SAU Community

Just Me Venting.. Why Buy Non Turbo..

how about u n/a haters get out of this thread lol. ur pretty pathetic, im havn a laugh here... how can u say what is the point of owning a skyline without a turbo? LOL shut up we own them because its a skyline and we like skylines, i am on my P's and cant even have a turbo in the car, so does this mean i gota go buy myself a commodore...? f**k u guys r so shit. these are skyline forums not turbo forums... i got it cus its a skyline and i love them.. piss off

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aww come on princess. we all like skylines. and owning an NA on your P's is perfectly acceptable.

also blame marc, he's the one who pointed us all over here lol

Edited by Munkyb0y

I loved my N/A R34, and I love my N/A+t R34. Would I go back to an N/A Skyline? no. particularly in an R34 Sedan, the amount of power for the weight and size of the car just doesn't work so well. The cars really designed to have a turbo attached to its 2.5litres.

Where N/A's really do well is in big displacement and high torque; or smaller displacement, light weight and higher revs and good CR.

The only Skyline that I can REALLY see doing well as an N/A is an R32 simply cause it's far more nimble than say the R34.

Really, the Skyline was designed to be a turbocharged vehicle, making use of 2.5Litres in combination with a turbo to make good power. Nissan have pretty much just removed the turbo, added higher compression pistons and done a few things particularly on the R34 to still get a good car. Yes 2.5Litre 6's make for a good daily for people who aren't after big power.

I bought my R34 Sedan as I wanted practicality of 4 doors (not that there's THAT much more room inside), plus 4 doors doesn't attract anywhere near as much unwanted attention! That and yes I didn't realise that I would be off restrictions after moving to QLD.

In its N/A form it was still a great car to drive, made for a great daily driver, and the main reason I went for a turbo is cause I wanted more power (useable power, not stupidly big outright power that would make my 4 door sedan a bitch to drive as a daily), and lets face it, 2.5Litres of Inline 6 in a heavy chassis means that you're not going to get the same gain per $ keeping it N/A as you would with a turbo, and I can tell you now I wasn't prepared to start stripping my interior and find ways to lighten up my otherwise functional 4 door daily.

I personally think this thread's starting to get out of hand and people are getting to emotionally involved in it all! It originally started as a, "I have an N/A Skyline not a turbo skyline and I'm happy with it, is that so bad?" thread to a war between N/A Skylines and every other car on the road.

Each to their own.. I've owned and driven a stock standard N/A R34, an N/A R34 with suspension, tyres, brakes upgraded, and now ultimately with a turbo. Doesn't mean that I think everyone else should do the same, but I do personally think that if you're wanting a sports car that delivers big power and you think you can do that with an N/A Skyline without investing some serious $$$ and R&D into it all... you're kidding yourself! If you're happy with the results your N/A Skyline delivers then that's fantastic :thumbsup: Just don't have too high expectations and you'll be fine. Well done to those who do get nice responsive power out of an N/A Skyline though.. I've seen the R32 with the RB20DE with ITB's and it's great!!

Also you can't compare N/A's in general cause traditionally "big power" N/A's are big displacement engines, and there's nothing economical and fuel efficient about a big displacement V8 when you make use of that power.

In response to economy, sure some cars are more economical than others, but economy ultimately is about how you drive! I can get decent mileage out of my N/A+t if I want to... or I can guzzle half a tank of fuel in one night! Air + Fuel + Spark = Power.

You're gonna use as much fuel as the air that goes into the engine whether it be forcefed into a small block, or naturally aspirated into a big displacement 8 cylinder. It's just easier to use more fuel if you have a leadfoot and a snail.

how about u n/a haters get out of this thread lol. ur pretty pathetic, im havn a laugh here... how can u say what is the point of owning a skyline without a turbo? LOL shut up we own them because its a skyline and we like skylines, i am on my P's and cant even have a turbo in the car, so does this mean i gota go buy myself a commodore...? f**k u guys r so shit. these are skyline forums not turbo forums... i got it cus its a skyline and i love them.. piss off

was there ever a kid at your school who people picked on simply to watch them flip out (even if they liked them but knew a certain thing would make them lose it)? well on this forum NA owners are that kid, LOL. the people who have come on and said that they have them because they are on their p's we accept. it's the guys who come on raving about how their NA skyline can chop any commodore or falcon on the road and think that NA are the best despite all the facts to prove otherwise are the ones we like to target. or just people like you who fire up. i have never said that NA skylines are shit. simply that they aren't as spectacularly, epically awesome as some of you make them out to be, and that also from a bang for your buck modding point of view, they are at the bottom of the list of the skylines.

