SAU Community

Ben's R32 Gtst Build

sav man

I'll be there, but it turns out that the spark plug problem that caused the ecu to miss count trigger teeth and fire 30 deg out caused a fair bit on damage.  The machine shop found a 9 thou bow in the bore, so I pulled all the rings off the pistons to check them, once the rings came off the ring lands fell out.  So i'm going oversized ross pistons, hopefully i'll have everything back this week to put it back together.

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/08/2017 at 11:53 AM, sav man said:

I'll be there, but it turns out that the spark plug problem that caused the ecu to miss count trigger teeth and fire 30 deg out caused a fair bit on damage.  The machine shop found a 9 thou bow in the bore, so I pulled all the rings off the pistons to check them, once the rings came off the ring lands fell out.  So i'm going oversized ross pistons, hopefully i'll have everything back this week to put it back together.

Awesome to hear you'll be there mate, I will be there for tour class too. Fingers crossed for no rain! 

How are the repairs going? 

Rain doesn't hurt haha.  I've heard the road is pretty grippy in the wet.  We'll have to have a beer on the Sunday night

They are coming along well, the engine will be back in the car this weekend.  I've got the head on most of the manifold on.  just need to fit turbo and sump and it's good to go in

21200522_1754795787925741_14341074437029

21167007_1754795791259074_54103636984376

21316196_1762664437138876_72638992817281

Edited by sav man

• 2 weeks later...

Engine is all together and running again.  I took the car for a quick run tonight and there were no leaks, which always makes a day better.  I'kk put some km on it this weekend and it;ll be all ready for snowy river

21731469_1771651812906805_36942275435803

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I should probably update from the past 2 rallies.

The Snowy River sprint was stinking hot, we ended up with 60 deg cabin tempatures.  Unfortunatly we did the weekend on 10psi of boost, as the boost solenoid failed.  But we still set top 3 times most of the weekend with no power.  Luckely for us the event got cut short because of bushfires, the heat had also killed the alternator

I left the car in melb for 3 weeks between Snowy River and GTR.  When I picked it up I replaced the alt and solenoid.

GTR was a better rally.  I had a new nav so we lost a fair bit of time in the morning getting up to speed with each other.  But by the end of the event we were getting stage wins.  We ended up finishing 2nd in the championship, which I can't really complain about since the car was temperamental for most of the year.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thought I better give an update.  I've added R34 GT-R rims onto the car with Dunlop 265's, they only just fit but it's made a big difference to grip.  The last event for the year was the Poatina Mountain Race, we finished 2nd overall to a 360awkw R34 GT-R which wasn't too bad. Especially when rally safe said we were 20km/h down on his top speed.

Plans for 2018 is for some circuit work and maybe some more Mountain Motorsports events.  I want to have a crack at the Targa Championship in the Corvette, so probably less events in the Skyline

25198510_2079894292022538_234812490_o.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

So after a couple of years of doing nothing i've started giving the old girl some love again.  The goal is to build a 2.2l sroker and  run it in classic gt in Targa 2022.

I have replaced the Racepak dash with a motec C125.  The motec is in a different leage as far as what it can do and how well the i2 software works to view the logs.

DSC_0475.JPG

DSC_0478.JPG

DSC_0480.JPG

DSC_0481.JPG

DSC_0484.JPG

I found a fuel sock that would fit propery in the factory pump bracket, hopfully this will stop the car eating fuel pumps.

DSC_0485.JPG

DSC_0486.JPG

Also fitted a rain light to keep cams happy.DSC_0487.JPG

I had to put new seatbelts in to replace the perfectly good but out of dates ones.DSC_0488.JPG

I'll be running the car at the 60th anniversary meeting for Symmons Plains on Oct 24-25.  Still some work to do on the car before then, but it will be good to have it up to date and running again.

Edited by sav man
  • Like 3

On 10/12/2020 at 7:55 AM, ActionDan said:

I reckon I have that sock in a box somewhere lol 

Yay for progress :)

I found it on spares box.  from what i read everyone else hacks up their gtr cradle so the walbro one will work. I couldn't find anywhere that sold the std Nissan one