SAU Community

Pics Of My Motor Build:

I guess the surprise inside was why the engine was $3500 USD :P ?

"I got everything for 3500 bucks, which, if you know anything about pricing of the GT-R engine, that's a steal."

Edited by moneypit

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess the surprise inside was why the engine was $3500 USD :P ?

"I got everything for 3500 bucks, which, if you know anything about pricing of the GT-R engine, that's a steal."

Haha, well now you can get a GTR engine for 3500 all day long. I bought one 5 years ago for a 240sx for almost 7000 dollars. insane.

That said, I pulled the engine from a running GTR stateside from a guy who was a friend of mine. In fact when I told the guy I bought it from (3 years later) that it was messed up, he gave me an RB30 longblock, but since it won't fit in my my BMW, I'm saving it for another project...

Haha, well now you can get a GTR engine for 3500 all day long. I bought one 5 years ago for a 240sx for almost 7000 dollars. insane.

That said, I pulled the engine from a running GTR stateside from a guy who was a friend of mine. In fact when I told the guy I bought it from (3 years later) that it was messed up, he gave me an RB30 longblock, but since it won't fit in my my BMW, I'm saving it for another project...

love it mate cant wait to see the finished car

Just out of interest what are specs of your rims? I have the same rims on my GTST but they look like some cool offsets where did you get them?

love it mate cant wait to see the finished car

Just out of interest what are specs of your rims? I have the same rims on my GTST but they look like some cool offsets where did you get them?

They are custom made work VSXXs

17X10 +22

17X8.5 +16

why is the manifold runners soooo long and soooooo large in diameter for such a small turbo?

also it could be a good idea to do some proper heat shielding of the exhaust beside the box or u could run into box problems with overheating oil

why is the manifold runners soooo long and soooooo large in diameter for such a small turbo?

also it could be a good idea to do some proper heat shielding of the exhaust beside the box or u could run into box problems with overheating oil

It was the shortest runner length I could use and maintain equal length. Since the turbo sat so far forward, runner number 6 basically dictated overall length.

The diameter isn't that large, really: It's a 1.5" schedule 10 manifold with a wall thickness of .109.

That makes the inside diameter 1.682", that's a flux area of 2.22 in^2

The RB26 exhaust port has a flux area of 1.60 in^2.

That's only 30% larger than port diameter. Which is on target to a decent amount of literature I have read. Shorter runners would have been better for my setup, but it's gotta be what it's gotta be...

* Runner 1: 20.790

* Runner 2: 20.861

* Runner 3: 20.794

* Runner 4: 20.759

* Runner 5: 20.801

* Runner 6: 20.786

Standard deviation: .033

manifold1.gif

Edited by ctnewman

Alot of time and effort there mate, top job so far.

May I ask why the dump going where it does?

SAFE to run it there

looks like it would foul on the steering link if it was in the 'usual' position.

Ive seen EVO drag cars with the turbo mounted behind a shield in the passengers footwell...so i dont see it causing an issue.

Edited by DiRTgarage

Got the transmission in today. Not as easy as I expected, the little bump where the starter goes contacted the firewall. I had previously only installed the trans with no clutch, so it could slide nearly straight up. This was not the case now, but it went in without TOO much effort. Starter went in too.

I also permanently mounted the brake booster as well as the clutch/brake pedal assembly.

Lastly I made up the last piece of the fuel feed line, had to order a few parts from summit to finish up the return, but I know where I am going to mount the regulator now...

I feel it's little stuff like how you mount the lines that really makes a build good... I hate zipties and loose hoses.

trans_in01.jpg

trans_in02.jpg

trans_in03.jpg

trans_in04.jpg

not sure if you already explain but why a bmw?

still, nice build and interesting placement of the custom exhaust. in summer its going to get hot in the drivers seat. also, dont you worry about the exhaust heating the transmission?

with the engine colour at first i was ;) but then :P

good to see different types of car builds out there instead of the same old cars all the time!

you might though need some extra ventilation on hot track days..! and also, is your bonnet going to close properly?

love this build, love the engine, love the wheels.. its a + from another member!

good to see different types of car builds out there instead of the same old cars all the time!

you might though need some extra ventilation on hot track days..! and also, is your bonnet going to close properly?

love this build, love the engine, love the wheels.. its a + from another member!

Thanks!

The hood does close:

DSC01382.jpg

DSC01383.jpg