SAU Community

Ben's R32 Gtst Build

sav man

19 hours ago, Duncan said:

Guess it made it from QLD....but I missed why you need a different shell, is it just a year of manufacture problem?

Cause I want to run Classic GT and Targa are now running with the VIN to determen the build date.  That's why there are now cars spread over different classes.  I'm guessing they don't want classic being flooded with late 80's japanese cars, so they've made it harder

• Like 2

Front running Early modern cars are outright win fast, R35 GTR or Liam's R33 for instance :)

Targa changed the rules so the overall winner is declared from GT2, rather than being the fastest car home, because the EM cars were threatening wins

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Komdotkom said:

Why do you want to run in classic GT? I would have thought you'd be more competitive in EM? I know you have more freedom but some of the stuff running in classic GT is pretty crazy.

EM has always been a pretty unloved category from Targa's side (even though it did hold the bulk of the field).  My EM times from the past seem to be on par if not slightly quicker than the current Classic GT cars. Then i'll have the extra engine/gearbox/Tyre site/fuel freedoms over EM. So it should be a good challenge.

Pete Nunn was the fasest Classic GT runner of the past few years and he was running a EM spec 944 Turbo.  I think poeple are getting far to worked up over the LS being in classic, the Holden V8 made heaps of power under the rules.  But you can run a LS for about a 10th of the price.

I can't keep up with the rule changes, they seem to change them every year.

Mine is an 89 shell so I suppose I can run in a few classes since mine is fairly standard looking from the outside. It would be nice to have a better turbo and manifold combo though so it doesn't choke the engine.

Slightly off topic, reading the regs for EM2 it states The original waste gate or boost control actuator as fitted to the original turbo charger must be retained.

Do you read this to mean at the exclusion of all other wastegates, or can I just keep it all in place (welded shut) and run a second wastegate.

1 hour ago, ActionDan said:

To me that says keep it in place, doesn't say you cannot modify it (weld shut and run external). 

To me that means you can swap turbo as long you keep the actuator itself, which is dumb. 

You can only highflow in the original housings, I've had Hypergear make a ceramic ball bearing unit for mine with billet wheel and so on.

5. SINGLE TURBO CHARGERS
Each turbo charger must use the original manufacturer’s exhaust and compressor housings which must retain all external standard specifications. It is permitted to replace the core assembly including the compressor and exhaust turbine assemblies with a free component in which case only the internal standard specifications of the original exhaust and compressor housings may be modified. The original oil and coolant fittings may be modified only at the turbocharger core. The original waste gate or boost control actuator as fitted to the original turbo charger must be retained.

The regs for twin turbo converted to a single specifically prohibit 2 wastegates but the regs for factory single turbo do not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Komdotkom said:

I can't keep up with the rule changes, they seem to change them every year.

Mine is an 89 shell so I suppose I can run in a few classes since mine is fairly standard looking from the outside. It would be nice to have a better turbo and manifold combo though so it doesn't choke the engine.

Slightly off topic, reading the regs for EM2 it states The original waste gate or boost control actuator as fitted to the original turbo charger must be retained.

Do you read this to mean at the exclusion of all other wastegates, or can I just keep it all in place (welded shut) and run a second wastegate.

There is a bit at the top of the rules that says that if it doesn't say it can be modified, it can't be modified.  So there would need to be a rule to say you can run and extra or external waste gate.  Also the EM2 says "as fitted to vehcle" so they didn't come fitted with the gate welded shut.

If you have an 89 shell you have to run in classic, you don't get a choise.

The standard manifold and turbo housings are finefor tarmac rally.  I don't really understand why they allowed twins to be swapped for singles with external gates.  But singles can't be upgraded to an external gate.

• 6 months later...

the car arrived in Tassie a while ago and I've been working on it.  there was more drift damage than I first throught, but after many hours with a porta power it's straight again.

I got some dry ice to remove the sound deadner, wish I'd used it years ago it's so easy.

Finally this week I made a start on the roll cage

DSC_0947.JPG

DSC_0946.JPG

DSC_0933.JPG

DSC_0932.JPG

DSC_0931.JPG

DSC_0930.JPG

DSC_0929.JPG

DSC_0948.JPG

DSC_0949.JPG

DSC_0950.JPG

DSC_0951.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Good progress mate, are you putting Sainz bars in? I've goth this configuration in mine and you need to be a contortionist to get out of the damn thing with winged seats. 

What are you planning for a gearbox? I've been looking at PPG dog sets but kind of think I should just get a Holinger.

1096523880_R32RollCage5.thumb.JPG.33237a7ae1a30f92189e17d24384c584.JPG 

I'm still waiting to get mine back from having the dry sump fitted, it was supposed to be finished before Christmas but the Motec boffin has been on holiday so hopefully back on the rollers next week.

Edited by Komdotkom
  • Like 1

Yeah i've got the Sainz bars half installed.  I had them in the old car and it wasn't too bad to get in and out of once you worked it out.

I've got a Samsonas sequentual on order, Hollinger is much more expensive and bulkier. And I've only ever heard about people breaking PPG boxes.

DSC_0972.JPG

• Like 1