SAU Community

Ats Twin Plate Clutches

You do realise ATS/carbonetic clutches are what Xtreme carbons are ? I run a triple carbon with 1350kg clamp load and 6kg flwheel in my R33 GTR. I kid you not, you would think it is a single plate it's so progressive. Still hooks up awesome too. Get one, you won't be disappointed. Don't believe they won't work cold either. They have been tested to 1000Nm at 70 deg and 1400+Nm at 250 deg. 1500hp rated and driveable ! Absolutely astonishing how a clutch can be so friendly to use but absolutely won't slip too. Got an OS giken R3C in my R32 GTR so I know what a viscious clutch is like. I'm serious - the extreme cermaic single plate was harder to drive than the triple. Every GTR should have a ATS/carbonetics/xtreme triple. Circuit/drag/street - Just amazing !

You do realise ATS/carbonetic clutches are what Xtreme carbons are ? I run a triple carbon with 1350kg clamp load and 6kg flwheel in my R33 GTR. I kid you not, you would think it is a single plate it's so progressive. Still hooks up awesome too. Get one, you won't be disappointed. Don't believe they won't work cold either. They have been tested to 1000Nm at 70 deg and 1400+Nm at 250 deg. 1500hp rated and driveable ! Absolutely astonishing how a clutch can be so friendly to use but absolutely won't slip too. Got an OS giken R3C in my R32 GTR so I know what a viscious clutch is like. I'm serious - the extreme cermaic single plate was harder to drive than the triple. Every GTR should have a ATS/carbonetics/xtreme triple. Circuit/drag/street - Just amazing !

So do you have the Xtreme one or the ATS one?

Cheers,

Its the same clutch mate. I bought it from xtreme, but is made by ATS. Has ATS on clutch and all instructions are the ATS carbonetics ones. That's what I'm saying, xtreme one IS the ATS one.

Its the same clutch mate. I bought it from xtreme, but is made by ATS. Has ATS on clutch and all instructions are the ATS carbonetics ones. That's what I'm saying, xtreme one IS the ATS one.

So if you dont mind me asking, how much did you get it for? Did you get it from Xtreme directly?

Cheers,

Yeah got it direct as my old man's workshop has an account (need an account to buy direct) with Adelaide clutch. The triple carbon was around $2800 trade. That includes full push conversion kit, which is all the genuine nissan stuff - Slave cylinder, gearbox front cover, fork ect. I think the retail is around $3200 - $3500. They are all push clutches though - they don't make pull ones (they don't mention this on the site). Push ones are better anyway though as they are easier to fit, and gives you much more clutch options for GTRs. Not worth going for a twin as the price difference is only a couple of hunderd bucks. I would've went one in the 32 but wasn't convinced on the carbons at that stage and needed a clutch I knew would launch hard repeatedly with over 500+ kw at the wheels. Wish I had've now as the OS giken R3C needs some learning - it's not really a street clutch and would be terrible for a daily driver.

• 9 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No comparison between the two. I'm still running the same 2 ATS carbon triples in my GTRs. No clutch can touch them - none. Ceramic is just shit. Carbon expensive, but worth it. Just replaced my 2 floating discs inside the R32 triple ATS with carbon coated metal floating discs. All 3 existing carbon friction discs were barely worn.

Just to clarify Carbon clutches are generally carbon friction plates against metallic floating discs and metallic pressure plate. I bought these clutches nearly 10 years ago so the price has increased a bit now from then to around $4000ish.

Just to show how far ATS has come now, the ultimate in clutches, ATS do a full carbon/carbon clutch now - 3 month waiting time to be built in single to triple. I think they start at $7000 US (not a typo) but have under 0.1mm wear after 300 launches !

Long story short, GTRs up to 1000 engine hp really only need a ATS carbon twin for about $3k as the triples are rated to 1400hp (overkill) and drive nearly like a stock clutch. Just amazing, highly recommended.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have the ATS triple, as you say, drives great

just wondering , when I back out cold it grabs a little and feels like the car has the handbrake half on, go into first and feels the same for a moment. After that perfect, usually drive 100klm ish every  Sunday no problems with all sorts of driving ?‍♂️

I am not worried about it, been like this for a long time, just wondering if anyone one else has had this experience 

you mentioned the OS Giken , when I bought my 34gtr it had the OS Giken quad in it , had to drive it for the first time in peak hour traffic on Pendant Hills Rd , that was an experience ?

Hi Peter. It does not sound normal. Is yours a spec 1 or 2 and pull or push ? As mentioned I run these ATS spec 1 1350kg / 6kg flywheel push triples in both the 32 and 33 now (got rid of the R3C years ago, my first post in this thread is from 2009 when I first started running them) and I definitely do not experience what you have mentioned. If it doesn't bother you or cause any dramas great, but the next time your box is out it would pay just to check all the specs of everything inside the clutch.

I actually pulled the 32 triple down last year for inspection while a new engine and box was being built, and was still pretty much like new with about 0.2mm total wear across all plates combined, and all plates still dead flat with less than 0.05mm runout on the metal floating discs.

That said, while it was apart I decided to upgrade the metal floating discs and pressure plate to the carbon coated versions (note: they are triple the price of the original ones), which raise the torque and temp handling substantially. The ATS carbon clutches don't appear to be available spec'ed like this when you buy them new, but noticed it in their parts catalogue so I thought I'd try it out. Only difference I noticed is it is a little bit more grabby / bitety from cold, which I was surprised with as now it is essentially carbon on carbon with the plates. Should give them a go if you ever have to pull the clutch out.