his prices are quickly put in perspective...

well it's been pissing down today, so i couldn't get pics. i'm planning to take the guards off and do some seam welding tommorrow, also after helping damo with his car last weekend, i'm going to remove all of the body sealent, as all it seems to do it seal rust in.

well it's been pissing down today, so i couldn't get pics. i'm planning to take the guards off and do some seam welding tommorrow, also after helping damo with his car last weekend, i'm going to remove all of the body sealent, as all it seems to do it seal rust in.

What ben is trying to say is he is gonna see if he can weld better than me then if not ill be seem welding 2 cars. or he can come and finish mine off.

unfortunately my seam sealer had a special one way water absorbing quality. every where it is the rust will follow.

So envious of the "Two Bens R32 Racing" GTSts :P My thing is sitting idle still trying to be a road car. Love the cage. Is YT reasonably priced as in Melbourne that would be a $4000-6000 cage!

I so want a track car but stranded in friggin India and am changing my mind every 3 days between Caterham, my R32, another R32 or doing what normal people do with the money and buy a Hou...err 2002 Vette :)

The cage was in the $3500-$4000 range. I'm really happy with how it came up.

bloody tassie weather, i preped the front of the car ready to weld, and then it started pissing down again.

pics uploads are being fail atm, so i can't upload pics yet :P

yay pics are working again

preping for welding before the rain...will probably need to go over it again tommorrow

gallery_5985_3354_1963769.jpg

more pics of the cage

gallery_5985_3354_509928.jpg

gallery_5985_3354_101442.jpg

gallery_5985_3354_780606.jpg

gallery_5985_3354_117029.jpg

reson for no main hoop diagonal is that yt only puts them on on request (unless its cro mo), i spoke to him about it, and it's a pain in the arse for putting helmates in the back between stages, and nursing them between stages isn't much fun. unless you have a big hit on the top bend of the main hoop, the other bracing will pick up the force. he's made a lot of cages down here, and quite a few have ended up in the trees, so i was happy with what he said.

the cage work looks great, i like the boxed front legs as well. I remember reading something about the intrusion bars had to be minimum 100mm up from the base plates on the front legs and hoop, is this true? or is it from the floor? or did i read wrong?