This thread wansnt about turbo vs n/a.. so all you turbo boys go get your own thread... did things get a little boring in the forced induction section...

This was about talking about common experiences.. not whats faster.. SKYLINE-SKYLINE support pretty much...

As for people having a go at Missr34, i remember reading about that supercharger rb25de.. no one else had done that.. i admire her for trying to be different.. some people are so arrogant.. so please dont post up shit, coz remember... this isnt about turbo vs n/a.. every one has their own reasons and/or restrictions from them not owning a turbo.... geeesh

:thumbsup:

And as for people who bought R33s for the way it looks, they seriously need to get their eyes checked. At least the turbo ones have some poke to make up for the ho-hum styling.

LOl, i find that funny, we all know the r33 has the best ass end.. and remember guys... its all in the ass :thumbsup:

+1 Nathan. Im happy at the moment with what my N/A 34 delivers...but what I want to have in the future it cannot produce. I think it's a bloody terrific car to use to learn the trade of maintaining a vehicle. The N/A skylines were so ahead of their time and if you don't want a turbo or something everyone else has then it is definitely the car to pick!

Just thought that I should say that I have been in both worlds, n/a for close to a year, turboed for now about 2 all on my p's, even with the vic road laws.

Got the car 2 days before my 18th bday with my own cash.... probably Best feeling you could have, saving up for years and waiting then getting a skyline.... REGARDLESS of n/a or turboed

first off, i got 350-400kms from a tank when the car was n/a... When I first turboed the car with all stock parts, including stock turbo, I was getting a min of 500kms to the tank.... so that theory of using more petrol is only true if ur right foot gets heavier...

secondly, my car came with only a catback exhaust and I put a pod on it... for the first year. It beat my mates ef falcon stock quite easily, not very surprsing, but after he got a full exhuast - extractors to tip, he beat me, not by much, but he did.... (this was all tested on my mates farm with a looong driveway) I know gts4s are a little heavier then gts's but I would like to see an n/a skyline keep up with a late commodore.... around the same age, vn,vs,maybe vt I could understand, but when you get newer with better technology u do find the commodores go up quite a bit in power - stock.

also, even though I have had a few issues with turboing the car - ie. upgrades and support mods, it is now fine and even though it has cost me, everytime that psi hits you and you get pulled into your seat, u really can appreaciate a modified turbo skyline and puts a big grin on your face. lets face it, alot of people on here like the torque, and as we have relatively small displacment motors by comparrison to commodores etc.... turboing is the best way to get that feeling....

finally, regardless of car I laugh at possers, whether its another 33 gts that rocks up next to me with a big fibreglass kit and a gtr badge or a mr lancer pretending to be an evo 6, to call n/a drivers possers is unfair, its what you do with the car and the way you drive that represents yourself.

Adam

The only Skyline that I can REALLY see doing well as an N/A is an R32 simply cause it's far more nimble than say the R34.

i don't think it would. i think the 33 would probably be the best of the NA (except for the r32's with the rb25 in them, although the rb25 in the 32's puts out less power than that in the r33). the r33's aren't really that much heavier than the 32, but the rb25 has much more power and torque, and at lower rpm. 230nm@4800rpm vs 184nm@5200rpm. basically for every kg heavier they are they have 1nm more torque, which still means they have a better power to weight ratio. the missus has a SSS pulsar and i would say that it would out perfrom a natro rb20 r32. they put out a touch less power and torque 179nm@4800rpm, but weigh nearly 200kg less.

i don't think it would. i think the 33 would probably be the best of the NA (except for the r32's with the rb25 in them, although the rb25 in the 32's puts out less power than that in the r33). the r33's aren't really that much heavier than the 32, but the rb25 has much more power and torque, and at lower rpm. 230nm@4800rpm vs 184nm@5200rpm. basically for every kg heavier they are they have 1nm more torque, which still means they have a better power to weight ratio. the missus has a SSS pulsar and i would say that it would out perfrom a natro rb20 r32. they put out a touch less power and torque 179nm@4800rpm, but weigh nearly 200kg less.

Sorry I should have clarified that a bit better.. yes the R32 with the RB25.

Yeah I dunno I've never seen the point in owning an N/A, sure they handle good, but sloooow, and generally lacking in features anyway.

Nobody's fooled, apart from the owners, who always seem to think they are in the real deal and try racing everyone. (had a R33 GTS-4 trying to get me to give it a go recently lol FFS.)

The talk of modifying the non turbo motors reminds me of the kind of people who try and modify 202 powered Holdens to go fast really; lots of money effing around and the end result a cranky motor with average performance that is still trounced by an average 308. MissR34 you were trying to convince us that a supercharger was going to give you 500rwkw then a T51R or something equally ridiculous lol.

Schoolgirls and the retarded might be impressed by a R33 (not even bringing in the boat like styling but thats subjective) but even out here in the boonies there are dozens and dozens of them, with an increasing number owned by bogans who shop at Bob Jane and Supercheap Auto.

Nice comment on the previous page about 'pulling chicks', if you need a car to get skanks you're obviously got the world's most boring personality. Kind of goes hand in hand with driving one to get attention from people; I can guarantee all they are thinking is ("God ANOTHER R33", or "that sounds like shit").

You people dreaming that your 140kw wonders would even KEEP up to a Monaro or whatever it was that was mentioned are dreaming. Maybe up to 40km/h until the LS1 hits powerband?

Mayuri Krab, I find that kind of sad that you've never actually fully boosted your car, don't you feel like you've wasted your money then?

Hahaha what does that make R31 owners then Scathing? BTW I think the legend you're referring to there is that of 'Godzilla'. The single turbo Skylines had already been known in international motorsport well before that.

its not all about performance or attracting tits. fact is, most of us bought an NA because:

A. we didnt wanna get raped by the popo

B. in some cases, living with parents is a limiting factor (ie mothering)

C. turbo vs non turbo look no different, and to be different, chose a non-turbo skyline over the ever rampant commodore

D. they look good stock, as opposed to the real boats which are commodores

its not all about performance or attracting tits. fact is, most of us bought an NA because:

A. we didnt wanna get raped by the popo

B. in some cases, living with parents is a limiting factor (ie mothering)

C. turbo vs non turbo look no different, and to be different, chose a non-turbo skyline over the ever rampant commodore

D. they look good stock, as opposed to the real boats which are commodores

Haha, i know of quite a few people with the "B" problem. A mate of mine isn't allowed a 6 cylinder car or a two door. My dad on the other hand was going to buy me a GT35R powered R33, but a nice "financial situation" put a big stop to that.

Haha, i know of quite a few people with the "B" problem. A mate of mine isn't allowed a 6 cylinder car or a two door. My dad on the other hand was going to buy me a GT35R powered R33, but a nice "financial situation" put a big stop to that.

lol if I was a parent, I would encourage my kids to go for an older model sporty N/A car to learn and practice on, and would in fact encourage them to go along to track days to really learn how to handle a performance car before stepping up to the real deal. Simply restricting until a certain age and then go nuts, is not the way to handle young drivers of performance cars IMO.

In high school I had a mate who his dad was about to buy him a modified S15 Silvia.. till they went for a drive and he asked the owner of the car to "give it a hit". His dad almost crapped himself, told him that he doesn't want to be putting flowers on his own son's grave. In stead he bought him a red Droid Kitted Lancer with massive 18" chrome wheels that you literally could not see behind the wheel and super dark black tints. But hey, after driving that for a year he decided that he was over the whole show car thing and wanted to sell it to help his old man out. lol

In stead he bought him a red Droid Kitted Lancer with massive 18" chrome wheels that you literally could not see behind the wheel and super dark black tints. But hey, after driving that for a year he decided that he was over the whole show car thing and wanted to sell it to help his old man out. lol

kid was probly helping himself out there too...

LOl, i find that funny, we all know the r33 has the best ass end.. and remember guys... its all in the ass ;)

i think you should be corrected on that...............the R34 has the best ass! :devil: